Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
I think mid life crises is a nudge from your soul to do something that makes your heart happy .
I think for me it was waking up one morning and looking around then asking myself "How the hell did I get into this situation?"
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Do any of you feel you went thru a midlife crisis where you didn’t know what you wanted to do, but you just wanted to do something different?
Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
I think mid life crises is a nudge from your soul to do something that makes your heart happy I cannot imagine doing the same things year after year....what a boring way to live...for me...
My midlife crisis when I was 40 caused me to leave a cushy job at a megacorp to found a couple of startups with friends of the same mind. The businesses later floundered despite our hard work. I have scars to show for it. I never went back to a megacorp, but by doing freelancing and contract work still managed to retire early. Whew... It could have been a lot worse.

No, never a desire for a fast car, or a mistress... My crisis then was more about the rest of my life, what else I could do outside of megacorps. After the humbling experience, I am now happy just counting my money with Quicken on a good market day. Yes, it could have been worse.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Many of us have been in this situation with doubts about out marriage. I highly recommend getting in to see a marriage counselor before it is too late to save.

Best decision I ever made in my life and now we are in a very happy place years later.
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:17 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
+1
+1
was my first thought.
I quit smoking yrs. ago and had a lot of the same symptoms.
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

I had a midlife crisis 13 years ago at the age of 45. Just gave the result a spring cleaning.

Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:51 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Nice looking car after 13 years. Either you have really pampered it, or used Photoshop.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Nice looking car after 13 years. Either you have really pampered it, or used Photoshop.
Photoshop vac...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Thanks - No photoshop. Just got lucky with the sunlight in the photo. Pampered, but not really pampered- it sits in the garage from November to April. But I have taken out a deer with it. Only has 79k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Photoshop vac...
yes there was a shopvac involved
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:55 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I had a midlife crisis 13 years ago at the age of 45. Just gave the result a spring cleaning.

Nice! I always treated my "65 Vette better than most things. I should have never sold it.

I drove back from Oklahoma City today and followed a new 2014 Z06 Vette (pure white) for about 200 miles on I-45. Older fellow was driving it. All I can say is wow.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:28 AM   #50
gone traveling

One of my favorite blog posts from NYT.... great perspective on men, women, marriage and the mid life crises that we face...

Quote:
By LAURA A. MUNSON
Published: July 31, 2009

Sure, you have your marital issues, but on the whole you feel so self-satisfied about how things have worked out that you would never, in your wildest nightmares, think you would hear these words from your husband one fine summer day: “I don’t love you anymore. I’m not sure I ever did. I’m moving out. The kids will understand. They’ll want me to be happy.”

../..

And I saw what had been missing: pride. He’d lost pride in himself. Maybe that’s what happens when our egos take a hit in midlife and we realize we’re not as young and golden anymore.

My husband had become lost in the myth. But he found his way out. We’ve since had the hard conversations. In fact, he encouraged me to write about our ordeal. To help other couples who arrive at this juncture in life. People who feel scared and stuck. Who believe their temporary feelings are permanent. Who see an easy out, and think they can escape.

My husband tried to strike a deal. Blame me for his pain. Unload his feelings of personal disgrace onto me.
But I ducked. And I waited. And it worked.
Mod edit; Indeed a wonderful post, but copyright rules protect the content (see Gumby's sticky here). The original post is here, behind a paywall that allows a few free views.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Wow, that is a great post--thank you very much for sharing it. I really can appreciate it a lot, though thankfully not having experienced it entirely. But I do have one of those midlife husbands, who has been working very hard on that ego/happiness thing since leaving his job this past summer.
Really glad you dug that up, papa.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You All
Old 04-02-2014, 08:09 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thank You All

Many thanks to both the OP (original poster, Brian) for starting this thread and for all those who have contributed to it. When this started, I never expected this to remain a civil discussion; I am both impressed and grateful.

Based on the views/replies ratio of this thread, I am assuming many others have found it useful in some way but have been following it quietly as I had been. Even though I do not have anything useful or insightful to contribute, I did want to publicly thank all who have done so and remind you that you are helping more than one person (OP), likely many more.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:07 AM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's a fantastic story papadad - thanks for posting it here.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:07 AM   #54

To the OP : I am 49 also and also going through a mid life crisis. Right now, in your shoes, I would stay put and seek medical advice. Psych consult might be indicated. Good luck and take care.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #55
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
To the OP : I am 49 also and also going through a mid life crisis. Right now, in your shoes, I would stay put and seek medical advice. Psych consult might be indicated. Good luck and take care.
Noone wants to know if you are taking your own advice and seeing a shrink.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post

That's what e-r.org is for. They beat you up till you grow a spine.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #57

Whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote