Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-02-2018, 02:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
So if running is so bad for your joints, etc esp as you age why not take up spinning, biking, or elliptical ? Might allow you to keep going longer?
Quite possible. After some knee surgery ~27 years ago the surgeon told me "You can walk, ride a bike, swim. Do NOT run!"

Indeed every time I did (an occasional job requirement) my knee was sore for at least a week. Now I'm at the gym every other day with no issues, but I don't do any running.

But that's one guy with an old knee injury. YMMV.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

At 55 I run 3 miles 5 days a week and have been doing that for about 7 years. When weather permits I walk 2 miles at lunch at a brisk pace (5 trips around the outside of megacorp). I also try to get in as much strength training as I can in between.

I have plans to increase that regime and change it up some when I retire. Add more trail running and hiking into the mix. Hopefully my body will cooperate and allow me to do all that!!!
Old 02-02-2018, 06:10 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So if running is so bad for your joints, etc esp as you age why not take up spinning, biking, or elliptical ? Might allow you to keep going longer?

For me, running is ok as long as I keep the mileage down to 10-15 miles a week. I don’t like spinning or elliptical - I have to get my cardio outside. I do enjoy biking and will probably include more biking as I get older.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:06 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
For me, running is ok as long as I keep the mileage down to 10-15 miles a week. I don’t like spinning or elliptical - I have to get my cardio outside. I do enjoy biking and will probably include more biking as I get older.
Agree that outside is best, but it depends where you live. I roll my spinning bike out on the lawn in summer at the lake. Is 10-15 miles a week enough cardio for you? I would usually get about 240-300 minutes of quite intense cardio every week.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:35 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thank you so much for sharing this! I was very active with long distance running and triathlons until my early 40s, but for almost 10 years, work and kids have been the priority. I have worried about the lost fitness and impact on future health. This motivates me to get back at it. Personally, I feel better all around when I am active. Good luck, everyone!
ReadySetGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:52 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Agree that outside is best, but it depends where you live. I roll my spinning bike out on the lawn in summer at the lake. Is 10-15 miles a week enough cardio for you? I would usually get about 240-300 minutes of quite intense cardio every week.

I hike/walk and bike in addition to running. 5-10 hours a week. Not very intense though.

I just started the reduced running plan a month ago. Hopefully 10-15 miles per week intense running combined with low intensity walking/hiking/biking will be enough cardio.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:02 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I run on a treadmill in front of a tv. The flexing of the machine reduces impact of running.
thepalmersinking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exercise, fitness