Medicare Supplements/Advantage Policies for Someone who Hasn't Had One for Years

Another Reader

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a friend in her mid-70's who for financial reasons has not had a Medicare supplement for a number of years. She could not and cannot afford it. She has medical issues now, and cannot afford the copays. She has Social Security and a small part time job that between them pay the mortgage and food and gas. What are her options?

California, Bay Area location.

I have a friend in her mid-70's who for financial reasons has not had a Medicare supplement for a number of years. She could not and cannot afford it. She has medical issues now, and cannot afford the copays. She has Social Security and a small part time job that between them pay the mortgage and food and gas. What are her options?

California, Bay Area location.

Is she on Medicare Parts A, B, and D? And, no other eligibility to FEHB, other insurances, etc?

The first thing I personally would check if I was in that situation is check to see if the income is low enough to get a Part D subsidy, and also if the income is low enough to qualify for MediCal, in which case I believe the Part B would be zero premium too.

If this were not so, and I could not afford Medigap or did not want it, there are many zero premium Medicare Advantage plans available with very reasonable out of pocket maximums and copays, etc. California probably has many such plans.

A local agency that helps with insurance could be helpful too.

Is she on Medicare Parts A, B, and D? And, no other eligibility to FEHB, other insurances, etc?

The first thing I personally would check if I was in that situation is check to see if the income is low enough to get a Part D subsidy, and also if the income is low enough to qualify for MediCal, in which case I believe the Part B would be zero premium too.

If this were not so, and I could not afford Medigap or did not want it, there are many zero premium Medicare Advantage plans available with very reasonable out of pocket maximums and copays, etc. California probably has many such plans.

A local agency that helps with insurance could be helpful too.

At this point she has no supplement or drug plan. My understanding is there are substantial penalties required to get back on these plans or onto an Advantage plan. She would not qualify for Medi-Cal because of Social Security and the part time job.

Has she applied for Medi-Cal?
If not that would be her first step. What county does she live in?
She can apply online, over the phone, or in her local county social services office.
If she isn’t eligible for Medi-Cal she may be eligible for different programs.

That’s what I would suggest to anyone in her position. I worked 35 years in social services. People often exclude themselves thinking that they aren’t eligible but Medi-Cal is a very complex program.
Or- there could be other programs available.

Here is a link to another resource:

https://aging.ca.gov/Find_Services_In_My_County/

At this point she has no supplement or drug plan. My understanding is there are substantial penalties required to get back on these plans or onto an Advantage plan. She would not qualify for Medi-Cal because of Social Security and the part time job.

I don't think there is a penalty to get back on a Medigap plan, but she might have to undergo approval at that age. However, California has some special rules for Medigap plans so I think it is worth doublechecking.

Also, I have never heard of any late penalty for getting on a Medicare Advantage Plan, and again, many have zero premiums. I personally would never go with just Parts A and B, especially when there are so many helpful plans available. One important thing is to choose one which includes the location and providers of her preference.

As far as the Part D for Rx, I personally think the late enrollment penalty would be worth it for someone in their mid-70s and there is an explanation at Medicare.gov, and I personally think well worth it to pay some extra dollars to have it rather than need even one med which could be very costly out of pocket. Also, recent law changes have made Part D even better now and in the coming years. In 2025 the max out of pocket copays will be limited to $2000 per year with the option to break it up into monthly payments, from what I read.

Don't forget, one can also get many meds very cheaply through various discount programs like GoodRx, etc., but again, I think Part D is important, well worth it, and many people at least sign up for a cheap plan to at least have something to fall back on, and even with the penalty added on, could very well be worth it.

One can go to Medicare.gov and it has drop downs to look at various Part D and Medicare Advantage plans in her area. Very helpful.

Again, I would look into the "Extra Help" subsidy for Part D--if approved, copays can be lower and there is no late enrollment penalty.

Last edited:
The QI program will pay for Part B premiums. Income under $19,683, property under $130,000.

Also, I have never heard of any late penalty for getting on a Medicare Advantage Plan, and again, many have zero premiums. I personally would never go with just Parts A and B, especially when there are so many helpful plans available. One important thing is to choose one which includes the location and providers of her preference.
The Medicare Advantage late enrollment penalty (LEP) is actually the Part D LEP when a person chooses a MAPD (MA with Prescription Drug coverage). In the 'something is better than nothing' category, there are MA-only plans that do not include drug coverage so there would not be a LEP. Many of these plans rebate a portion of the Part B premium back to the member which can then be applied toward drug expenses.

California HICAP (Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program) provides unbiased information on these plans and other options.

https://aging.ca.gov/Programs_and_Services/Medicare_Counseling/

I agree with applying for Medi-Cal. Even if she does not qualify, the process determines if she is eligible for other 'extra help' programs.
I don't think there is a penalty to get back on a Medigap plan, but she might have to undergo approval at that age. However, California has some special rules for Medigap plans so I think it is worth doublechecking.
The CA Medigap 'Birthday Rule' applies to those who already have a Medigap plan.

The Medicare Advantage late enrollment penalty (LEP) is actually the Part D LEP when a person chooses a MAPD (MA with Prescription Drug coverage). In the 'something is better than nothing' category, there are MA-only plans that do not include drug coverage so there would not be a LEP. Many of these plans rebate a portion of the Part B premium back to the member which can then be applied toward drug expenses.

California HICAP (Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program) provides unbiased information on these plans and other options.

https://aging.ca.gov/Programs_and_Services/Medicare_Counseling/

I agree with applying for Medi-Cal. Even if she does not qualify, the process determines if she is eligible for other 'extra help' programs.
The CA Medigap 'Birthday Rule' applies to those who already have a Medigap plan.

The HICAP counseling here was pretty weak when I signed up for Medicare. A nice retired lady told me how much she loved her Advantage plan and was not knowledgeable about Medigap supplement plans. My go to has always been AARP for supplement plans. Would they offer the Advantage plan you describe?

The HICAP counseling here was pretty weak when I signed up for Medicare. A nice retired lady told me how much she loved her Advantage plan and was not knowledgeable about Medigap supplement plans. My go to has always been AARP for supplement plans. Would they offer the Advantage plan you describe?

I would go to Medicare.gov and use the drop downs to check for Advantage Plans. It gives the plans in whatever zip one puts in, the names of the companies, the specifics of coverage, link to the plan, and cost. Extremely good info.

I did a quick calculation for the Part D late enrollment penalty. If I am correct, according to the formula given on the Medicare site for 2023, for a person age 75 who went 120 months from first eligibility at age 65 without creditable coverage, the penalty would be about $39 per month. Adding that to a low cost Part D plan of $4.50 would put having a solid Rx plan coverage premium at about $43.50 per month. Well worth it in my opinion. If anyone sees any different calculation, please correct. The longer the wait, the higher the penalty could be. And to repeat, I would check about the "Extra Help" subsidy which could eliminate the penalty. The subsidy isn't all or nothing--I think there are 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% levels of help.

No real knowledge on this but always an opinion...

I doubt she could get a medigap plan since she has medical issues...

I thought you could sign up for different Plan C each year, so I do not see why there would be any extra fee for doing so... IOW, you can have regular medicare and pay the 20% on your own, but you still have coverage.. why would that not count?

Regarding the "Extra Help" subsidy I previously mentioned: apparently if a person applies for this at a Social Security Office (for the subsidy), one does not have to wait for Open Season to be approved for Part D but rather this is considered a "Special Enrollment." That is what I read. Could be beneficial to do this rather than wait for Open Season. One might be surprised at how much income limit is allowed to be approved for the subsidy, even if working some.

Last edited:
Another Reader - your friend should call the California SHIP office and ask for assistance. A trained volunteer will perform a financial screen then layout her Medicare options in an unbiased manner. This could all happen within a week.

The phone number is 1-800-434-0222.
Website (same as above) https://www.aging.ca.gov/hicap/

If your friend is over 65, Medi-Cal may still extend coverage. If one one does not meet the income requirements, there is Medi-Cal with share of cost.

https://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/me...l.aspx#:~:text=You can also get Medi,Under 21

First step is to apply for health coverage thru coveredcalifornia.com.

If she's denied for 100% Medi-Cal thru Covered California , Covered California will send your friend's case file to the county. Then a county eligibility worker will do a determination phone interview for medi-cal with share of cost

Back
Top Bottom