Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Medicare Premium for married couple
Old 11-18-2019, 09:49 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Medicare Premium for married couple

This seems like a really dumb question, but when I googled it, I got more cornfused.

When my wife and I are both 65 and on Medicare, do we pay $144.60 a month premium or $144.60 x 2 each month for premium?

I think the answer is we each have our own premium, so I should budget $289.20 / month.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2019, 09:55 AM   #2
Administrator

The thread was moved to the Health forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
This seems like a really dumb question, but when I googled it, I got more cornfused.

When my wife and I are both 65 and on Medicare, do we pay $144.60 a month premium or $144.60 x 2 each month for premium?

I think the answer is we each have our own premium, so I should budget $289.20 / month.
That price is per person, so budget the $289.2. Don’t forget Plan D and MediGap supplemental.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:56 AM   #3

Yes, each person has their own premium to pay, since they each have their own Medicare number (formerly SSAN).
Old 11-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The thread was moved to the Health forum.

That price is per person, so budget the $289.2. Don’t forget Plan D and MediGap supplemental.
Coolio! We will have Tricare for life which I think is a Medicare supplemental of some sort. Will have to research that.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Coolio! We will have Tricare for life which I think is a Medicare supplemental of some sort. Will have to research that.
Yes, TFL will pay whatever Medicare doesn't pay. Just be sure all your providers know that you have both.

Medicare should automatically forward any charges (after they pay their share) to your TFL administrator, and this is nearly always flawless in my experience. So you will get two EOBs, one from Medicare and one from TFL.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:55 AM   #6

My wife has Medicare and Tricare. It is great. She does get some flak as some offices don’t like to deal with this combo.

Both of your Medicare bills will be deducted from each of your monthly SS checks
Old 11-18-2019, 02:37 PM   #7

Don't forget IRMAA if applicable. Our medicare premium keeps going up due to IRMAA but then there are other more worthy things to complain about .
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:34 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
Don't forget IRMAA if applicable. Our medicare premium keeps going up due to IRMAA but then there are other more worthy things to complain about .
That must be because it's more expensive to treat more wealthy people
Old 11-18-2019, 06:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
That must be because it's more expensive to treat more wealthy people
That must be it!
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote