Medicare Part D 2021 price increases

harllee

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just got an email that my Humana Walmart Value RX Part D premium is going up in 2021 from $13.20 to $17.20 per month. The Part D change period is 10/15-12/7 so I will be looking for a new policy. I fortunately take no prescription drugs so I usually get the least expensive policy. Anyone else heard from their Part D about price increases?

United Healthcare (AARP MedicareRx Saver Plus (PDP): $31 to $32.20 (deductible: $435 to $445).

Same boat: I take no medications. Also looking for best deal (cheapest?) in the Seattle area.

My Florida UHC premium stayed the same but the deductible went up from 450 to 500.

just got my notice. the renewal premium for the wellcare wellness rx (pdp) went from $13.30 to $14.70. Deductible for tiers 3 to 5 from $435 to $445.

I do not take meds.

Similar to golfnut, our Wellcare Value Script (PDP) premiums will increase from $14.70 to $15.30 and the tier 3 to 5 deductible increases from $435 to $445. DW is on three meds and we currently pay a total of $30 per quarter for them. I'll check online in a few weeks to see if prices for them have changed before I make a decision to stay with Wellcare or find another Part D insurer.

Just got an email that my Humana Walmart Value RX Part D premium is going up in 2021 from $13.20 to $17.20 per month. The Part D change period is 10/15-12/7 so I will be looking for a new policy. I fortunately take no prescription drugs so I usually get the least expensive policy. Anyone else heard from their Part D about price increases?

Wow, that’s a big step! If we see an increase like that, we’ll call Boomer Benefits.

Wow, that’s a big step! If we see an increase like that, we’ll call Boomer Benefits.

Yes I thought it was pretty large increase and the deductible went up $10 too. Of course my premium at $13.20 is lower than most. I will just use the Medicare online portal to see if there is a cheaper plan on October 15. It is very easy to use since I take no prescriptions. I change my plan every year to get the cheapest one.

just got my notice. the renewal premium for the wellcare wellness rx (pdp) went from $13.30 to $14.70. Deductible for tiers 3 to 5 from $435 to $445.

I do not take meds.
Same exact plan. Going from $13.30 to $17.90, a ~35% increase. Not on any meds. The area I live in is not low-cost medical. I'll look around during open enrollment. I really don't want to go fussing with yet another thing before the year-end. Possible I might just pay it, for 2021 only. I suspect that some of the companies/plans play a bait-catch-and-raise deal. Get them to sign up, and after a year or so, start bumping the $ up more than needed to improve profits even more. Many users won't change, they'll just pay the bill and go on with their lives. But some will go somewhere else, so have a new low-cost plan to hook them again. And repeat. So it's possible I might wait till next fall to change hooks.

I do not take meds.

I have the same plan. Cost went from$13.70 to $15.20. Same deductible increase.

I do take 2 meds. They are tier 1 and no cost sharing thru mail order pharmacy. For a buck and and half more a month I won't spend any time looking for a cheaper plan, if one even exists.

Yes I thought it was pretty large increase and the deductible went up $10 too. Of course my premium at $13.20 is lower than most. I will just use the Medicare online portal to see if there is a cheaper plan on October 15. It is very easy to use since I take no prescriptions. I change my plan every year to get the cheapest one.

DH has that plan, so we’ll look. He hasn’t gotten an email yet.

I believe last year Humana pulled a bait and switch, raising prices on the existing Walmart plan, but introducing a “new” cheap Walmart plan.

No emails yet with price information, but I only take one med (tamsulosin) that costs about $6 for 90 days worth. My current plan costs me $13.20/month (Wellcare).

My WellCare Medicare Rx Select went from $13.10 to $17.60. Deductible on tier 3 and up went from $435 to $445. Heck I changed my auto insurance for less than a $54 for 6 month difference. Only 1 tier 1 drug for me today.

I think that Boomer only does Part D if you also have them do your Part B.

My WellCare Medicare Rx Select went from $13.10 to $17.60. Deductible on tier 3 and up went from $435 to $445. Heck I changed my auto insurance for less than a $54 for 6 month difference. Only 1 tier 1 drug for me today.

Same plan, same increases for me. I have three tier one drugs and pay nothing for each.

I fortunately take no prescription drugs so I usually get the least expensive policy.
Aetna's SilverScript will have a new plan for 2021 called SmartRx. The premium is $7.50 in most states and it's available in all 50 states. $0 deductible for Tier 1, $445 deductible for tiers 2-5. Page 2 of the PDF below lists the actual premium in each state and the preferred pharmacies.

SmartRx: https://nebula.wsimg.com/ae8bb99a2c...1737DEA001C86DFFB&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Aetna's SilverScript will have a new plan for 2021 called SmartRx. The premium is $7.50 in most states and it's available in all 50 states. $0 deductible for Tier 1, $445 deductible for tiers 2-5. Page 2 of the PDF below lists the actual premium in each state and the preferred pharmacies.

SmartRx: https://nebula.wsimg.com/ae8bb99a2c...1737DEA001C86DFFB&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Thanks, MBSC--I will check that plan out. $7.50 would be a good deal for a Plan D policy, that would be the least amount by far I have seen.

AARP UHC Walgreens. Currently $34.10. Will be $31.90. But I may change. Right now I take one prescription not subject to deductible. Due to side effects I may be changing to another generic but with a co-payment. It may make sense to switch to a different AARP Part D plan or one with another company. I need to find out first though I am going to switching to the new med or not.

DH takes no meds and has the same plan. Seemed like a significant percentage increase. Will look for something cheaper. I see the plan for $7.50. Is it saying it covers only 98 different drugs?

Last edited:
Okay, I sincerely mean no offense. And as my (w*rker) medical insurance does not have a drug plan I have not thought about this. But why change plans over $48 a year? Is there really no advantage to staying where you are? (Keep in mind I do not know how much hassle it is to switch but more than 5 minutes might be too much for me). Someday I will need to know provided I live long enough so might as well find out now.

Okay, I sincerely mean no offense. And as my (w*rker) medical insurance does not have a drug plan I have not thought about this. But why change plans over $48 a year? Is there really no advantage to staying where you are? (Keep in mind I do not know how much hassle it is to switch but more than 5 minutes might be too much for me). Someday I will need to know provided I live long enough so might as well find out now.

No offense taken--But why pay $48 more if you can get the exact same thing or better cheaper? Don't you comparison shop when you go to the grocery? Being retired I have plenty of time to do the comparison shop on the Medicare site--it will only take a few minutes. Besides, everyone on Part D should look at the Medicare site every open season because all plans make changes every year and the plan you are on may not work for you anymore.

This is the way I was able to retire at age 50--look after the pennies and the dollars take care of themselves.

Many of us don’t like the bait and switch game some of these part D insurers like to play, so we don’t reward them by ignoring sudden large price increases.

Back
Top Bottom