Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-06-2020, 01:20 PM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post

There seemed to be discussion that previously it was covered by Part B but Medicare decided that it could be self administered so it was now Part D (unless home healthcare applies).

So that puts me thoroughly confused.

I do plan to call my Doctor's office. But I am concerned they will tell me it is covered by Part B and do the injection then it turns out not to be I have to pay them out of pocket for the full cost of the injection with no Part D help. Sigh....
That is not our actual experience in 2019 and 2020. Prolia in Doctor's office was covered all three shots so far and we fully expect it to cover it next month for number 4. Our clinic used to do a prequalify and an actual cost quote for out of pocket cost pre-medicare on Prolia so we know what the cost was before hand. I assume they would do that on Medicare.
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2020, 10:44 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
That is not our actual experience in 2019 and 2020. Prolia in Doctor's office was covered all three shots so far and we fully expect it to cover it next month for number 4. Our clinic used to do a prequalify and an actual cost quote for out of pocket cost pre-medicare on Prolia so we know what the cost was before hand. I assume they would do that on Medicare.
Yes, I am going to call and find out how they handle it. This doctor's office is often not that great on some insurance stuff. DH just had lab work done and they managed to not give the lab any of his insurance info (the blood was drawn in their office so DH never dealt with the lab). So the lab billed him for the full cost of the lab work. he called and submitted the info but the doctor's office certainly fell down on that. I want to make sure they get this right. Your wife's information certainly does support the notion that this is covered for shots in the doctor's office. So, that makes me hopeful.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:13 AM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Need some help on the Medicare.gov Part D website for DH. He takes several prescription drugs and has entered them all on Medicare.gov and done a search for the best Part D plan for 2020. But many of the plans say "drug pricing information is not currently available". Is anyone else seeing this? Is the Medicare.gov site not up to date yet for 2020?
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:51 AM   #124
Give me a forum ...

I just signed up for the Aetna Medicare Part D Plan for $7.30.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:03 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

We were informed about a week ago that our Medicare part D pricing would remain the same in 2021 "BUT" to keep it we must convert to their Medicare Advantage program... (my previous employers retiree insurance program) Basically they want it all or nothing. And if you "opt out", all your dependents in the plan are also forced out and can never get back in.

There should be a law against "effectively" forcing you to their Medicare Advantage program.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:55 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

DH also signed up for the Aetna SmartRX Medicare Part D through Medicare.gov following the Boomer Benefits advice. Due to changes in the Medicare online state last year, Boomer Benefits is no longer able to use the Part D plan finder in a way that they can save drug and other information for their clients. The provide tutorials instead about how to use Medicare.gov yourself to evaluate plans during the open enrollment period.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:52 PM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

Like many others here my Humana Walmart Value RX Part D premium is going up in 2021 from $13.20 to $17.20 per month. I'm switching to Aetna Silver Script SmartRx for $7.20 per month. Currently take zero prescriptions so this plan will work for me.

DektolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:04 PM   #128
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DektolMan View Post
Like many others here my Humana Walmart Value RX Part D premium is going up in 2021 from $13.20 to $17.20 per month. I'm switching to Aetna Silver Script SmartRx for $7.20 per month. Currently take zero prescriptions so this plan will work for me.

My situation is yours exactly.. IT was a no brainer..
I switched today..
Old 10-16-2020, 07:12 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
We were informed about a week ago that our Medicare part D pricing would remain the same in 2021 "BUT" to keep it we must convert to their Medicare Advantage program... (my previous employers retiree insurance program) Basically they want it all or nothing. And if you "opt out", all your dependents in the plan are also forced out and can never get back in.

There should be a law against "effectively" forcing you to their Medicare Advantage program.
I'm sorry to say, there is no law that guarantee's that your previous employer will continue any kind of retiree medical plan or assistance at all. It is happening all the time. The MC mantra of "the only thing constant is change" is unfortunately true even after you leave/retire.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:47 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
........There should be a law against "effectively" forcing you to their Medicare Advantage program.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
I'm sorry to say, there is no law that guarantee's that your previous employer will continue any kind of retiree medical plan or assistance at all. It is happening all the time. The MC mantra of "the only thing constant is change" is unfortunately true even after you leave/retire.
Yup!!!
And the consequences pre-ACA could be dire indeed! When I left megacorp years ago in the crash of an industry in the 2000-2002 recession, I was a bit miffed that I missed any retirement medical at all by little over a year. But no worry... megacorp killed all retiree medical starting the year after! Those who were 65 or older and retired had Medicare, they lost some $ help from the plan, but they could make it. But those <65 who had E-R'd, or Early E-R'd and had or developed health problems that would not pass underwriting were in big trouble! The only alternative insurance was private medical, to which pre-existing conditions were Kryptonite. An early-retired lady was in a battle with cancer. She moved out of the area ASAP to go live with her daughter up in her old home state, to save $ and try to survive somehow.

A few years ago, the state of Texas moved just about all retired teachers to a custom MA plan. Take it or leave it. Actually, it is the most unlike-an-MA-plan I've ever heard of, no networks, see anyone who accepts Medicare assignment, a $500 deductible, etc.. Unusual! The previous hodge-podge of retirement medical plans they had were too good to be true, tremendous money gobblers, came real close to disaster of a shut down.

In the past I've pointed this out to people I knew who bragged about their retiree medical plan. They mistakenly thought those benefits were set in stone. The biggest danger by far is to those <65, the Early Retirees. At least there is ACA now (?), but the premiums may be high. Still insurance, versus no insurance at all due to pre-existing conditions. I hope we do not go back to the dark ages. DW and I will be OK, we're >65, Medicare age now, but I do worry about all the others, and many here at E-R.org.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:06 PM   #131

Back on the Part D 2021 price increases topic...

I'm a bit leery of a ~$7.50 premium Part D plan. How so cheap compared to everyone else? Not a little bit lower, a very large amount percentage-wise lower. A magical patented solution no others can use? Yeah, I'm a bit of a skeptic. Welcome to my parlor, said the spider to the fly...
Or a carnival barker hawking it.

I'm not trying to convince anyone out of it. We need test subjects! Also to see the longer-term effects (like y'all bailing out with singed feathers smoking at the 2022 Open Enrollment). Or saying what a wonderful world this has been.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:25 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
In the past I've pointed this out to people I knew who bragged about their retiree medical plan. They mistakenly thought those benefits were set in stone. The biggest danger by far is to those <65, the Early Retirees. At least there is ACA now (?), but the premiums may be high. Still insurance, versus no insurance at all due to pre-existing conditions. I hope we do not go back to the dark ages. .....
Funny, how I can hardly wait to get to the magic age of 65 before the rug is pulled out from under us.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:28 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
I'm sorry to say, there is no law that guarantee's that your previous employer will continue any kind of retiree medical plan or assistance at all. It is happening all the time.

It's the "implied" promises they break that p*** me off... I watched my employer pull some pretty s****y deals while I was employed by them for almost 30 years. It taught me pretty early they only really care about one thing... "And it ain't the employees". Between HR and the hundreds of company lawyers they can justify just about anything, "for the good of the company".
Old 10-17-2020, 07:44 AM   #134

Medicare Part D 2021 price increases

I am also considering the Aetna SilverScript SmartRx for $7.50/mo.

I’m thinking that this is like a loss leader at a store. Get lots of new customers to sign on and then next year raise the price to a level closer to all the other Part D plans, like $15-$18 and hope the customers stay.

Early on, this plan was thought to have a very small formulary but looking at the actual formulary it’s got plenty in there. DHs nadolol is included at tier 2 and he would have to meet the deductible. He’s willing to just use GoodRx instead.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:55 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

In my area the $7.50 Silverscript plan has a limited pharmacy network--CVS and one grocery store so check to make sure it includes a pharmacy you want to use. I decided not to go with Silverscript but take a slightly more expensive plan that I can use at my local pharmacy.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:08 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
Back on the Part D 2021 price increases topic...

I'm a bit leery of a ~$7.50 premium Part D plan. How so cheap compared to everyone else? Not a little bit lower, a very large amount percentage-wise lower. A magical patented solution no others can use? Yeah, I'm a bit of a skeptic. Welcome to my parlor, said the spider to the fly...
Or a carnival barker hawking it.

I'm not trying to convince anyone out of it. We need test subjects! Also to see the longer-term effects (like y'all bailing out with singed feathers smoking at the 2022 Open Enrollment). Or saying what a wonderful world this has been.
I believe it’s simply targeted to those like DH who have no prescriptions and very rarely have a one-off inexpensive short prescription. Basically a placeholder to fulfill a requirement.

It’s only for 2021. Not concerned about singed feathers. We’ll see what is offered for 2022.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:13 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
In my area the $7.50 Silverscript plan has a limited pharmacy network--CVS and one grocery store so check to make sure it includes a pharmacy you want to use. I decided not to go with Silverscript but take a slightly more expensive plan that I can use at my local pharmacy.
I noticed that they had a preferred and a standard pharmacy network, and the standard ones would cost just a little more.

In our case the preferred pharmacy options included ones we use already and even included Costco, so it was a good match.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:55 AM   #138
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Need some help on the Medicare.gov Part D website for DH. He takes several prescription drugs and has entered them all on Medicare.gov and done a search for the best Part D plan for 2020. But many of the plans say "drug pricing information is not currently available". Is anyone else seeing this? Is the Medicare.gov site not up to date yet for 2020?
This is my first time trying to figure out Part D (for my wife), so I don't have an answer for you. But I do have an observation ...

I went through the tedious process of entering all her prescriptions via medicare.gov, then sorted the resulting list by total cost. I put the cheapest 12 or so into a spreadsheet, so I could sort them by price (one sort for retail, then sort for mail-order).

A few days later I realized that for any given plan, I could get details of the actual cost for up to 5 pharmacies. But 4 of the plans (namely those from Cigna and Express Scripts) are now showing "N/A" instead of the total cost numbers that I got a few days ago. So for those plans I can't get details of the total cost for each pharmacy.

I got the prices originally on 10/15 or 10/16. Could it be that they were 2020 prices for those 4 plans (even though I said I wanted 2021 prices)? Surely they should have shown "N/A" from the start, rather than displaying incorrect (presumably too low) prices.

How reliable is medicare.gov for this kind of decision? Can I expect the prescription prices to match what they said they would be over the whole of next year?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
wenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:20 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenglish View Post
This is my first time trying to figure out Part D (for my wife), so I don't have an answer for you. But I do have an observation ...

I went through the tedious process of entering all her prescriptions via medicare.gov, then sorted the resulting list by total cost. I put the cheapest 12 or so into a spreadsheet, so I could sort them by price (one sort for retail, then sort for mail-order).

A few days later I realized that for any given plan, I could get details of the actual cost for up to 5 pharmacies. But 4 of the plans (namely those from Cigna and Express Scripts) are now showing "N/A" instead of the total cost numbers that I got a few days ago. So for those plans I can't get details of the total cost for each pharmacy.

I got the prices originally on 10/15 or 10/16. Could it be that they were 2020 prices for those 4 plans (even though I said I wanted 2021 prices)? Surely they should have shown "N/A" from the start, rather than displaying incorrect (presumably too low) prices.

How reliable is medicare.gov for this kind of decision? Can I expect the prescription prices to match what they said they would be over the whole of next year?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
DH also keeps seeing "N/A" on drug prices for Cigna plans on Medicare.gov. He has tried to call Cigna but can never get through on the phone so he said he will eliminate that company from consideration. As for reliability of the Medicare.gov site I would like to know the answer to that question also. If the Medicare.gov site shows a price for a drug is the insurance company obligated to cover the drug for that price?
Old 10-20-2020, 06:11 AM   #140

Quote:

Cigna sent this email to brokers on Saturday. Quirks like this seem to happen each year so I've started advising those taking prescriptions to wait until November.

"Dear Valued Broker,

We’ve identified an issue with our 2021 prescription drug plans’ (PDP) pricing posted on CMS’ Plan Finder tool (Medicare.gov). The drug pricing posted for our three Cigna and three Express Scripts PDPs is incorrect. While consumers will be able to enroll, neither you nor your customers will be able to fully evaluate 2021 PDP pricing using CMS’ Plan Finder tool (Medicare.gov).

This does NOT impact our MAPD plans for 2021.

We are working diligently to correct the issue and expect to have the pricing corrected on Medicare.gov no later than October 26th. We suggest that you revisit the site on the date listed."

Quote:
Can I expect the prescription prices to match what they said they would be over the whole of next year?
See below.

Quote:
Why do the costs I pay for my drugs change throughout the year?
...There are times when the manufacturer increases the cost of a drug. If you are paying a percentage of that cost, then when the cost increases, both you and your plan will be paying more for the drug.

Source: https://www.silverscript.com/faq/why...ghout-the-year
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote