Join Early Retirement Today

Milk and Weight Loss
Old 07-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Milk and Weight Loss

I heard that drinking milk helps in weight loss.

Not only because of studies but from visual inspection. I have a brother who's about a year older than me. We were pretty much the same weight back in college years (years ago). But since middle age, I've seen my weight go up (about 30 lbs). He's only put on about 10 lbs since then. I thought the difference in weight was him married and playing/chasing after his kids. But his kids are mostly grown and he hasn't really put on extra weight.

The other difference I see is he loves cereal, as a result, loves milk.

So, I'm giving the milk diet a try.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I drink 2 glasses of nonfat milk per day. Cannot get by without it.

Once you get used to nonfat there is no feeling of loss of taste. On cereal I'll admit that 2% is tastier. Sometimes on vacation I've had that.

Actually in the mornings I just have a bowl of fruit with the milk. This morning I had an orange, piece of toast with butter, milk, and coffee with only sugar.

FWIW I'm pretty slim, but I run more then 20 miles/week in the hills plus do gardening and take occasional walks.

Enough bragging, sorry about that.
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I heard that drinking milk helps in weight loss.

Not only because of studies but from visual inspection. I have a brother who's about a year older than me. We were pretty much the same weight back in college years (years ago). But since middle age, I've seen my weight go up (about 30 lbs). He's only put on about 10 lbs since then. I thought the difference in weight was him married and playing/chasing after his kids. But his kids are mostly grown and he hasn't really put on extra weight.

The other difference I see is he loves cereal, as a result, loves milk.

So, I'm giving the milk diet a try.
I drink skim milk, because regular milk is supposed to be fattening. But really, you may be on to something. I find that even skim milk is very satisfying and helps me to resist various food temptations. So, in that sense it is very helpful in my eternal weight loss efforts.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe your thinner brother is regularly eating his cereal with milk as breakfast and you are skipping breakfast? Eating breakfast is supposed to be one of the biggest factors in maintaining a healthy weight.

signed,
someone who skips breakfast
Old 07-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I've been using skim for at least ten years now and love it. The other types now taste too rich to me.

On the other hand, this spring I rediscovered a love of ice cream from local dairies...

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
gone traveling

I use fat free organic milk on my morning cereal and love it.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. I haven't had milk since I was a baby due to being lactose intolerant and i've always been below an ideal weight. I'm currently 6'6" and weigh 163lbs. I just started trying to GAIN weight and have added lactose free milk to my diet to gain weight because it has protein unlike any other drink I ever have. My brother has always drank a lot of milk and he is now at least 30 pounds overweight and starting a diet.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'm used to drinking skim milk and now any with more fat feels too fat for me. Also, with the lactose free type.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I drink only organic skim, my problem is the cake I have with it.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I drink only organic skim, my problem is the cake I have with it.
Can't you get your DW to bake you an organic cake?
Old 07-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yup, but it didn't help!
Old 07-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

You sure it wasn't yogurt? This recent newsmaker talked about the long-term weight suppressing effects of yogurt (-0.82 lb./year), nuts (-0.57 lb./year), and fruit (-0.49 lb./year).

Changes in Specific Dietary Factors May Have Big Impact on Long-Term Weight Gain - June 22, 2011 -2011 Releases - Press Releases - Harvard School of Public Health

But here's a question: if you start drinking milk (or eating yogurt), and your weight DOES stop going up, will it suddenly pile on once you quit drinking milk? If so, I don't see the point.
a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a View Post
You sure it wasn't yogurt? This recent newsmaker talked about the long-term weight suppressing effects of yogurt (-0.82 lb./year), nuts (-0.57 lb./year), and fruit (-0.49 lb./year).

Changes in Specific Dietary Factors May Have Big Impact on Long-Term Weight Gain - June 22, 2011 -2011 Releases - Press Releases - Harvard School of Public Health

But here's a question: if you start drinking milk (or eating yogurt), and your weight DOES stop going up, will it suddenly pile on once you quit drinking milk? If so, I don't see the point.
I believe is dairy products that may help in losing weight.

Of course, if I drink milk and lose weight and I don't quit drinking milk, then maybe that is a good approach.

I like cereal. So I can't complain.

Now, if it was carrots or lima beans (ick) that help one lose weight, that's another story.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:00 AM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
73ss454 is not being completely honest, as he's not fessing up to all those NY begals he's eating
Old 07-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
73ss454 is not being completely honest, as he's not fessing up to all those NY begals he's eating
Funny you mention bagels, DW and I are up in NY and I've been eating my fair share of bagels.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Funny you mention bagels, DW and I are up in NY and I've been eating my fair share of bagels.
Did you pay a visit to Center Moriches or Sunrise Highway (Motion maybe??).

In any event, have a good visit in the old stomping grounds.