Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer

dumpster56

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So sad younger sister in her 50s . Total cluster****.
Diagnosed 6 weeks ago.

Sorry to hear.
We will pray for her.

So sorry. We lost my sister-in-law to that a few years ago. She was 50.

Thank you. I don’t post much but read everything here . Again thank you.

I am so sorry you, your sister and your family is going through this.

Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

So sorry to hear about your sister. This is a disease that hits hard and seems to appear without warning. I went through this with my brother last year.

Alex Trebek was diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer. He is supposedly in near remission. Why? Survival rate is supposedly 9% for those diagnosed Stage 4. What in the heck is he doing that is so successful? The prayers of millions or an experimental treatment?

I am so sorry to hear of this. As I understand, there have been great strides in pancreatic cancer over the last couple of years, so there might be hope for her.

My Mom had it. Nasty type of cancer. Enjoy the time you have left. Hate to hear things like this, but life is all too real at times.

My father died from pancreatic cancer 30 years ago, at 69. He lived for two years with treatment after diagnosis, much of those two years pretty good, and able to travel.

I was so happy he retired early (52)! He disliked his work (a cubicle job). I used to think, what if he stayed until 65, only to be diagnosed at 67 with two years to live! I haven't retired early, but I really enjoyed my work until the last year or so.

I hope your sister can get some life-extending treatment! It worked for my father, and surely there are new things to try now, so many years later! Alex Trebek can't be the only one. She is in my prayers.

Alex Trebek was diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer. He is supposedly in near remission. Why? Survival rate is supposedly 9% for those diagnosed Stage 4. What in the heck is he doing that is so successful? The prayers of millions or an experimental treatment?

There are some alternative/holistic/complementary treatment options for pancreatic cancer now. I have no idea if Alex Trebek has tried any of these or not, but it may be worthwhile to do some reading about some of these things, to see if any are worthy of trying. Many of these are natural herbs/foods with no negative side effects, so there is no real downside to trying some of them. Here is one link (and their science board is a group of MDs/oncologists); there are others like this if you do a search:

https://pancreatica.org/pancreatic-...alternative-complementary-holistic-treatment/

Sorry to hear this.

Hoping for the best possible outcome for your sister.

omni

So sad younger sister in her 50s . Total cluster****.
Diagnosed 6 weeks ago.

I am so very sorry to hear this. I will keep your sister and your entire family in my prayers.

A friend of mine at w#rk was diagnosed in October 2018. She has been undergoing treatments since then. She is only 44 and has two young boys, 8 and 12 years old. We are all hoping that she beats the odds. I hope the same for your sister.

I know what a shock this must be for all of your family. Sending thoughts your way....

So sorry to hear this news about your sister. People do well after diagnosis - look at Alex Trebek. Take care.

Last edited:
Sorry for you and of course your sister. If not already done, consider researching facilities that specialize in cancer (e.g., Sloan Kettering, MD Anderson, etc.). Worth the trip to any great facility, with the large potential at stake. ( I suggest you avoid Cancer Centers of America, or at minimum research very thoroughly before going there).

Well, he could be one of the 9%. That's not 1 in a million by a long shot, it's about 1 in 10.

Also, sometimes people initially respond well, but the long term situation doesn't work out so well. Obviously, we hope the scenario is good for Alex and the OP's sister.

-ERD50

When my friend repeatedly survived stage 4 ovarian cancer for 20 years the doctor said he wished he knew what was different about her body chemistry and the interaction with chemo that made this possible for some but not many.

Very sorry to hear that.

What follows may not be at all relevant to her situation, so DO NOT see this as a template for her.

My late wife succumbed to that 5+ years ago, having survived 11 months after being diagnosed. By the time it was discovered, it had spread to her lungs, liver and peritoneal lining, well past the point of surgical intervention.

A few general thoughts from that experience:
1. She needs an active partner to manage her care. Chemo, daily medicines, appointments all need to be handled by an assertive advocate.
2. Update all legal docs (will, asset titling, etc.) as soon as possible.
3. Don't let yourself or other family get mentally locked in to any outcome, or timing of the eventuality. One day at a time, and make it count.
4. See that she gets out and active when she is up to it. My wife was able to drive herself to shop once in a while and to travel a couple of times, and I'm glad we made those trips. Helped her to maintain a modest amount of "normality".

There was a lot that happened along the way, and I'm glad I was able to provide her the care. PM me if you like, more than happy to share details.

So sorry to hear this news. I hope she is one of the 9%.

As someone who is a planner and prognosticator, it was really really hard for me to stay in the moment during DH's cancer (stage 4 bile duct cancer when it was found, similar to pancreatic in outcomes). I read somewhere a rabbi's quote that helped me: "Let's not have the funeral today." Not to say that I didn't spend plenty of time terrified about the future, but I at least tried to stay in the moment with him. Every day became "make a wish" day for him.

My dad was diagnosed with stage 3 pancreatic cancer at 78 1/2. By age 80, he was cancer free and cancer never came back - his entire pancreas and many lymph nodes in the area were removed. Chemo and radiation killed off any remaining cells. He was in remission as well.

But the toll the treatment took on his body numbered his days and he died at 82 1/2. The five-year survival rate is 9%, so while AT might be "in remission", it doesn't necessarily mean he's going to contribute positively to that statistic. It's more a function of what that statistic actually means.

To the OP: I'm very sorry to read this news. Cancer sucks.

Back
Top Bottom