Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Mother has to update Trust need input.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:48 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mother has to update Trust need input.

Our dear Dad passed away last week. We were hoping he was going to recover but he went down hill fast. We had a consultation an elder care attorney. They suggested to have dear Moms trust updated since it has been many years. Mom would like to keep the house in the family. I have three siblings oldest just turned 60 and three of us in mid 50s. One brother has been living in the house with parents for about 5 years. It has been good for him and parents to have each other around. Can a trust state that someone can stay in house when you pass and if that person decides to move then the house be sold and proceeds be divided? It's the bay area so very high cost of living. Brothers job is there so we would like him to be able to stay in home. He owns a home about three hours out of town he goes to on weekends.
2HOTinPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2019, 03:49 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, you can get a trust to say that I am pretty sure.
molly312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:49 PM   #3

Sorry for your loss. The trust can say anything at all. I would spell out who pays for utilities, HOA, property tax, upkeep, etc on the home after DM passes. Is it the trust, or the resident? Also, from my recent experiences, get a professional trustee. If one of the siblings is the trustee, disaster is close by. Hurt feelings, interpretations that are different, lack of action on items to be done, poor communication, lack of follow-thru, etc. can all cause problems. With a professional these are less likely - and if there is a problem it is easier to change the trustee.
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:41 PM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPascale View Post
Can a trust state that someone can stay in house when you pass and if that person decides to move then the house be sold and proceeds be divided?
Yes.

A good estate attorney can construct a trust to say just about anything.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:32 PM   #5

You are lucky having a Brother, living in the house, with your Mom. (and Dad). I'm sure he was a big help during the stressful times.

I've seen this happen so often. When Mom passes, the other siblings get "greedy". Why did the Brother get to live rent free, etc. Not appreciating, his being there was great for parents.

During upgrade of Trust, this unfortunate topic should be discussed. To avoid, future
problems.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
You are lucky having a Brother, living in the house, with your Mom. (and Dad). I'm sure he was a big help during the stressful times.

I've seen this happen so often. When Mom passes, the other siblings get "greedy". Why did the Brother get to live rent free, etc. Not appreciating, his being there was great for parents.

During upgrade of Trust, this unfortunate topic should be discussed. To avoid, future
problems.
Thanks for the input and reminder to appreciate it was great for my parents to have my brother there to bring a little of the outside world to them. He even set up an above ground pond in their backyard and dad took a liking to feeding the koi.
We were also fortunate that our other brother and his lovely wife were near by and shared the responsibility of looking out for parents.
2HOTinPHX is offline   Reply With Quote