Mood Probiotic

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
This supplement was recently suggested as a way to live a better life. My life is pretty darn good now, so I am hesitant to make it any better. Has anyone else had any experience with this?

About the product

• NEW DISCOVERY in probiotic science that connects gut bacteria to emotions and state of mind. *
  • TWO UNIQUE STRAINS WITH CLINICALLY STUDIED BENEFITS: Lactobacillus helveticus Rosell-52ND, Bifidobacterium longum Rosell-175.*
  • STRESS MANAGEMENT SUPPORT: helps support positive mood and emotional wellness.*
  • LICENSED FORMULA USED IN PUBLISHED STUDIES: British Journal of Nutrition (March 2011); Nutrition Research Journal (Jan 2008).
  • Cultured and encapsulated in Canada. Packaged and tested in USA.
https://www.amazon.com/PROBIOTIC-InnovixLabs-probiotic-clinically-psychological/dp/B00ZMO7UKW/

We've known for centuries that how we feel affects our gut - just think what happens before an exam or a job interview - but now it is being seen as a two-way street.

Groups of researchers believe they are on the cusp of a revolution that uses "mood microbes" or "psychobiotics" to improve mental health.
The study that ignited the whole concept took place at Kyushu University in Japan.
And if we're doing that unwittingly, imagine the potential of being able to change our microbiome for the better.
Prof Cryan said: "I predict in the next five years when you go to your doctor for your cholesterol testing etc, you'll also get your microbiome assessed.
"The microbiome is the fundamental future of personalised medicine."
How bacteria are changing your mood - BBC News

Last edited:
Careful wordsmithing points to snake oil: "clinically studied" and "used in published studies." Nothing is said about whether the stuff was shown to be any good. If it were shown to be any good, they would certainly be touting that.

I would bet it's snake oil and wouldn't waste any time on it, but if you want to pursue it ask for links or copies of these studies. If they were not reported in refereed journals, end of story. If refereed journals, what were the results?

The linked study is over 15 years old and is a mouse study. Are you a mouse? If this is the best that they can come up with, don't waste any more time.

Don't be fooled by the hype. You almost certainly already have those critters living in your gut.

Want to increase their numbers? Eat some yogurt.

You ever walk around the pharmacy at Walmart? Maybe that's why people of Walmart is so popular, all those slender people who benefited from "fat burners" and the happy people who took St. John's Wort.

Look how much floor space Walmart gives these products, they must be very profitable.

Last edited:
better than yogurt, at least for me, in terms of gut health, regularity, and an energy boost, feeling of well being: drink kefir. At least that has centuries of anecdotal evidence. Have no idea if there are any kefir studies out there, just know it has a benefit for me. And believe it or not, Walmart has it cheaper than any other local source for me (and at health food and grocery stores), $2.78 for a four serving container, Life way brand, same brand as available elsewhere. Probably lots cheaper than what you mention. Try it once for yourself.

In general, I've read lots on microbes which do impact our health (cause and cure cancer, linked with weight issues, even ADD, autism, etc). There are good and bad microbes in your body and depending on which you are feeding determines how "healthy" you are. Many people are now trying to figure out exactly which foods and what pre/probiotics will feed the right microbes to get help with brain and mood disorders, weight issues, inflammation, cancer, etc.

They are a long way off from proving anything, but they have some initial studies. What I got out of the museums exhibit on it was, Sugar is bad (feeds lots of the bad microbes) and eating a very diverse diet with help ensure you get a well rounded micro biome... and if you don't eat a diverse diet, then pro/pre biotics may help but there are so many of them and YOU personally may be short of only certain types so finding the right probiotic for you is basically a needle in a haystack right now. I have a prebiotic and a probiotic I take which I feel less sluggish when I take but I tried like 50 varieties before I settled on this one and my sister took and she thought it was a waste of money.

There's a reason they call the stomach "your second brain". Gut health is way underestimated.

I went through quite an education on this after complications from a gall bladder removal. Had severe digestive issues for over 3 years. Gut health is way important.

Kefir is super easy to make. You just need kefir grains to start and they go on and on.
Gut bacteria studies are still in their relative infancy, but fascinating. I take a probiotic every couple of days, but there are many strains of bacteria and no one yet knows what is best (if any).

I thought I heard something recently on the TV that probiotics cause cancer:LOL:

better than yogurt, at least for me, in terms of gut health, regularity, and an energy boost, feeling of well being: drink kefir. At least that has centuries of anecdotal evidence. Have no idea if there are any kefir studies out there, just know it has a benefit for me. And believe it or not, Walmart has it cheaper than any other local source for me (and at health food and grocery stores), $2.78 for a four serving container, Life way brand, same brand as available elsewhere. Probably lots cheaper than what you mention. Try it once for yourself.

There are many scholarly studies on Kefir. Some of the deepest studies I saw were done in Iran or Turkey and are published in English. Makes sense since that is the cradle of Kefir. A google search finds them if you go deep. Here's one from Brazil that points to a lot of other studies:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3833126/

Kefir is super easy to make. You just need kefir grains to start and they go on and on.
Gut bacteria studies are still in their relative infancy, but fascinating. I take a probiotic every couple of days, but there are many strains of bacteria and no one yet knows what is best (if any).

Yep. Started making my own last year. It is clearly much more active than the store bought stuff, being nearly effervescent.

Yep. Started making my own last year. It is clearly much more active than the store bought stuff, being nearly effervescent.

How long does it take to 'make'? What do you do with it when you go away on an extended vacation?

omni

Takes about 1-3 days to make it. All you do is pour milk (or some people do water kefir) on the live grains and place the covered jar on your countertop. It is personal preference as to how "strong" you want it. I like mine strong!
When you go away for awhile, you can just cover the starter with milk and it keeps well for a long period in the fridge.
You can often buy kefir grains on Craigslist. Mine cost about $6.00 and are now about 4 years old.

What Marita40 said. Exactly correct.

I got my grains from Amazon for about $13 from some guy in Texas.

Back
Top Bottom