Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2021, 12:22 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Try the following: stand, go, then sit, try to go. Then contrast to sit, go, stand, try to go. It’s pretty clear that standing is better.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2021, 12:35 PM   #22

I stand, but I lean a bit and put one or both hands on the wall. My wife complained that if you looked just right you could see the paint was getting discolored by the constant touching. The solution, I cut a decorative piece of plastic and double side taped it to the wall. Now I only put my hands on that.
I sat twice, when I was having BPH problems, that's when I new it was time to talk to the doc. Proscar and Flomax generics and doing OK, for now,
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:18 PM   #23

I'm a stand-up kind of guy, with good aim and I'll leave it at that. It's shaking the end of the fire hose that can leave clean up on aisle #3 if you get my gist. It is nice to have a north forty for easy access when doing outside work and nature calls.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:45 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Every thread needs a theme song:

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:49 PM   #25

Since my prostate was removed, I generally sleep through the night. But if I get a middle-of-the-night call, then it's sitting down. Otherwise, I'm in the stand-up group. My aim is so-so.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:52 PM   #26

As I have seen scrawled on the restroom wall so many times,
Quote:
No matter how you dance, no matter how you prance,
The last few drops go down your pants.
Old 03-19-2021, 02:18 PM   #27

I am the one who takes the dog out before bed so it is stand up for sure for that one and no splashing worries. If up in the middle of the night I tend to sit as DW gets very miffed if anyone ever forgets to have the toilet seat in the 'ready' position. Otherwise standing. Two DSs so I can attest to the fact that it is mainly the post-void shake that requires subsequent attention. Very happy that there is no longer a shortage of Lysol wipes!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 02:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Two DSs so I can attest to the fact that it is mainly the manly post-void shake that requires subsequent attention. Very happy that there is no longer a shortage of Lysol wipes!
Fixed that for ya !
Old 03-19-2021, 02:39 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Standing. And while in the back yard, standing also. On the golf course, behind a tree and standing.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:06 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

In public bathrooms always standing, but usually sitting when at home as no misses in the dark at night.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:17 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Reading about these splash issues, would something like this help?

https://www.amazon.com/Worltra-Devic.../dp/B073YKS2Y7

omni
Gosh, $47 for 2 pieces of plastic!

Seems like this would work better, comes with a cap, fits in the sink for cleaning, and can be used on car trips. Two for $13.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Coll.../dp/B07ZPDLYZ5
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:20 PM   #32

I stand but I shake into toilet paper.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:59 PM   #33

I've got BPH, well controlled with tamsulosin every other day. I have found that I can make it through the night much better by standing up to pee. Before BPH I always sat to go at home. But that causes its own problems if I play too many games of solitaire.

My aim seems OK if I can hit the ceramic instead of the water. No splashback that way.

With BPH I have noticed that holding it too long means a very slow urination when I finally hit the bathroom. Slow to start, slow to go, and I'll be back soon after things relax a bit.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:18 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
[...]For complete bladder emptying, I need to stand up.

But the problem is that it can create a mess, even if you have good aim. The splash back is a problem with most Western style toilets. [...] this creates a real mess.
OMG! The things I learn on the ER Forum. Obviously I have no suggestions, except this: Any of you guys who live with your wife or sweetie, and have this problem, be sure to carefully and completely clean the bathroom up yourself every single time you "go", without fail. Otherwise it could become a source of arguments and unhappiness for both. Believe it or not, even the most loving wife or SO doesn't always feel blissfully happy at the prospect of cleaning up her hubby/SO's urine that he sprayed all over the bathroom.

I guess I can add this to my list of reasons why I prefer to live alone!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:44 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
OMG! The things I learn on the ER Forum. Obviously I have no suggestions, except this: Any of you guys who live with your wife or sweetie, and have this problem, be sure to carefully and completely clean the bathroom up yourself every single time you "go", without fail. Otherwise it could become a source of arguments and unhappiness for both. Believe it or not, even the most loving wife or SO doesn't always feel blissfully happy at the prospect of cleaning up her hubby/SO's urine that he sprayed all over the bathroom.

Agree and that's another reason why I sit down at home.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:06 PM   #36

I'll sit down at home, but get this: The new house will have a urinal at that 5/8'ths bath right off the garage, as will the DADU bathroom in the shop.
skyking1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 06:07 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

I sit down because *I* do the cleaning
skyking1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:29 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a subject I've been interested in for over 30 years. I thought few would be interested in this but I am clearly mistaken. When we built our first house, I asked my wife for a place for a urinal. We couldn't find room in the design we selected. After many years of grumbling, when we decided to build again the urinal became a requirement. By that time my wife had found a water less urinal for our new home. I love it & so does my wife. Male visitors particularly younger visitors also like using it. Although I cleaned the old bathrooms there were still complaints about the odor of urine. It tends to find every cranny & builds up over time. The complaints of smell have ended. There is some maintenance but it is well worth the time & expense. I have found standing up to urinate at night is much easier than aiming at a circle several feet away.
TriumphTR3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:40 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

sit at home, stand outside of home - either indoors or out.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:16 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Agree and that's another reason why I sit down at home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
I sit down because *I* do the cleaning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
sit at home, stand outside of home - either indoors or out.
Good decision, guys!!!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote