Medicare Part D changes for 2023

Sue J

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For 2022 I have Aetna SilverScript SmartRx. Many other members have this one because it the one that's only $7 to $8 a month.

I just got the renewal information for 2023. The name is changing to SilverScript SmartSaver and the price is going from $7.10 to $5.10. Nice!

The 2022 deductible is $480 and for 2023 it going up to $505.

The Tier 1 copay in 2022 is $1.00 for 30 day (Preferred Generic) and that is doubling to $2.00 for 30 day (Preferred Generic).

We use our Part D plans for Tier 1 only and anything above that we check GoodRx, RxSaver, etc for savings. We will probably stay with this Part D but will check around as info becomes available.

Have you gotten your renewal info? What changes are you seeing?

OMG, is it that time of year again already. :facepalm:

That's the same plan as I have. At the start of this year, I was on three Tier 1 drugs but that was reduced to two in the spring. I'd be surprised if I can find a better/cheaper plan for 2023 but I'll certainly take a look.

Hey, hey, sounds great! DH dropped to $6.90 this year, so we can only hope!

We haven’t gotten any renewal info yet.

I haven't gotten any renewal info yet. I am on a Wellcare plan which is reimbursed by DH's Megacorp so doesn't cost me anything. I think for this year it is $27.10. I will need to wait to see how much the reimbursement for next year will be (I use it for Part B premiums and then the rest of it on Part D) and will pick a Part D accordingly.

I signed up DW in the spring, so never did a re-up. Good news on the price. I wonder if they're making money on some drugs that, through the plan, are more expensive than GoodRx or other such plans, so can offer the coverage for cheap.

Because my past employer gives me 195/month towards premiums I have to wait until 10/18 to see what’s offered thru via benefits.

Got my Wellcare Value Script PDP 2023 update in the mail today. Premium goes down from 2022's $12.90 to $11.10 in 2023. Deductible for 2023 increases from the 2022's $480 to $505, but I think that is a Medicare requirement.
The only real changes I saw from 2022 to 2023 were:

Tier 2 - Generic Drugs, Preferred cost sharing: copay went from $4 to $5 per prescription.
Tier 3 Preferred Brand Drugs, Preferred cost sharing: copay went from $42 to $44 per prescription.
There is now a Tier 6 - Select Diabetic Drugs with a $11 per prescription copay, whether standard or preferred cost sharing is used.
Also for 2023, the total drug costs to enter the Coverage Gap Stage increases from $4,430 to $4,660 for 2023. I think that's a Medicare requirement also.

I am a low user of drugs. No ongoing prescriptions. My out-of-pocket drug cost so far for 2022 has been $.66.

One thing about Wellcare bugs me around the run-up to the big Fall Part D Festival... the info I got today mentions changes in the Pharmacy Network for 2023. They say the 2023 Pharmacy Directory is on the website, and please review it. But it isn't there. They seem to enter Pharmacy info at the last minute, after October 15th is already rolling. And then I can finally figure it out by putting in a straw dog drug, and guess at pharmacies to look at costs for the straw dog in each, on the Medicare website.

I think if everyone on the Aetna plan used GoodRx for all drugs above tier 1, the cost would go up substantially. So shhh:)

Because my past employer gives me 195/month towards premiums I have to wait until 10/18 to see what’s offered thru via benefits.

Same here. I did just get the new Silver Scripts deal and although the premium dropped it looks like other costs have gone up. My eyes glazed over when I started to read the details. We'll wait until next month and give ViaBenefits a call to evaluate. I never even knew my previous employer offered this until I ER'd. There were a number of top secret perks that I wish I knew about before I pulled the plug. DW also got a subsidy from my prior employer when she went on Medicare. Evidently they don't promote the benefit because it probably was eliminated years ago.

DH got his Aetna info. Only dropped $0.30. Down to $6.60.

Last edited:
My Aetna Silverscript plan went up $4.50. Nothing much else changed. The website said they’ll post the updated medication formulary on Oct 1.

I spent $14.00 OOP for my Part D med this year (I only need one) and $240.00 for the premiums!

Hoping for no big changes for me.:rolleyes:

DW, that's another story $$$$.

We got our Part D info yesterday. We use Aetna SilverScript.

Our premiums will drop from $7.50 to $4.50/month.

We also use Aetna SilverScript.

Our premiums will drop from $6.60 to $4.50/month.

I think if everyone on the Aetna plan used GoodRx for all drugs above tier 1, the cost would go up substantially. So shhh:)

Isn’t that ironic. I find most drugs to be cheaper on my GoodRx gold card than my employer plan deductible 😇

This too is interesting. I copied the contents of an email from the Minnesota Senior Linkage, though this email is not on their site https://mn.gov/board-on-aging/

September 2022

Minnesota
Medicare Update

Medicare can be complicated.
The Senior LinkAge Line can help.
This month's email contains a summary of upcoming changes to Medicare by year, the first of which will take effect January 1, 2023. These changes are part of the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022, which was signed into law in August. Perhaps most notably, this new law will allow Medicare to negotiate for prescription drug prices for the first time.

January 2023
• Reduced cost of insulin to $35/month; deductibles do not apply. An estimated 3.3 million Medicare beneficiaries use some forms of insulin.
• Additional Part D coverage for vaccines, including the shingles vaccine, with no beneficiary cost sharing.
• Drug manufacturers will have to send rebates to Medicare, if their prices for prescription drugs covered by Medicare go up faster than the rate of inflation. It penalizes drug companies that increase prices for Medicare-covered prescription drugs in excess of the rate of inflation. According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, from 2019 to 2020, the prices of half of all drugs covered by Medicare increased above the rate of inflation during that period.

Beginning January 2024
• National Prescription Drug Base Premium will not increase more than 6% from previous year.
• People with incomes up to 150% of the federal poverty guideline will be eligible for the full Low-Income Subsidy (LIS), also known as Extra Help. Extra Help helps to pay for Medicare Part D costs for those that are eligible. Those with partial LIS will be transitioned to the full subsidy in 2024.
• Beneficiaries won’t pay anything out-of-pocket in the catastrophic phase of Medicare Part D coverage. Previously, beneficiaries paid a 5% coinsurance during this phase, with a minimum of $3.95 for generic drugs or $9.85 for brand-name drugs in 2022.

Beginning January 2025
• Out-of-pocket spending for Medicare Part D prescription drugs will be capped at $2,000 annually. That cap will increase in subsequent years based on Medicare’s annual spending for covered drugs. Once a Medicare beneficiary’s annual out-of-pocket expenses for covered drugs reach $2,000, co-insurance costs will be eliminated, as Medicare Part D will pay 20% of the cost of brand-name drugs and 40% of generics. Insurers and drug manufacturers must cover remaining costs.

Beginning January 2026
• Medicare will begin to negotiate prices for qualifying prescription drugs, on which it has spent the most money. This provision applies only to prescription drugs that have been on the market for several years without competition.
• Medicare prescription drug plans must include drugs for which Medicare negotiates prices on their formularies. This includes Medicare Advantage Plans.

Medicare.gov Plan Finder
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has made major changes to its Medicare Plan Finder tool, making it easier to use. It features:
• a redesigned network pharmacy finder page
• the ability to target searches for preferred network pharmacies
• greater ease of finding drug costs
• resolution of pricing discrepancies for those with Extra Help
• the ability to save plans as a PDF
• the option to reduce print size below 75% scale to reduce the number of pages
• greater ease for people with accounts to locate their enrollment confirmation number in the message center
• enhanced ability for users to compare current plan details with other plan options

Minnesota Medicare question of the month

Q. What is MOOP?

A. If you are enrolled in a Medicare Advantage Plan, there is an annual maximum out-of-pocket coverage (MOOP) that applies. MOOP is the annual amount a person on Medicare has to pay for Medicare services in a year. After reaching the MOOP, the beneficiary will not owe any more cost-sharing for Part A or Part B-covered services for the rest of the year. The MOOP in 2022 is $7,550. MOOP costs include Medicare Part A and Part B cost sharing amounts, such as deductibles, copayments and coinsurance that you receive for in-network services. Medicare Part D costs are not included in the MOOP.

Coming soon - Medicare Open Enrollment
In just a few weeks, Medicare Open Enrollment will begin. It happens every year between October 15 and December 7, and it is the time you can make changes to your Medicare coverage.

During this time, it really is important to review your current coverage and compare it with other plans to ensure you have the coverage that is best for you. It can make the difference between living within your budget and having to face large out-of-pocket expenses.

For help with any Medicare issues,
call the Senior LinkAge Line at 800-333-2433.

The Senior LinkAge Line® is the federally designated
State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) for Minnesota. If you have Questions about Medicare, call the Senior LinkAge Line at 800-333-2433
from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday.

See what's happening on our social media sites

My Aetna went from $6.90 to $4.90. Good news.

Husbands AARP went from $27.40 to $26.20. More good news.

Not earth-shattering, but it's in the right direction.

Do you all take many drugs? Is there a deductible in this plan?

I am starting to look at plans and want to choose what will cost me the least.

As I recall, the Medicare website has a good way to compare plans when you input your actual meds. DW and I have different plans, because the meds we take are treated differently. I also use the VIA Benefits site (getting subsidized by former employer this way). They some times differ a little from the Medicare site, but still recommended the same plans.

I don't know if the Medicare site is operational yet. I think I had to wait until the open enrollment period last year for it to be active.

As for "many drugs", DW and I each have 2 "maintenance drugs".

The best way to compare is on the Medicare website where you can see the plans available in your area and compare the costs including drugs you take. Yes, there is a deductible but most plans have various "tiers" of drugs and often the first tier will be quite inexpensive (generic) even if you haven't met the deductible. For example,I take atorvastatin and metoprolol and each costs me only $1 for a month's supply at my plan's preferred pharmacy. And I'm on the cheapest plan whose premium is a measly $7 and change a month. I have never met the $480 deductible.

I don’t take any prescription drugs, but my husband takes 11-12, and we are both on Aetna SilverScript, dropping from $7.50 to $4.50 in 2023.

WOW.... was just looking at medicare website and the cost of drugs on different plans are WAY different...

One plan has a generic drug I take for diabetes at $12 per month...

The Wellcare plan has it at $254!!! Silverscript is $241...

CRAZY... it is a generic drug...

Back
Top Bottom