Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-20-2020, 07:31 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My DH has been on the phone about an hour with Cigna (on hold at least 30 minutes) trying to figure out why Medicare.gov does not show his drug prices for Cigna. He could never get a straight answer. He is currently with Cigna but he is giving up on them and will go with another company, after all he has 31 choices on Medicare.gov!
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2020, 07:41 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
My DH has been on the phone about an hour with Cigna (on hold at least 30 minutes) trying to figure out why Medicare.gov does not show his drug prices for Cigna. He could never get a straight answer. He is currently with Cigna but he is giving up on them and will go with another company, after all he has 31 choices on Medicare.gov!
What's the rush, you have until Dec 7 to make a change, right? See MBSC's post above and wait a couple of weeks for them to correct the website.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:17 AM   #143
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSC View Post
Cigna sent this email to brokers on Saturday. Quirks like this seem to happen each year so I've started advising those taking prescriptions to wait until November.

"Dear Valued Broker,

We’ve identified an issue with our 2021 prescription drug plans’ (PDP) pricing posted on CMS’ Plan Finder tool (Medicare.gov). The drug pricing posted for our three Cigna and three Express Scripts PDPs is incorrect. While consumers will be able to enroll, neither you nor your customers will be able to fully evaluate 2021 PDP pricing using CMS’ Plan Finder tool (Medicare.gov).

This does NOT impact our MAPD plans for 2021.

We are working diligently to correct the issue and expect to have the pricing corrected on Medicare.gov no later than October 26th. We suggest that you revisit the site on the date listed."
Thanks MSBC. I will cool my heels for a bit.

I'm stressed because her "membership" in part B (to start 1/1/2021) isn't showing up on medicare.gov yet, and I don't want to run out of time to get her set up for Part B, then Part D, and then Medigap before their respective deadlines (she's in a special enrollment period so the regular deadlines may not apply). I just want to get this done and onto the next major stressors - open enrollment for my workplace health insurance, and of course taxes
wenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:48 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
What's the rush, you have until Dec 7 to make a change, right? See MBSC's post above and wait a couple of weeks for them to correct the website.
No particular rush (although I would not recommend waiting until the last minute to make the change) but after talking to the clueless and somewhat rude Cigna employee on the phone this morning DH decided to find a more competent company to deal with. DH takes several prescriptions so he likes to take his time and compare all the plans available to him on Medicare.gov. This year there are 31 plans (less 3 from Cigna that do not show the drug info). It will take him a week or two to make a final decision.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:03 PM   #145
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DektolMan View Post
Like many others here my Humana Walmart Value RX Part D premium is going up in 2021 from $13.20 to $17.20 per month. I'm switching to Aetna Silver Script SmartRx for $7.20 per month. Currently take zero prescriptions so this plan will work for me.

Same here.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:01 AM   #146
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Looks like the missing information on the Medicare.gov "Plan Finder" site has been corrected. I went in this morning and chose a new Plan D provider for DW and for me. I went with different insurers as she takes daily prescription meds and I don't, so I simply chose the plan with the cheapest monthly premium. Took about 30 minutes to do both, and almost half of that time was inputting her prescriptions and verifying her drug costs.

This is the first time since we went on Medicare that we've had separate Part D providers but I couldn't see paying an additional $125 a year in premiums simply for consistency.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:10 AM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DektolMan View Post
Like many others here my Humana Walmart Value RX Part D premium is going up in 2021 from $13.20 to $17.20 per month. I'm switching to Aetna Silver Script SmartRx for $7.20 per month. Currently take zero prescriptions so this plan will work for me.

It does seem like for folks not taking any prescription meds, and not planning to in 2021, going with the lowest premium is the smart choice. In my case, since I take several meds (one very expensive), it turns out that the lowest premium plan is not the lowest overall annual cost for me.

It looks like I'll be switching away from Humana Walmart Value Rx plan to something else. Several offer a lower projected total annual cost for me for 2021 but not because the premiums are lower, rather because the copay for my expensive drug is lower.

It is a headache figuring out which plan works best each year and then getting your prescriptions transferred, etc.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:28 PM   #148

Just a reminder that in addition to mo. premium and cost of drugs, another useful thing to look for is to be sure that you can live w/ any restrictions that may exist. This is found in the detail for each plan near the bottom. My current plan Humana Walmart Value plan in addition to being more expensive for premium and drugs next yr, also has quantity restrictions on several drugs (that I can live with) but a required pre-approval on 1 drug that I don't want to deal with.

The new plan I am looking at will be cheaper and not have those restrictions.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:10 AM   #149
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for the reminder kaneohe. I re-checked the plan I chose for my wife, and while it doesn't require prior authorization for any of her prescriptions, it does have quantity limits on a couple (60 vs. 90 and 30 vs. 60). In cases like that, does the pharmacy charge you full retail for the excess amount, or can you not get the extra (required but not covered) quantity?
Old 11-12-2020, 08:20 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenglish View Post
Thanks for the reminder kaneohe. I re-checked the plan I chose for my wife, and while it doesn't require prior authorization for any of her prescriptions, it does have quantity limits on a couple (60 vs. 90 and 30 vs. 60). In cases like that, does the pharmacy charge you full retail for the excess amount, or can you not get the extra (required but not covered) quantity?
You can always get the additional quantity if your doctor prescribes that quantity (using insurance is not mandatory). But it would be up to you to pay for the additional quantity. If the situation applies to you, I would ask you Dr. or Pharmacist to split it into 2 prescriptions (not sure who would have to do it) and attempt to use something like GoodRx for better pricing on the part your insurance will not cover. Depending on the drug, you may also get discounted pricing directly from the manufacturer. Don't just pay for it without looking into your options. Also, retail prices vary from pharmacy to pharmacy. Call around for best pricing.
PaunchyPirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:40 AM   #151
Dryer sheet aficionado

Good to know, thanks PaunchyPirate
Old 11-12-2020, 08:53 AM   #152

I will 2nd the use of GoodRX. In some cases they are cheaper than my "plan" pricing.

