Medicare Purchase

PERSonalTime

Recycles dryer sheets
Is there anyone here that didn't qualify for Medicare? If so, why didn't you qualify for coverage? Did you end up purchasing individual coverage directly? How did that work?

According to the AARP:

...if you’re 65 or older, you can buy into Medicare by paying monthly premiums for Part A hospital insurance. You can also join Part B and pay the same premiums as other people. In both cases, you must be a U.S. citizen or a legal resident (green card holder) who has lived in the United States continuously for at least five years.

The amount you pay for the Part A premium in 2014 is $234 a month (if you have 30 to 39 work credits) or $426 a month (if you have fewer than 30 work credits).
Medicare Options for People With Less Work Experience - AARP

Thanks for the reply and information! But do you know anyone that's actually experienced this situation?

MichaelB, for some reason, the link didn't work... Posted the link directly into the web browser and it worked. Great information. Tks!

Last edited:
What happens if the spouse that full qualified for Medicare passes away before actually signing up for it at age 65? Is his spouse, who never contributed into the Medicare program still eligible to sign up because she was married to someone that was eligible?

What happens if the spouse that full qualified for Medicare passes away before actually signing up for it at age 65? Is his spouse, who never contributed into the Medicare program still eligible to sign up because she was married to someone that was eligible?
One spouse is automatically eligible for SS and Medicare once the other qualifies, and it is not lost if the qualifying spouse passes away.

One spouse is automatically eligible for SS and Medicare once the other qualifies, and it is not lost if the qualifying spouse passes away.

Is that true in all cases? I'm 61 and retired, DH is 75. He's got Medicare and appropriate supplements; I purchased a private policy with a $6K annual deductible. Our insurance agents never mentioned the possibility that I might be eligible for Medicare just because DH is.

Is that true in all cases? I'm 61 and retired, DH is 75. He's got Medicare and appropriate supplements; I purchased a private policy with a $6K annual deductible. Our insurance agents never mentioned the possibility that I might be eligible for Medicare just because DH is.
I'm sure MichaelB meant eligible for Medicare when you reach 65.

Just an FYI based on my situation. If your spouse is over 65 and not Medicare eligible due to insufficient work history AND you are Medicare eligible but not 62 yet, then spouse must BUY Medicare.

We are currently buying COBRA Insurance

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Just an FYI based on my situation. If your spouse is over 65 and not Medicare eligible due to insufficient work history AND you are Medicare eligible but not 62 yet, then spouse must BUY Medicare.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

So, would the 65 year old be eligible for Medicare once the 62 year old turned 65 and signed up for Medicare? What if the 62 year old passed away before age 65?

An important reminder, thanks. https://www.mymedicarematters.org/a...ur-situation/coverage-for-nonworking-spouses/
If you have worked for at least 10 years and paid Medicare (FICA) taxes, AND you are at least age 62, your spouse can get Medicare Parts A and B when he turns 65. If you have worked at least 10 years but are not yet age 62 when he turns age 65, he will not be eligible for premium-free Part A until you are age 62. He should still enroll in Medicare Parts B and D, however, in order to avoid a penalty later on.

So, would the 65 year old be eligible for Medicare once the 62 year old turned 65 and signed up for Medicare? What if the 62 year old passed away before age 65?

Once the younger eligible spouse turns 62, the older spouse becomes eligible for subsidized Medicare. Prior to this time, the older spouse can PURCHASE Medicare if they are over 65.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

From here Medicare Interactive - Under what conditions would my spouse's work history qualify me for premium-free Part A?

If you did not work enough in your lifetime to get Social Security benefits, but your spouse did, you may be eligible for free Medicare Part A based on your spouse's work history when you turn 65.

When you turn 65, you may be eligible for free Medicare Part A based on your spouse's work history if:

• You are widowed and you were married for at least nine months before your spouse died. In addition, you must be single.

...if you’re 65 or older, you can buy into Medicare by paying monthly premiums for Part A hospital insurance. You can also join Part B and pay the same premiums as other people. In both cases, you must be a U.S. citizen or a legal resident (green card holder) who has lived in the United States continuously for at least five years.

The amount you pay for the Part A premium in 2014 is $234 a month (if you have 30 to 39 work credits) or $426 a month (if you have fewer than 30 work credits).

Hmmm. I just looked up what my employer and I paid into Medicare over my career, accumulated it at 6%, and came up with over a quarter of a million dollars. Can I have that money back and pay $426/month instead?:mad:

Back
Top Bottom