Middle of Night Heartburn

I used Prilosec for years until it was linked to Alzhiemers. Now I drink a fresh squeezed lemon everyday and heart burn is cured. This is from someone who used to wake up gurgling acid in the middle of the night. No side effects to that remedy.

Can you provide a reference that links Prilosec to Alzheimer's ? I thought this was disproven :

"Drugs used to treat acid reflux and ulcers don't appear to boost the risk of dementia, as has been previously suspected, new research suggests"

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20170628/heartburn-meds-dont-raise-alzheimers-risk-study

and

"CONCLUSION:
Proton pump inhibitors were not associated with greater risk of dementia or of AD, in contrast to recent reports. Study limitations include reliance on self-reported PPI use and lack of dispensing data. Prospective studies are needed to confirm these results to guide empirically based clinical treatment recommendations"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28590010

I used Prilosec for years until it was linked to Alzhiemers. Now I drink a fresh squeezed lemon everyday and heart burn is cured. This is from someone who used to wake up gurgling acid in the middle of the night. No side effects to that remedy.

Unfiltered apple cider vinegar is a similar home remedy, based on the theory that reflux is actually caused by inadequate stomach acid. In that environment, the theory goes, food has time to ferment before it is digested and produces gas that pushes acid into the esophagus. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12671885

I've tried the vinegar and didn't notice a great improvement. The best result for me came with limiting food and drink consumption later in the day. There's always that temptation to snack after supper, but I try to resist.

I also had not seen studies linking PP inhibitors to dementia. The risk in PPI's, to my mind, is more along the lines of worsening bone loss through reducing the body's ability to digest minerals. It just can't be good for a person to go through life producing only 5% of normal stomach acid, no matter how much better the medicine makes you feel.

Now, I'm suspicious of H2 blockers, because they are similar to antihistamines, which have been linked, through studies, to dementia. Yet I haven't seen studies directly linking H2 blockers to dementia.

Can you provide a reference that links Prilosec to Alzheimer's ? I thought this was disproven :

"Drugs used to treat acid reflux and ulcers don't appear to boost the risk of dementia, as has been previously suspected, new research suggests"

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20170628/heartburn-meds-dont-raise-alzheimers-risk-study

and

"CONCLUSION:
Proton pump inhibitors were not associated with greater risk of dementia or of AD, in contrast to recent reports. Study limitations include reliance on self-reported PPI use and lack of dispensing data. Prospective studies are needed to confirm these results to guide empirically based clinical treatment recommendations"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28590010

I haven't changed my diet, but 5 of the last 6 nights I've awakened in middle of night with painful heartburn. Apparently there are 2 main types of OTC acid reducers - H2 receptors (e.g., Tagamet/Zantac) or proton pump (e.g., Prilosec/Prevacid).
I had this problem many years ago when I was 50 pounds heavier, but not since I took off, and kept off, the weight. I can't get in to see my Gastro MD until 3 weeks from now. I don't eat anything past 7 PM, and go to sleep somewhere between 10 PM and 1 AM. Don't eat spicy foods. Anyone with insight on this issue, and which medication is more appropriate?

Stress could cause the sudden acidity. Take in some alkaline water with a 9+ Ph

"I discussed with my doctor the concerns I had from my research regarding the reported negatives of being on a PPI. The doctor felt strongly that those issues occur only after years of PPI use. His plan is to have me on the PPI Omeprazole for 3 months and than to transition to a daily such as Rantinidine."

I would get some other opinions before I go 3 months on PPI. If you read up on it, they say ok for short term use (days, maybe a week) but 3 months and your system will adjust to it and you very well will have repercussions getting off of it.

I have been on PPI's for 20 yrs now and just starting to try to get off of it. I hope I can succeed in a 6 week time span but depends upon the issues of having been dependent upon it.

There are other alternatives. I believe some Dr's are not up on the latest and are too quick to prescribe what was 'old school" go to drugs. PPI is one of them.

Why don't you try a Fresh Squeezed Lemon like the above poster, drop the Omeprazole, and then report back to us..... Let us know how that works!

The lemon juice may have worked for that poster, but frankly I don't think acidic lemon juice is a good idea. I won't do it.

Italian food will sometimes get to me. My go to medicine is Tagamet. Fixes me right up...

