Join Early Retirement Today

Medigap Plans, and PART D drug plans - What is the ins. "year"
Old 05-14-2018, 11:44 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Medigap Plans, and PART D drug plans - What is the ins. "year"

I was "assuming" (bad idea on anything related to Medicare!) that all the plans "year" ran with the calendar. But there was a video in the seniorsavingsnetwork site that seemed to say Medigap plans ran on sign-up anniversary.

So I'll ask these one by one, so it does not get confusing. For these questions, let's say that the person is eligible for Medicare effective Nov. 1st and starts then:

Medigap (Supplement) Plans that are used with Original Medicare, such as the letter plans F, F HD, G, etc.
Once one is up and running on a letter plan, what is the "year" that is used for deductibles, etc? Is Nov. 1st through the end of the first calendar year one (fractional) year, then start a NEW insurance year on Jan. 1st, and end of THAT year is Dec. 31st, and the ins. "year" is the Jan. through Dec. calendar year from then on?
OR...
Is the "sign-up" start date, Nov. 1st in this example, the beginning of the insurance year, such that the year is anniversary date, Nov. 1st through Oct. 31st, and stays that way, repeating across time?

PART D Drug Plan
Same scenario of a Nov. 1st start date. Is the year Jan. 1st through Dec. 1st once one gets past the partial year of sign-up?
OR...
Does it go by initial sign-up anniversary (I'm guessing no, that it goes by calendar year on Part D Drug Plan).

I have NOT been able to find clear definitions of these!

I have asked people locally here that are on Medicare, and haven't gotten anything but a "I'm not real sure", or a blank look!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

To the best of my knowledge, both Medigap and Part D policies have calendar year deductibles and January 1 renewal dates.

I went on Medicare late in the year and don't recall anything about the pro-ration of deductibles that first partial year, but I was fortunate and had no claims until the following year so didn't have a chance to learn first hand.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:11 PM   #3

In case anyone on Medicare is thinking of moving out-of-state, you can elect to keep your current Medigap policy. (source: https://www.medicare.gov/supplement-...#collapse-2514)

omni

Attached Images
File Type: jpg medigap policy moving.JPG (35.3 KB, 7 views)
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:17 AM   #4

hmmmm...so how does it work for my relative?

they delayed signing up for Part B until this year, so it is effective July 1.

but is it the same start date for their Medigap policies? (they also signed up for G & a drug plan)
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote