Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-20-2021, 05:56 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
There's also drunkenness with public urinals.
And never at home?

A friend of mine who was a GP suggested sitting down to more fully empty the bladder, but I haven't found that true either.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2021, 06:41 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't have a problem going while sitting, whether it's on a standard toilet or one with a raised seat, but I had trouble going while sitting in the back seat of a car once, maybe because of the muscles I had to use to sit forward.

I think the healthier your prostate is the more you splash.

If you pee into a dentist's sink with the whirlpool going I bet it won't splash. Or maybe the whirlpool would have to have deeper water, but it's something toilet manufacturers should look into.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:30 PM   #63

I always sit down at home. We have bidets with heated seats so it's a very comfy place to sit. So comfy that sometimes I forget to get up when I'm done.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:37 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
A friend of mine who was a GP suggested sitting down to more fully empty the bladder, but I haven't found that true either.
Actually, I have noticed several times having urinated, and then not too much later sitting down for the other end, only to find myself urinating some more in the process. Meaning my bladder was not fully emptied from having stood but cleared the remainder while sitting.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:23 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

I stand. And I do not "splash". No issues .
Old 03-23-2021, 04:07 PM   #66
Confused about dryer sheets

I started sitting since we moved into our latest home. It helps that we had a comfort height bowl installed when we renovated. Before this I used to bend my knees to get lower to try to mitigate splashing.
Poweruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 04:21 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Always stood at night but after being persuaded on this forum to buy a Toto Washlet Seat with auto-flush I find it better to sit. We keep the bedroom cool and the seat is electronically heated which is fabulous. Plus the toilet knows to flush after you have been seated, but standing requires a manual remote button. The seat and lid actually open and close automatically after you’ve gone back to bed. I find it way better that wobbling around half awake and trying to aim in the dark. I do the cleaning in this bath and so I also enjoy not making any mess. This Toto toilet is a fine piece of work which by design stays cleaner, and is easier to clean, than our other toilets. I am also often out in the woods on a large lot so daytimes aren’t usually a problem. I’m watering trees then.
troutnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 04:29 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

I thought the bathroom was for Android Scrabble. Who knew.
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 05:22 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
How about the back yard, behind a tree?
My favorite spot...

Having had prostate cancer, I had the catheter for 13 days post surgery. The surgery can, as can the catheter, alter things down there a little. What used to be a stream is now more often than not a spray. So I sit, unless I’m at a urinal...or a tree. Given Covid, there hasn’t been much standing in the past year.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:26 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Why not just pee into a plastic urinal, or an apple juice jar, and then pour it gently into the toilet?
isisdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 05:26 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
2 feet stationed firmly on the ground and let it splash.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 05:54 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I always sit down at home. We have bidets with heated seats so it's a very comfy place to sit. So comfy that sometimes I forget to get up when I'm done.
We have a full bath off the bedroom. I have a flat screen on the wall of the bedroom with a swivel mount. I mounted a mirror on the opposite wall on a piano hinge. I have string with two hooks to stop the mirror at two different angles. One is for when I'm in the bath tub and the other is when I'm on the toilet. The biggest problem; the drivers in Nascar go around the track in the wrong direction.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:14 PM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was cleaning my own toilet and shower at 10 ish. So I sat down to minimize the cleanup. Been there ever since.
indiajust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:15 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
The biggest problem; the drivers in Nascar go around the track in the wrong direction.
Pretend you are in the Southern Hemisphere!
Old 03-23-2021, 07:28 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Toilet Notice.jpg
Cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:55 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
My favorite spot...

Having had prostate cancer, I had the catheter for 13 days post surgery. The surgery can, as can the catheter, alter things down there a little. What used to be a stream is now more often than not a spray. So I sit, unless I’m at a urinal...or a tree. Given Covid, there hasn’t been much standing in the past year.
Bummer dude. I like pissing in the dirt. I got a lotta dirt too. I'll be Q'in in the back, just step to the side of the patio and...

Hey if I have people, I can go behind the big trees and...
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:19 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I'm not trying to be funny here! This is mostly for the guys, but any comments are welcome.

I'm talking about urination.

Recent news stories and even research articles suggest that sitting down is better for full elimination, especially if you have something like BPH.

I find this doesn't work for me. For complete bladder emptying, I need to stand up.

But the problem is that it can create a mess, even if you have good aim. The splash back is a problem with most Western style toilets. After ER and the pandemic lock-down, most Waste Elimination Events (wee?) are now at home. The water closet is getting overtime usage. I'm our household water closet maintainer, and I recognize that this creates a real mess. You get spots on the walls or nearby toilets from the fine splashes. It builds up over time, and can actually cause damage. I think the recent articles about sitting down are a conspiracy of sorts to help out the WC maintainers, and I can't blame them as I am one of them.

Short of installing a home-value-killing urinal, I'm at a loss to fix this. I guess I could wipe everything down every day, but what a pain. I also don't want to put up plastic wall barriers or anything.

What do you all do? Stand, sit, both? Anyone else with BPH find sitting helps? It sure doesn't for me. How in the heck do you keep everything clean? I know I can't be the only one.
So true! At home I prefer sitting because the splash back mess from standing. If I’m out, urinals are great, if I remodeled my bathroom, I’d look into adding one (and a bidet)!
2cheap2eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:05 AM   #78
Dryer sheet wannabe

I thought it was just me! We have a marble floor in the powder room (shiny marble in a bathroom probably ranks as one of the worst ideas of my life, but that's another topic). Years of standing caused it to get dull, so I started sitting. The floor is still dull, but at least it's a clean dull
Darrenb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:40 AM   #79
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
I sit down because *I* do the cleaning
Ditto. At the present time I don't think that sitting prevents me from fully emptying my bladder.

One of my pet peeves is the requirement that, in public restrooms that only have one urinal, the urinal is mounted low enough for children to use. Well, I'm 6' 3" and it's hard for me to hit a kids height urinal without peeing on top of the darn thing. Kids can pee in the toilet. Mount the urinals at adult height please.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:02 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Prefer standing up, outdoors. Unfortunately at home in daytime it is not an option. Lack of privacy and da*n nosy neighbors ready to complain.
At 14 acre camp privay is defined, can stand and deliver nutients to grass any time of day, as often as necessary. And saves water, no need to flush.