Medigap Plans, and PART D drug plans - What is the ins. "year"

Telly

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was "assuming" (bad idea on anything related to Medicare!) that all the plans "year" ran with the calendar. But there was a video in the seniorsavingsnetwork site that seemed to say Medigap plans ran on sign-up anniversary.

So I'll ask these one by one, so it does not get confusing. For these questions, let's say that the person is eligible for Medicare effective Nov. 1st and starts then:

Medigap (Supplement) Plans that are used with Original Medicare, such as the letter plans F, F HD, G, etc.
Once one is up and running on a letter plan, what is the "year" that is used for deductibles, etc? Is Nov. 1st through the end of the first calendar year one (fractional) year, then start a NEW insurance year on Jan. 1st, and end of THAT year is Dec. 31st, and the ins. "year" is the Jan. through Dec. calendar year from then on?
OR...
Is the "sign-up" start date, Nov. 1st in this example, the beginning of the insurance year, such that the year is anniversary date, Nov. 1st through Oct. 31st, and stays that way, repeating across time?

PART D Drug Plan
Same scenario of a Nov. 1st start date. Is the year Jan. 1st through Dec. 1st once one gets past the partial year of sign-up?
OR...
Does it go by initial sign-up anniversary (I'm guessing no, that it goes by calendar year on Part D Drug Plan).

I have NOT been able to find clear definitions of these!

I have asked people locally here that are on Medicare, and haven't gotten anything but a "I'm not real sure", or a blank look!

To the best of my knowledge, both Medigap and Part D policies have calendar year deductibles and January 1 renewal dates.

I went on Medicare late in the year and don't recall anything about the pro-ration of deductibles that first partial year, but I was fortunate and had no claims until the following year so didn't have a chance to learn first hand.

In case anyone on Medicare is thinking of moving out-of-state, you can elect to keep your current Medigap policy. (source: https://www.medicare.gov/supplement...hing-plans/switch-medigap-.html#collapse-2514)

omni

zFaED4ZIHIeRgKOXroZQTQg6GUr4eSjkh5GAo5YQQ0jyUckIIaR5KOSGENA+lnBBCmodSTgghzUMpJ4SQ5qGUE0JI81DKCSGkeSjlhBDSPJRyQghpnv8HXx6yOqgwyf0AAAAASUVORK5CYIIA

Attachments

• medigap policy moving.JPG
    medigap policy moving.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 7
hmmmm...so how does it work for my relative?

they delayed signing up for Part B until this year, so it is effective July 1.

but is it the same start date for their Medigap policies? (they also signed up for G & a drug plan)

Back
Top Bottom