Join Early Retirement Today

Medicare Part D again
Old 11-03-2019, 12:29 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Medicare Part D again

Questions, possibly stupid: I am researching part D, having decided to apply for Parts A and B, and a state retiree supplement. (Supplement from another state than current residence, and supplement does not cover "over Medicare payment charges." Those are illegal in this state, so I think I am good there.) It does not include prescriptions, so I need part D. Currently taking two drugs, a tier 2 and 3. Not so worried about them, but some of the part D plans say chemo is not covered. Yet that seems to be part of the 6 protected classes of drugs. I don't need it now, but having had many cancers due to a genetic mutation, cannot assume I have seen the end of that. So what is true--can they or not, exclude chemo drugs? I was already perplexed enough with trying to figure out where I hid my crystal ball to let me know that drugs I will need in the future, but this is worse! Thanks.
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2019, 12:40 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since you can change Part D plans every year and you don't currently take any chemo drugs it is somewhat of a non-starter issue in my book and you should base your decision on your current drug regimen.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Most chemo would be covered under Parts A and B not D. There might be some oral agents under D though so read carefully.
Sarah S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:53 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalou View Post
Questions, possibly stupid: I am researching part D, having decided to apply for Parts A and B, and a state retiree supplement. (Supplement from another state than current residence, and supplement does not cover "over Medicare payment charges." Those are illegal in this state, so I think I am good there.) It does not include prescriptions, so I need part D. Currently taking two drugs, a tier 2 and 3. Not so worried about them, but some of the part D plans say chemo is not covered. Yet that seems to be part of the 6 protected classes of drugs. I don't need it now, but having had many cancers due to a genetic mutation, cannot assume I have seen the end of that. So what is true--can they or not, exclude chemo drugs? I was already perplexed enough with trying to figure out where I hid my crystal ball to let me know that drugs I will need in the future, but this is worse! Thanks.
Chemo is usually covered by part B because it is administered in a doctor’s office.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:47 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks!
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:03 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My wife is a rather high maintenance person--when it comes to medicines. And she has a $1200 per month Tier III medicine that we end up paying about $265 for.

We went with a more expensive Part D option as she'll end up going into the donut hole pretty quick with her meds. Thankfully, most are generic, but one of the expensive ones will tear up one's pocketbook easily.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:29 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Medicare Publication on Coverage of Cancer Treatment: https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11...t-Services.pdf

Quote:
Part A covers: Inpatient hospital stays, including cancer treatments you get while you’re an inpatient in the hospital.

Part B covers:
• Many chemotherapy drugs that are administered through your vein in an outpatient clinic or a doctor’s office.
• Some oral chemotherapy treatments.
• Radiation treatments given in an outpatient clinic

These cancer drugs may be covered under Part D:
• Prescription drugs for chemotherapy only available to be taken by mouth
• Anti-nausea drugs
• Other prescription drugs used in the course of your cancer treatment, like pain medication
If an oral anti-cancer drug was previously only available in injectable form, the oral version is also Part B.
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote