Mega Corp Retiree Healthcare Cost Increase

Finally got my retiree insurance enrollment forms through. Lots of warnings of what might happen next year but for 2014 the same policy is available at a premium increase of 13.7%. The letter also gave an estimate of what they pay each year for health care. They are self insured, with BCBS doing the admin, and their costs are over $5m / year. I don't know how many retirees they have but they have ~500 employees. I'm expecting they will dump retirees In a year or 2, but I'm glad we have another year on their policy. This has been our most expensive year so far with a few, minor, health problems. Cost has been ~$11k, including premiums, and copays etc.

Ours from MegaCorp went up $35 to $540/mo and dental $80 after 50% buy down.
$350 deductable/$4000 max out of pocket.

I continue to be impressed by the health insurance deals mega corps give out.

What that does not reflect is the 40% pay cut plus a frozen non COLA pension all the union employees took in my last four years there.

Now talking about good deals let me tell you about my Federally employed, paper pusher, no college degree brother making a six digit income plus bonuses in addition to receiving a COLA pension for the 22 years he was employed by a state government and his medical program.

Back
Top Bottom