Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-18-2016, 05:45 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
We live in Florida, on an island, next to conserved land. Biting insects can be a real problem.

For years, our solution has been to eliminate standing water and use a 'Mosquito Magnet'. About $300/stand - lasts for 3-4 years. A slow heat/burn of propane (lasts 3 weeks at $14/refill) emits CO2. Counter-rotating electric fans puts out the gas, the biting insects fly to the horn and get sucked into a net where they desiccate. Works on biting flies, mosquitos and no-seums (known as invisible flying teeth in FL) Collapses biting insect populations in about 4 weeks.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 06:44 AM   #42
Gone but not forgotten

Re: Mosquito bites.

In an above post, I linked mosquito bite video... It was the wrong one. Try this.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:17 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have your solution! I'll ask the colony of bats I just discovered in my attic to relocate to your place!

Well, actually there's a guy coming this afternoon to give me an estimate for getting them out. I doubt they'd relocate voluntarily! We were gone for a week and in that time an abundance of guano showed up on driveway below a high vent that no doubt has deteriorated screen. Looking at over a $1,000. Unfortunately the attic space they've taken residence in is totally inaccessible except via that vent.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:16 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
I have your solution! I'll ask the colony of bats I just discovered in my attic to relocate to your place!

Well, actually there's a guy coming this afternoon to give me an estimate for getting them out. I doubt they'd relocate voluntarily! We were gone for a week and in that time an abundance of guano showed up on driveway below a high vent that no doubt has deteriorated screen. Looking at over a $1,000. Unfortunately the attic space they've taken residence in is totally inaccessible except via that vent.
Is it possible to install some kind of funnel that permits egress but does not permit access? If so, when they're gone they 'should be' gone.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:19 PM   #45

Yes, that's what they'll do. it doesn't appear they penetrated the screen and are living in the louvres. I could do it but it's at the end of my extension ladder and I've sworn off reaching that high. Plus, they'll treat for mites and other nastiness they can bring that I just don't want to mess with. This conforms with my goal of taking fewer risks as I age over saving money.

I am tempted to place a bat box in a tree out back by our lake but DW does NOT approve. Oh well.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:22 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Most bat colonies are summer colonies.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:18 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Yes, that's what they'll do. it doesn't appear they penetrated the screen and are living in the louvres. I could do it but it's at the end of my extension ladder and I've sworn off reaching that high. Plus, they'll treat for mites and other nastiness they can bring that I just don't want to mess with. This conforms with my goal of taking fewer risks as I age over saving money.

I am tempted to place a bat box in a tree out back by our lake but DW does NOT approve. Oh well.
Pretty expensive for such a simple job, did you get other quotes ?

I'd be pretty tempted to wait until late evening after they fly out, and then spray the vents with something to make them not want to live there. Either wasp killer (it sprays 15 ft) or coyote piss in a spray bottle (used in gardening to protect flowers from deer).

The issue of mites, fleas etc is nothing as you are not going to be handling them and those insects are outside and will die off without the bats there.

Wear rubber gloves if you do ever touch a bat as they can carry rabies and fleas.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #48

I didn't bother with other quotes as the description of what would be done was extensive (fogging attic and spraying, as well as blocking several other suspect entries). I'll admit it's not cheap, but was impressed with the guy. If you research "bat bugs" on wikipedia they aren't benign and can well enter the attic through the screen from an infestation. Highly likely? Probably not. Just want it done completely without any problems.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:15 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
well that is interesting about "bat bugs".

Since they are so similar to bed bugs, the temperature of 120F or higher probably kills them off (if they were in an attic), but spraying the poison (fogging) would certainly help ease the mind.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #50

For those who have used permethrin to treat clothes.

How well does it work to prevent mosquito bites? Do you still have to use a deet based repellant on your skin?
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:22 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
For those who have used permethrin to treat clothes.

How well does it work to prevent mosquito bites? Do you still have to use a deet based repellant on your skin?
I still use DEET on my skin for mosquitos.

The permethrin treatment on clothing is to keep ticks away. That's a much bigger fear for me due to the growing threat of Lyme disease. If you do any hiking in the woods, I consider it essential.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:46 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Permethrin on clothes keeps mosquitos from biting through the clothes.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:39 PM   #53

Thanks. While hiking/camping in the Rockies, ticks aren't an issue, but mosquitoes sometimes are. I haven't been bitten through clothes yet, so I think I'll pass on the permethrin. I don't have an issue with DEET - just thought it would be less of an inconvenience to treat the clothes once every couple of months.

Thanks for the feedback.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Zika
Old 07-30-2016, 07:29 AM   #54
Gone but not forgotten

Zika

While the coming election has kept the media busy, some "news" has ended up on page 2. This article about Zika in Puerto Rico is very scary. If the numbers are correct, this could easily surpass the older scares about HIV, the Mad Cow Disease, and the Bird Flu...
Definitely a heads up...

CDC: Zika could affect 10,000 pregnancies in Puerto Rico by year's end