And don't be afraid to have the prescription transferred to a different pharmacy if you find the GoodRX price is better over there. In one case, the prescription at one pharmacy is 1/2 the price of the other pharmacy, both with GoodRX pricing.
CRLLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSC View Post
Aetna's SilverScript will have a new plan for 2021 called SmartRx. The premium is $7.50 in most states and it's available in all 50 states. $0 deductible for Tier 1, $445 deductible for tiers 2-5. Page 2 of the PDF below lists the actual premium in each state and the preferred pharmacies.

SmartRx: https://nebula.wsimg.com/ae8bb99a2cf...&alloworigin=1

I've been comparing some Part D plans over the past few days. According to the MyMedicare.gov site, for Washington state, King County, there are three Aetna plans, including this SilverScript Smart Rx (#205). The site says the premium is zero for all three Aetna plans--including the two others #060 & 061. I'm assuming that's because I clicked the box that says that I do not currently take any meds. However, the 2021 "Medicare & You" booklet I received says the monthly premiums for those three plans are: $31.30, $75 and $6.30, not zero for any of the three.

Can someone shed some light on this for me? If I change the plan online to #060, will my premium be zero or $31.30? Or should I play it safe and change my current AARP Plan #374 to the Aetna Plan #205 ($6.30/month)?
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:35 PM   #154
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
I've been comparing some Part D plans over the past few days. According to the MyMedicare.gov site, for Washington state, King County, there are three Aetna plans, including this SilverScript Smart Rx (#205). The site says the premium is zero for all three Aetna plans--including the two others #060 & 061. I'm assuming that's because I clicked the box that says that I do not currently take any meds. However, the 2021 "Medicare & You" booklet I received says the monthly premiums for those three plans are: $31.30, $75 and $6.30, not zero for any of the three.

Can someone shed some light on this for me? If I change the plan online to #060, will my premium be zero or $31.30? Or should I play it safe and change my current AARP Plan #374 to the Aetna Plan #205 ($6.30/month)?
We also live in King Co. We both will be on Aetna #205 for $6.30/month in addition to the $70 IRMAA for plan D. What ever you are looking at is wrong, none of those plans are $0.

These coverages are all a scam. My wife is going onto a Medicare Advantage HMO for one month in Dec then switching to Plan G with State Farm. The "insurance" cost for her pantoprazole is over $500/mo using the HMO drug card or her current BCBS cobra. Good RX is $12 for 3 months not over $1500. I wonder if the insurance company gets a kick back if they are able to charge $1500 at the Pharmacy using the insurance, when you can walk in without any coverage and buy it so cheap. This is the one area where government should step in and create a fair view of what is really going on. I can see a lot of folks might not check and be paying huge $$$$ for drugs that are cheaper without insurance.
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:32 AM   #155
Give me a forum ...

I've been using an in person to broker to handle my Medicare stuff. As of today with the outbreak numbers in my county, it's obvious I won't be seeing him in person this year.

I can switch online to Aetna/SS and save a few bucks. Am I too close to the end of signup to pull the trigger on a new plan? Don't want any hiccups...
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:41 AM   #156
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I've been using an in person to broker to handle my Medicare stuff. As of today with the outbreak numbers in my county, it's obvious I won't be seeing him in person this year.

I can switch online to Aetna/SS and save a few bucks. Am I too close to the end of signup to pull the trigger on a new plan? Don't want any hiccups...
As long as you do it before 12/7 you should be good. We went with this plan and are using GoodRx coupons anyway for most meds.
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:06 PM   #157

For those of you who enrolled in Aetna SilverScript SmartRX, have any of you gotten a bill for January 2021 yet?

Everything went smoothly with enrolling and we've both received our member cards and I registered with Caremark.

I didn't ask for the payment to be taken out of my SS and DH doesn't get SS so we want to set up monthly auto payments.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:31 PM   #158
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
For those of you who enrolled in Aetna SilverScript SmartRX, have any of you gotten a bill for January 2021 yet?

Everything went smoothly with enrolling and we've both received our member cards and I registered with Caremark.

I didn't ask for the payment to be taken out of my SS and DH doesn't get SS so we want to set up monthly auto payments.

I also signed up for the Aetna SilverScript plan. I do not yet draw social security. The back page of the sheet on which your membership card is attached says they will Bill you for your monthly premiums. I have not received a Bill yet either.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 01:52 PM   #159
Dryer sheet aficionado

I signed up for Aetna SilverScript plan and I got a letter today from SS saying they will take it from my SS payment which is what I asked for.
JARON46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 03:55 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
I also signed up for the Aetna SilverScript plan. I do not yet draw social security. The back page of the sheet on which your membership card is attached says they will Bill you for your monthly premiums. I have not received a Bill yet either.
How long from when you signed up until you received your membership card?
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote