Medicare Part B Premiums will Eat Our COLA SS Increase

MelissaKay

Confused about dryer sheets
I just read that retirees who are paying a smaller Part B premium will not see their COLA increase on their Social Security check that was announced for 2018.

Apparently, if your premium is automatically deducted from your check, the 2.2% COLA increase will pay the difference between the discounted premium and standard premium amount of $134.

Anyone else a little upset that the first decent COLA increase will get eaten up by our Part B premium?:mad:

https://www.medicarefaq.com/faqs/medicare-part-b-premiums-for-2018/

That's right. You paid lower Medicare premiums for a year or two because you were held harmless, while new enrollees and higher income recipients paid the higher rate. Now you'll be catching up with them.

Yes, no reason to be upset, it's just settling back to where it should be. BTW, it's 2% not 2.2%.

Personally I have been paying $187.50/month for Medicare Part B this year, because my 2015 income was just over the line. This was because I goofed when juggling things around to buy my Dream Home in cash on a moment's notice back in 2015. Oops! Once again, a solid demonstration of the fact that I am nowhere near perfect and when I get excited about something, I am likely to mess up. :duh:

So, this year, not only will be Part B apparently go down from $187.50 to $134, but ALSO I will be getting a 2% raise in SS.

I know that not everyone is in this situation, but me? I am not one bit upset about the COLA increase and the change in my Medicare Part B payments.

:dance:

Last edited:
As a new Medicare person who did not collect SS benefits, I have been paying the higher premiums while you haven't. You got a break I didn't. My recommendation is to say nothing lest the powers-that-be realize how unfair it is and eliminate the hold-harmless provision.

Like my old grand pappy used to say "When you've got a good thing going, Shut Up!"

Did you notice the big change in the upper income thresholds for 2018?

For married folks with incomes below $214K and single filers under $107K, there is not change.
Medicare-Part-B-Premium-Increases-for-2018.png

2018-IRMAA-Part-B.png

Anyone else a little upset that the first decent COLA increase will get eaten up by our Part B premium?:mad:

AFAIK, that's how it's supposed to work.

Regardless, can't get too excited about a 2.2% increase in pay.

When you were working, your employer's medical insurance premium increases have been eating any raises you might have gotten. So, nothing really new.

Back
Top Bottom