Join Early Retirement Today

Medicare Open Enrollment Ambiguity?
Old 10-29-2019, 08:08 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Medicare Open Enrollment Ambiguity?

I just started Medicare last May, so this is new to me. I know I have read countless warnings to pay attention to Open Enrollment Oct 15 thru Dec 7 to make sure I re-up my coverage. I've never seen one that shows open enrollment is only to change Part D coverage for current participants. Even the notice from Medicare doesn't make that clear (below).

So there's no requirement to re-enroll in Original Medicare, Medigap, Part D or Dental coverage The latter three proactively notified me that I didn't need to do anything, coverage continues through 2020 and thereafter. I did a live chat with Medicare and they confirmed coverages for all are continuous - no need to re-enroll annually.

No big deal, I just wonder why that's not clearly stated.

What am I missing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Medicare.jpg (164.8 KB, 37 views)

Target AA: 40% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 25% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2019, 08:39 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

If you want to stay with your current plan you do not have to do anything. Having said that my part D plan went up in price by 30% so I changed to another plan. I have also read that some gap plans change both in price and doctor networks so I think what they are trying to say is look at what is changing and compare plans.

I agree it could be worded better.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:53 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I just started Medicare last May, so this is new to me. I know I have read countless warnings to pay attention to Open Enrollment Oct 15 thru Dec 7 to make sure I re-up my coverage. I've never seen one that shows open enrollment is only to change Part D coverage for current participants. Even the notice from Medicare doesn't make that clear (below).

So there's no requirement to re-enroll in Original Medicare, Medigap, Part D or Dental coverage The latter three proactively notified me that I didn't need to do anything, coverage continues through 2020 and thereafter. I did a live chat with Medicare and they confirmed coverages for all are continuous - no need to re-enroll annually.

No big deal, I just wonder why that's not clearly stated.

What am I missing?
I agree it is confusing for those of us on original Medicare + Supplement + Part D. But since virtually every Medicare recipient has the opportunity to make changes to some or all (Medicare Advantage) of their Medicare choices during this time period, I suspect it is easier than trying to list all the exceptions in the notice.

Still, it wouldn't hurt to include a footnote to the effect,"Some exclusions may apply".

You may not know it but I'm quite famous

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:00 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I agree it is confusing for those of us on original Medicare + Supplement + Part D. But since virtually every Medicare recipient has the opportunity to make changes to some or all (Medicare Advantage) of their Medicare choices during this time period, I suspect it is easier than trying to list all the exceptions in the notice.

Still, it wouldn't hurt to include a footnote to the effect,"Some exclusions may apply".
I am your age ReWahoo and I am almost at the point that I don't care. I have had Medicare + Supplement + Part D since 2012 and never once used it. I rarely go to Doctors and if I do I never see one. I have never had any surgeries, never spent a day in a hospital . I do take B/P meds and this time of year it is especially needed

Heck, I am a healthy 72 year old which probably is lucky so why not gamble and take the MA plan I think that's what these companies are trying to make me do anyway
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
I am your age ReWahoo and I am almost at the point that I don't care. I have had Medicare + Supplement + Part D since 2012 and never once used it. I rarely go to Doctors and if I do I never see one. I have never had any surgeries, never spent a day in a hospital . I do take B/P meds and this time of year it is especially needed

Heck, I am a healthy 72 year old which probably is lucky so why not gamble and take the MA plan I think that's what these companies are trying to make me do anyway
You really don't need it - until you do.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:04 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You really don't need it - until you do.
Yes, same with all insurance which I pay a lot of money per year for .

You have a long term policy Re Wahoo ? I don't . Part of the gamble I guess
Old 10-30-2019, 08:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Yes, same with all insurance which I pay a lot of money per year for .
I feel your pain. Insurance (home, auto, RV, umbrella, health, LTC) is the largest category of our annual spending - almost 12% of the total.

Quote:

You have a long term policy Re Wahoo ? I don't . Part of the gamble I guess
Yes - and I sincerely hope I'm wasting every penny I spend paying the premiums.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:24 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I feel your pain. Insurance (home, auto, RV, umbrella, health, LTC) is the largest category of our annual spending - almost 12% of the total.
Double that in my case

Yes - and I sincerely hope I'm wasting every penny I spend paying the premiums.
So do I
Old 11-05-2019, 07:21 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
...I sincerely hope I'm wasting every penny I spend paying the premiums.
This is the best way to look at insurance costs.

You don't normally think, "Well, darn, I didn't get my money's worth out of my homeowner's policy this year!" or "Sure wish I could have had a big claim on that pesky comprehensive policy I've been paying for all this time...."

*We may have gotten our money's worth from homeowner's this year - with a seemingly healthy 100-ft tree falling on our house during an ice storm. Not fun.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:17 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another confusing thing for newbies is that you better sign up for Part A but maybe not Plan A. Part B is $135.50 per month but I can get Plan B for $114. I won't go on.

Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote