Mid year ACA and deductibles

Throwdownmyaceinthehole

Recycles dryer sheets
Still on OMM but end will soon come, but I've been saying that for 2 years. I'm currently covered with work health insurance and will take ACA after. But let's say I meet and pay my deductible on the company health insurance of 1k, then when I start ACA, I'm guessing the deductible will start again?? So I should hold off any optional health care until I move to ACA or get it all done under company plan to get my money's worth? Pretty healthy :D so far. This may be another reason to add to folk's what month should I retire list.

You are right that once you've met the deductible for your plan, it can be advantagous to stay on that plan for the remainder of the year.

You'll have to weigh cost differences between that plan and the possibility of cheaper/subsidized exchange plans.

Also - you want to check with the insurer or benefits department to find out if switching to COBRA of the same plan will restart the deductible. I was on an HMO with copays (no deductible) so didn't face that issue - but when I terminated employment and switched to COBRA I got letters showing proof of insurance (and termination of insurance dates) and then "welcome" letters... so my insurer did indicate a stop/start of insurance. That said - I had the same medical record number - so it might have carried over my deductible. That would be worth exploring because it could impact your decision.

Back
Top Bottom