Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Military medical retiree health & dental insurance reccomendation?
Old 07-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Military medical retiree health & dental insurance reccomendation?

Hi guys!

so I got medically retired couple months ago and i'm not sure which insurances should I enroll into...

what would you guys recommend?

just go for Tricare prime? and Tricare dental program?
jalesh404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2017, 11:27 AM   #2

Have you been here yet?

The Military Guide

Lots of helpful information about insurance, finances, and everything else, written by a retired military member (who is also a member here).
Old 07-25-2017, 11:49 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In most cases, you'll be aligned with one or maybe two options. I recently qualified for reserve retirement (age 60). Since we're not near a military base, it's Tricare extra for us. If we were near a base, it would be standard. At age 65 (when medicare becomes primary), Tricare for life becomes the "wrap-around" insurance.

I hope you enjoy your well earned benefit. A quick call to Tricare should sort this out.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:02 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Generally speaking, Tricare Prime is about as good as it gets. The Tricare dental insurance for retirees is about as bad as it gets.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Have you been here yet?

The Military Guide

Lots of helpful information about insurance, finances, and everything else, written by a retired military member (who is also a member here).
Thanks, Braumeister!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalesh404 View Post
so I got medically retired couple months ago and i'm not sure which insurances should I enroll into...

what would you guys recommend?

just go for Tricare prime? and Tricare dental program?
Tricare Prime has a general 40-mile enrollment radius, although you might be able to get that waived out to 100 miles. You'll also be nudged into using the military base treatment facility for your primary care manager, but again you can ask for a civilian PCM.
40 miles for Tricare Prime - or maybe Tricare Standard - Military Guide

I've been happy with the quality of the medical care, but in general the bureaucracy sucks.

Depending on the nature of your medical situation, you might prefer to go Tricare Standard. You'll have the same $3000/year catastrophic cap with a 20% cost share instead of $12 copays, but you'll be able to choose any provider who accepts Tricare-- and you won't have to do referrals for every separate issue.

Depending on your dental genes (and your dental hygiene) you may be able to cancel your insurance and just do X-rays/exams/cleanings every 2-3 years.
Do You Really Need Retired Military Dental Insurance - Military Guide
I've been doing this for over 15 years, with rigorous flossing & brushing. Better yet, full exams & cleanings in Bangkok are very cheap.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:50 PM   #6

One other anecdote here. When I told sawbones that I was going from mega-corp insurance to Tri-Care, he commented that TC was most always reasonable in covering whatever. I found that reassuring - - - sort of.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:44 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Forget any dental "insurance".

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:06 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

If you were medically retired, why go with Tricare at all? I would think that you would have some semblance of VA claim. And if your conditions are so bad that you were retired for it, I would also presume you are greater than 50%. If that is the case than all of your care should be free from the VA. Have you completed your claim? Have you looked into the VA programs?
griffithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffithee View Post
If you were medically retired, why go with Tricare at all? I would think that you would have some semblance of VA claim. And if your conditions are so bad that you were retired for it, I would also presume you are greater than 50%. If that is the case than all of your care should be free from the VA. Have you completed your claim? Have you looked into the VA programs?
I have medical insurance through work despite being 90% rated through the VA. Getting stuff that you want "urgently" through the VA can be very problematic in my experience. Having the option to use outside doctors affordably can be very beneficial. When the cost for such additional options is reasonable of course, and to me tricare prime would fit that bill.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:42 PM   #10

I always wanted a choice of providers after I retired so I used Tricare Standard and paid for a supplement from MOAA. Now that I'm on Medicare that's a moot point as Tricare for Life is a supplement to Medicare. Other people I knew were perfectly happy with Tricare Prime.

Whether military-sponsored or not, I've never seen a decent dental insurance plan.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I always wanted a choice of providers after I retired so I used Tricare Standard and paid for a supplement from MOAA. Now that I'm on Medicare that's a moot point as Tricare for Life is a supplement to Medicare.

Whether military-sponsored or not, I've never seen a decent dental insurance plan.
That was my situation too. The MOAA Mediplus supplement was excellent for me, and of course the Medicare/TFL combination is unbeatable.

For even additional variety, I make it a point to go in to the local VA clinic once a year for a checkup, which usually just means having a ten minute chat with the doctor. They always offer to provide anything I want, but I'm happy with my primary civilian doc who I've been seeing for over 20 years.

We're very lucky in that DW's last employer provides the same subsidized dental insurance to retirees as to employees. It's a great deal for us, but aside from that plan I've never seen one that was worth anything either.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
I have medical insurance through work despite being 90% rated through the VA. Getting stuff that you want "urgently" through the VA can be very problematic in my experience. Having the option to use outside doctors affordably can be very beneficial. When the cost for such additional options is reasonable of course, and to me tricare prime would fit that bill.
I am 10% disabled Vet. 100% of my healthcare is provided by the VA. I have not yet had major health issues, but I have had to use the emergency care door at the VA, and all was well.

I would go VA and save the money.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health insurance, military, retirees