I use a wedge pillow I got on Amazon for when I sleep. Or you could but two bricks under your bed's headboard legs to raise it. That can help.

Raising the head of the bed didn't work for me, but raising it 3" PLUS using a wedge pillow seems to do the trick!

I discussed with my doctor the concerns I had from my research regarding the reported negatives of being on a PPI. The doctor felt strongly that those issues occur only after years of PPI use. His plan is to have me on the PPI Omeprazole for 3 months and than to transition to a daily such as Rantinidine.

Firemediceric, that's interesting that the doc wants to switch you to Ranitidine eventually. Does he think Ranitidine is safer than a PPI?

He concurs that a PPI can have negative long-term effects. He wants me on it for three months to allow any damage to heal and then he feels the Rantinidine will be sufficient but will of course need to monitor my symptoms.

It’s interesting that I have read that when the FDA first approved a PPI, I forget which one in particular, FDA recommended use for no more than eight consecutive weeks

He concurs that a PPI can have negative long-term effects. He wants me on it for three months to allow any damage to heal and then he feels the Rantinidine will be sufficient but will of course need to monitor my symptoms.

It’s interesting that I have read that when the FDA first approved a PPI, I forget which one in particular, FDA recommended use for no more than eight consecutive weeks

Sounds to me like he thinks the Ranitidine is safer, but won't say why. And yes, it says right on the box of my Lansoprazole to not take for more than 14 days without consulting a doctor.

Try lots of lemon in your water. Along with some changes in diet seems to help reduce my heartburn and acid reflux. Also sleep with head inclined.

OP here. 7 straight nights without a problem, since I started taking a daily prescription dose of Omeprazole. And that includes a night after eating Italian food (I took a Zantac prior to that dinner).

+1 miracle drug for me. I would think my doctor would let me know if it caused dementia. Lemon juice? Yeah, more acid is going to do the trick.

+1 from me too. My only regular drug of any kind and I am very grateful for it. There are slight risks of course - but there are also serious risks, beyond the discomfort, to not treating Gerd effectively. So whatever works for you - if antacids work, fine, if other drugs work, fine (though they may have risks too) - but for me trial and error has me set in my regime now

Somebody in a previous post mentioned having 5% of the normal stomach acid after taking PPIs. I can't find the post anymore though. Anyone know how much the stomach acid is supposed to be reduced by PPIs? 50%? 75%? I take my PPI only every other day, so I assume my average stomach acid is higher than it would be if I were to take the pill every day. I want the acid to be as high as possible while still avoiding gerd symptoms.

Lemon juice? Yeah, more acid is going to do the trick.

I have also poo-poohed the idea of this alternative treatment, but I have to admit it has some reasonable arguments:

1. Older people tend to have less stomach acid.
  2. Less stomach acid leads to more bacteria.
  3. More bacteria leads to increased pressure.
  4. Increased pressure leads to more reflux.
  5. Solution is to increase the acid level in the stomach.

For me (LPR sufferer), PPIs have never helped. Also, I've found that a good burp can sometimes immediately stop my symptoms.

OTOH, I don't have much gas. No good studies that I've found support the take-acid idea.

Although a wedge pillow has stopped my nighttime symptoms, I consistently start coughing about one hour after eating. I might have to do some testing with vinegar or lemon.

My internist informed me that prescription strength Esomeprazole reduces stomach acid to 5% of normal. But I haven't found any medical literature that states any particular amount of reduction.

Somebody in a previous post mentioned having 5% of the normal stomach acid after taking PPIs. I can't find the post anymore though. Anyone know how much the stomach acid is supposed to be reduced by PPIs? 50%? 75%? I take my PPI only every other day, so I assume my average stomach acid is higher than it would be if I were to take the pill every day. I want the acid to be as high as possible while still avoiding gerd symptoms.

My internist informed me that prescription strength Esomeprazole reduces stomach acid to 5% of normal. But I haven't found any medical literature that states any particular amount of reduction.

Thanks, Amethyst. Wow, 5% is way down there, isn't it? No wonder they are talking about changes to the nutrient absorption process.

Thanks, Amethyst. Wow, 5% is way down there, isn't it? No wonder they are talking about changes to the nutrient absorption process.
. Indeed, how could there not be? There's a cost to everything.

Back
Top Bottom