Medicare Part D 2021 price increases

We have Anthem Blue RX. It is going up $1.00 from 18.90 to 19.90 and deductible is going up from $300 to $340. I don’t take any prescriptions and DH takes one that costs $6.00 a month.

Should the Barrett nomination go through and ACA be eventually voided (as expected but perhaps not the reality, to be sure and it almost surely will be different than what is expected), it will be interesting to see the effects on the FIRE group.

There are so many unknowables, so all of you doing the 2 or 3% withdrawals are undoubtedly smarter than me. Kudoes to you all.

I'm covered by state plan, so it may have something of an effect on me, but pretty minimal.
If you're counting on ACA, good luck, although if you're not sick it's probably a no brainer. If you or your significant other are sick, you might want to consider an alternate scenario (20-60%--I have no clue how to game this in terms of increased or decreased costs. No clue.)
If you're like me, covered with a State Employee plan, it doesn't really have much of an effect.

I have no clue how to game this--it's beyond me.

Last edited:
My twin had a progressive neurological disease, so I'm paranoid about you all. I was behind the door and dodged the bullet, so apparently no matter how much I drink, I'm pretty safe, as my doctor tells me. His expenses were massively expensive--and covered by insurance back in the day (20 years ago).

Good luck to all of you and perhaps nothing will change for you, either in ACA or medically. I hope so. I wish all of you well!

Last edited:
How about my plan that went up from $14.20 to $34.40 with no medication changes:confused:

EnvisionRx was acquired by Elixir and that's the only change that I've noticed.

I just got my EnvisionRx/Elixir change notice. My Premium is going from $14.20 to $29.30 and the deductible from $435 to $445.

Luckily, I am not on any Rxs. And I will be shopping for a better-priced plan.

Glancing at the just-opened (effective 30 minutes ago) Medicare Pan Finder site shows Aetna's SilverScript SmartRx at $6.90/mo for my state with deductible of $445. I think we have a winnah!

(And I will have just saved $268.80 for my 10 minutes of work.)

omni

Last edited:
How about my plan that went up from $14.20 to $34.40 with no medication changes:confused:

EnvisionRx was acquired by Elixir and that's the only change that I've noticed.

I have the same increase from Envision/Elixir. Not very happy about it. I will look to change provider.

I hope this doesn't sound too cavalier but I don't worry too much about my HC costs at this point. They seem to have stabilized since going on MC. I've got my supplements all locked in as well. Yes, they've gone up a bit, but NOW that I've gotten from age 58 (FIRE) to early 70s (several years on MC now) my ONLY big worry (losing health insurance and being forced to go "find" new health insurance) is GONE. One of the few advantages of getting old seems to be health care costs. Go figure!! Of course, YMMV.

I hope this doesn't sound too cavalier but I don't worry too much about my HC costs at this point. They seem to have stabilized since going on MC. I've got my supplements all locked in as well. Yes, they've gone up a bit, but NOW that I've gotten from age 58 (FIRE) to early 70s (several years on MC now) my ONLY big worry (losing health insurance and being forced to go "find" new health insurance) is GONE. One of the few advantages of getting old seems to be health care costs. Go figure!! Of course, YMMV.

Koolau, even if you are not concerned about costs if you have Medicare Plan D you should check it on the Medicare website just to be sure that your plan is still the best one for you --that it still covers all your drugs, etc. Every Part D plan changes every year.

I am so not looking forward to wading through this stuff.
I think it's a triumvirate... Medicare, Social Security, and the Tax Code.

We like what we (eventually) get with two of them, but not the third :D

Just got an email that my Humana Walmart Value RX Part D premium is going up in 2021 from $13.20 to $17.20 per month. The Part D change period is 10/15-12/7 so I will be looking for a new policy. I fortunately take no prescription drugs so I usually get the least expensive policy. Anyone else heard from their Part D about price increases?
I have the same policy with the same increase. I started in March, so it took less than 7 months before a get notice of an increase :-(

I have a question about coverage, has anyone had their Shingrix caccine covered by the Humana Walmart Value RX policy. I got a no from Human and a yes from Boomer. Humana said they do cover the older Zostavax vacine, but not Shingrix.

Each year, the question is asked about picking one plan and then going on a new non-formulary prescription mid-year. For inexpensive drugs, use a discount program like GoodRx. For expensive drugs, the prescribing doctor can submit a Formulary Exception Request to potentially have the drug added to the formulary for your account until the next AEP. Sample Exception Request Form: https://docushare-web.apps.cf.humana.com/Marketing/docushare-app?file=1828827

The GoodRx advice is a good one to keep in mind and complicates the analysis
in future yrs. I have the El Cheapo plan and then was prescribed something not on the formulary. The Formulary Exception Request was denied unless the brand drug (even more expensive) had been tried and did not work. I was actually mistakenly happy to pay a high price at the pharmacy since I thought the price was going to be much higher (generic vs brand).

Later I remembered Good Rx and found out it would have been less than half what I had paid. I then made the mistake about not doing anything......turns out if you ask within a week , the pharmacy can make adjustments to the price.

For this coming yr, I will have to compare El Cheapo plan plus GoodRx vs
other plans that may charge more for monthly premiums but may cover the drug in question........and before deductible vs after deductible prices.....
also will have to determine whether drug is for short or longer term use.

Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
just got my notice. the renewal premium for the wellcare wellness rx (pdp) went from $13.30 to $14.70. Deductible for tiers 3 to 5 from $435 to $445.
Same plan here. We switched to this in January, and it's saved us $600 a year in DH's meds. Well worth it. I can handle that kind of an annual increase.

My head is exploding..My wife's WalMart Human plan also went up just like the original post.. We never use it..We either use the Kroger plan we joined for $35.00/yr or GoodRx..WE only carry the PDP to avoid future penalties..Two questions:
1. Does the Kroger plan alone qualify to avoid future penalties?
2. How do we change plans?

My head is exploding..My wife's WalMart Human plan also went up just like the original post.. We never use it..We either use the Kroger plan we joined for $35.00/yr or GoodRx..WE only carry the PDP to avoid future penalties..Two questions:
1. Does the Kroger plan alone qualify to avoid future penalties?
2. How do we change plans?

Q#1 I don't know what the Kroger plan is but I doubt it will qualify as a Part D plan which will prevent future penalties. It is probably just some sort of discount card--I have never heard of a Part D plan that costs $35 per year. You could ask the Kroger pharmacist.

Q#2--In order to change from the Walmart Humana plan after 10/15 and before 12/7 go to Medicare.gov Drug Coverage and follow the instructions. If you want to change to a different plan just do it there on the Medicare site and they will enroll you in the new plan and cancel the old plan for you.

Q#1 I don't know what the Kroger plan is but I doubt it will qualify as a Part D plan which will prevent future penalties. It is probably just some sort of discount card--I have never heard of a Part D plan that costs $35 per year. You could ask the Kroger pharmacist.

Q#2--In order to change from the Walmart Humana plan after 10/15 and before 12/7 go to Medicare.gov Drug Coverage and follow the instructions. If you want to change to a different plan just do it there on the Medicare site and they will enroll you in the new plan and cancel the old plan for you.

Outstanding! Thanks!

I have the same policy with the same increase. I started in March, so it took less than 7 months before a get notice of an increase :-(

I have a question about coverage, has anyone had their Shingrix caccine covered by the Humana Walmart Value RX policy. I got a no from Human and a yes from Boomer. Humana said they do cover the older Zostavax vacine, but not Shingrix.

Hey, I started in August and got the same notice! I have only used it once for a flu shot! LOL!

Koolau, even if you are not concerned about costs if you have Medicare Plan D you should check it on the Medicare website just to be sure that your plan is still the best one for you --that it still covers all your drugs, etc. Every Part D plan changes every year.

Thanks! Wil do. I have only one drug which is "kinda" pricey. I'll check on it. Aloha.

AARP UHC Walgreens. Currently $34.10. Will be $31.90. But I may change. Right now I take one prescription not subject to deductible.

OK, so now I do have to pay attention. I was taking one Tier 1 drug that was $0. So my only prescription expense was for the Part D plan which was actually covered by the retirement benefit from DH's megacorp. This plan was perfect. Megacorp reimburses a set amount each year for Part D and for Part B premium and it matched the above Part D plan and my Part D within $5 (I left a few dollars unused). I do have to buy may Part D through Via Benefits.

Well. Due to side affects of alendronate (bad enough I had to have an endoscopy and dilate my throat), that class of drugs is not good for me. And, the doctor pretty firmly felt that Prolia is best. Well, it is about $1300 twice a year (depending on plan/pharmacy). So I will blow through the deductible and will have to pay some co-payment percentage that really drives up the cost. Actually for last year, the cheapest total cost for me according to Via Benefits was a more expensive Mutual of Omaha plan where there is a set dollar amount copay for the Prolia instead which ends up saving for a year a few hundred dollars.

Doctor says I can want to January to start this so come tomorrow I will start researching the new plans to find out what will end up being the least expensive. That said even the least expensive overall cost will be over $1000 more a year than what I have been paying....

OK, so now I do have to pay attention. I was taking one Tier 1 drug that was $0. So my only prescription expense was for the Part D plan which was actually covered by the retirement benefit from DH's megacorp. This plan was perfect. Megacorp reimburses a set amount each year for Part D and for Part B premium and it matched the above Part D plan and my Part D within $5 (I left a few dollars unused). I do have to buy may Part D through Via Benefits.

Well. Due to side affects of alendronate (bad enough I had to have an endoscopy and dilate my throat), that class of drugs is not good for me. And, the doctor pretty firmly felt that Prolia is best. Well, it is about $1300 twice a year (depending on plan/pharmacy). So I will blow through the deductible and will have to pay some co-payment percentage that really drives up the cost. Actually for last year, the cheapest total cost for me according to Via Benefits was a more expensive Mutual of Omaha plan where there is a set dollar amount copay for the Prolia instead which ends up saving for a year a few hundred dollars.

Doctor says I can want to January to start this so come tomorrow I will start researching the new plans to find out what will end up being the least expensive. That said even the least expensive overall cost will be over $1000 more a year than what I have been paying....

Katsmeow, in addition to looking for Part D coverage, check out the cost on Good Rx and also canadian pharmacies.

Mr

Just got an email that my Humana Walmart Value RX Part D premium is going up in 2021 from $13.20 to $17.20 per month. The Part D change period is 10/15-12/7 so I will be looking for a new policy. I fortunately take no prescription drugs so I usually get the least expensive policy. Anyone else heard from their Part D about price increases?

I switched from Humana Walmart Value Rx to WellCare Wellness Rx PDP. My monthly 2020 plan premium is $13.20 and the new 2021 monthly plan premium is $14.70

Just checked on the medicare website for the preview of Part D plans. My existing Wellcare Select plan premium has increased by about $4 per month to $17.60 but get this: it looks like my atorvasatin 10 mg prescription has gone off the formulary and will now cost $220 per filled prescription!!! Could that be true? My best option appears to be the Silverscript smart rx from Aetna that costs $6.60 per month and all three drugs I take covered at zero cost.

Just checked on the medicare website for the preview of Part D plans. My existing Wellcare Select plan premium has increased by about $4 per month to $17.60 but get this: it looks like my atorvasatin 10 mg prescription has gone off the formulary and will now cost $220 per filled prescription!!! Could that be true? My best option appears to be the Silverscript smart rx from Aetna that costs $6.60 per month and all three drugs I take covered at zero cost.

What a racket!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom