Join Early Retirement Today

Medigap and part D plans
Old 10-17-2021, 05:40 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Medigap and part D plans

I will be starting Medicare in Dec 2021 and have started looking at plans. I will most likely going with AARP Medigap plan G, my husband has been with them for many years without issue.

Part D gets trickier for me. I'm on 14 maintenance medications. Most are the lowest dosage available. Sometimes I think that I have ended up on these meds due to side effects of another med, but regardless this is what I am living with right now. Per Medicare.gov the lowest cost choices for mail order are Humana Walmart and AARP preferred.

Is there any issue with mixing Medigap and Part D plans?
bluelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2021, 05:44 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelight View Post
I will be starting Medicare in Dec 2021 and have started looking at plans. I will most likely going with AARP Medigap plan G, my husband has been with them for many years without issue.

Part D gets trickier for me. I'm on 14 maintenance medications. Most are the lowest dosage available. Sometimes I think that I have ended up on these meds due to side effects of another med, but regardless this is what I am living with right now. Per Medicare.gov the lowest cost choices for mail order are Humana Walmart and AARP preferred.

No issue. They are separate.
RetiredHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelight View Post

No problem as Part D is a separate plan. I have been switching yearly based on lowest cost plan. I have been on Medicare 13 years now.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:56 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you. I assumed that was the case but didn't want to get into any unexpected issues if it wasn't.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:34 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since you are planning on mail order for your ongoing prescriptions, if the plans cost about the same, you might look to see if one has a more convenient local in-network preferred provider that you might rather use for the occasional one and done prescription.
Ian S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:51 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
Since you are planning on mail order for your ongoing prescriptions, if the plans cost about the same, you might look to see if one has a more convenient local in-network preferred provider that you might rather use for the occasional one and done prescription.
Thanks. I've checked that, I can use the same local pharmacy for the one offs. Now I need to go over all my meds and see if Good Rx can be a better deal than insurance for some.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:09 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I have found when picking part D , besides entering in the medications currently used, is to select about 4 possible pharmacy brands.
Often 1 pharmacy brand is preferred and therefore considerably cheaper than the others.

When helping some older relatives, I noticed they had a favorite pharmacy, but when the price difference was large enough, were happy to switch to another (grocery pharmacy, Walmart, Costco, CVS, Walgreens, etc).
Old 10-18-2021, 07:44 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I have found when picking part D , besides entering in the medications currently used, is to select about 4 possible pharmacy brands.
Often 1 pharmacy brand is preferred and therefore considerably cheaper than the others.

When helping some older relatives, I noticed they had a favorite pharmacy, but when the price difference was large enough, were happy to switch to another (grocery pharmacy, Walmart, Costco, CVS, Walgreens, etc).

Yes, I ran the comparisons between multiple pharmacies. I always get 3 months at a time, so I don't care if I have to go a bit out of my way. I was surprised to see that in a few cases, Costco is cheaper than even mail order.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:07 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

No changes to my Plan D or Medigap policy. The price for both is up by less than one dollar for 2020.

I'll take that deal.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:19 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

Most (maybe all) Part D providers have preferred pharmacies and standard pharmacies. There is usually a considerable cost savings by using a preferred pharmacy.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote