Medicare Open Enrollment Ambiguity?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I just started Medicare last May, so this is new to me. I know I have read countless warnings to pay attention to Open Enrollment Oct 15 thru Dec 7 to make sure I re-up my coverage. I've never seen one that shows open enrollment is only to change Part D coverage for current participants. Even the notice from Medicare doesn't make that clear (below).

So there's no requirement to re-enroll in Original Medicare, Medigap, Part D or Dental coverage :confused: The latter three proactively notified me that I didn't need to do anything, coverage continues through 2020 and thereafter. I did a live chat with Medicare and they confirmed coverages for all are continuous - no need to re-enroll annually.

No big deal, I just wonder why that's not clearly stated.

What am I missing?

Attachments

• Medicare.jpg
    Medicare.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 37
If you want to stay with your current plan you do not have to do anything. Having said that my part D plan went up in price by 30% so I changed to another plan. I have also read that some gap plans change both in price and doctor networks so I think what they are trying to say is look at what is changing and compare plans.

I agree it could be worded better.

I just started Medicare last May, so this is new to me. I know I have read countless warnings to pay attention to Open Enrollment Oct 15 thru Dec 7 to make sure I re-up my coverage. I've never seen one that shows open enrollment is only to change Part D coverage for current participants. Even the notice from Medicare doesn't make that clear (below).

So there's no requirement to re-enroll in Original Medicare, Medigap, Part D or Dental coverage :confused: The latter three proactively notified me that I didn't need to do anything, coverage continues through 2020 and thereafter. I did a live chat with Medicare and they confirmed coverages for all are continuous - no need to re-enroll annually.

No big deal, I just wonder why that's not clearly stated.

What am I missing?

I agree it is confusing for those of us on original Medicare + Supplement + Part D. But since virtually every Medicare recipient has the opportunity to make changes to some or all (Medicare Advantage) of their Medicare choices during this time period, I suspect it is easier than trying to list all the exceptions in the notice.

Still, it wouldn't hurt to include a footnote to the effect,"Some exclusions may apply". :)

Last edited:
I agree it is confusing for those of us on original Medicare + Supplement + Part D. But since virtually every Medicare recipient has the opportunity to make changes to some or all (Medicare Advantage) of their Medicare choices during this time period, I suspect it is easier than trying to list all the exceptions in the notice.

Still, it wouldn't hurt to include a footnote to the effect,"Some exclusions may apply". :)
I am your age ReWahoo and I am almost at the point that I don't care. I have had Medicare + Supplement + Part D since 2012 and never once used it. I rarely go to Doctors and if I do I never see one. I have never had any surgeries, never spent a day in a hospital . I do take B/P meds and this time of year it is especially needed :)

Heck, I am a healthy 72 year old which probably is lucky so why not gamble and take the MA plan :facepalm: I think that's what these companies are trying to make me do anyway :cool:

I am your age ReWahoo and I am almost at the point that I don't care. I have had Medicare + Supplement + Part D since 2012 and never once used it. I rarely go to Doctors and if I do I never see one. I have never had any surgeries, never spent a day in a hospital . I do take B/P meds and this time of year it is especially needed :)

Heck, I am a healthy 72 year old which probably is lucky so why not gamble and take the MA plan :facepalm: I think that's what these companies are trying to make me do anyway :cool:

You really don't need it - until you do.

You really don't need it - until you do.
Yes, same with all insurance which I pay a lot of money per year for .

You have a long term policy Re Wahoo ? I don't . Part of the gamble I guess :facepalm:

Yes, same with all insurance which I pay a lot of money per year for .

I feel your pain. Insurance (home, auto, RV, umbrella, health, LTC) is the largest category of our annual spending - almost 12% of the total.

You have a long term policy Re Wahoo ? I don't . Part of the gamble I guess :facepalm:

Yes - and I sincerely hope I'm wasting every penny I spend paying the premiums.

Last edited:
I feel your pain. Insurance (home, auto, RV, umbrella, health, LTC) is the largest category of our annual spending - almost 12% of the total.
Double that in my case :)

Yes - and I sincerely hope I'm wasting every penny I spend paying the premiums.
So do I :cool:

...I sincerely hope I'm wasting every penny I spend paying the premiums.

This is the best way to look at insurance costs.

You don't normally think, "Well, darn, I didn't get my money's worth out of my homeowner's policy this year!" or "Sure wish I could have had a big claim on that pesky comprehensive policy I've been paying for all this time...."

*We may have gotten our money's worth from homeowner's this year - with a seemingly healthy 100-ft tree falling on our house during an ice storm. Not fun.

Last edited:
Another confusing thing for newbies is that you better sign up for Part A but maybe not Plan A. Part B is $135.50 per month but I can get Plan B for $114. I won't go on.

Back
Top Bottom