Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-21-2007, 06:36 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Absolutely!! I am determined to find a house with an attached 2-car garage. Good - - then ice scraping won't be an issue.
That's what we did, and we love it for that reason. It's also great in the summer because the vehicles don't get heat-soaked in the sun. This is the first house we've had with a garage and we have decided that we will NEVER do without that again! Also I'm fussy about keeping them clean & waxed and a garage is a godsend. In the past the one sure way of ending a drought was to wax the car.

My original "retirement plan" was to put the snow thrower in the back of the pickup truck and drive south until people started asking what it was. But wife didn't want to go that far from family, and she was right. I've found that if you don't have to go out in it, the snow doesn't matter. So I'm tending towards Marion Barry's snow removal plan.

(After a severe snowstorm amid many complaints of snow not being cleared from streets, when asked by a reporter what his snow removal plan was, Barry, then mayor of Washington, D.C., said "Spring".)

I haven't been "quite right in the head" about winter since I rode a motorcycle all through one, not having money for a car, so I guess that explains it.<g>

The first winter after we retired there was a 2.5 foot snow fall, which is a lot for this area, and we basked in the novelty of not having to go out in it. Made a crock pot of beef stew. It was a week before we went farther than the mailbox.

I have cousins in Buffalo, NY, where they take their snow seriously. How does one cope with 7 FEET of it? They climb out the second-floor window so they can get the storm door open. At that depth I'd start to think about tunneling instead of shoveling!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2007, 06:46 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I remember last year seeing news clips of people in Buffalo who had to shovel snow off their roofs so they wouldn't collapse. Gotta love lake effect snow...NOT
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:53 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I've found that if you don't have to go out in it, the snow doesn't matter........when asked by a reporter what his snow removal plan was, Barry, then mayor of Washington, D.C., said "Spring"....

......we basked in the novelty of not having to go out in it. Made a crock pot of beef stew......
Same here, Walt. I may trek through the snow to go out to my workshop, but it's nice to know that I don't HAVE to go out in it if I don't WANT to! It's especially nice knowing I don't have to go out in the dark, at 5 in the morning to shovel the walks and clear of the cars, to go to w*rk!!!

Snow is no longer my master.....I'm it's master! I move it around IF & WHEN I want to! I've already missed out on 2 ocassions to shovel snow this season! The sun came out and removed it, before I got around to it!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:30 PM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a piece of equipment rented to a diamond mine that is 300 miles north of Yellowknife in the Northwest Territories. I needed to do an overnight there before heading home. I worked outside that day in -67 deg F and there was a slight wind on top of that. You see it on TV sometimes but I don't think one can appreciate how cold it can be on this planet until you spend a day in it. Gawd that was inhumane. We would work for about 10 or 15 min. then go sit in the truck for another 15 or so. (Had to remind myself not to lick the fence no matter how delicious the ice crystals looked.)

They don't shut off the pickup trucks all winter and everything creaks as you drive. There are no trees there, just rocks, a bit of snow, and a population of animals too stupid to migrate south. I'm thinking it would make a great place for a prison without walls or guards.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:10 AM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The lord felt sorry for the poor souls in Buffalo and sent an angel to help shovel. Deists had to shovel for themselves!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image0046.jpg (35.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-23-2007, 03:49 PM   #106
Full time employment: Posting here.

After 15 years of shoveling the snow on my very long double width driveway, in upstate NY, I came up with a nifty solution. I now park my car right at the bottom of the driveway, the rear of my car overhanging the sidewalk a bit. I just make a passage to the back door. Then there's just the steps and sidewalk, and the crud the city dumps from the street.

This last big storm my 75 year old neighbor came over with his snowblower to do the sidewalk and the city crud at my house after doing his.

Next time I'm going to ask him to show me how to do it and let me do it, cuz if anyone is going to drop dead it's not going to be him.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:15 AM   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
" I love all four seasons, and no weather keeps me inside for very long, though 115 degrees in Arizona would put me back in as more quickly than 8 below will."

Really?!? 115 degrees is hotter than i'd prefer but i'd take 115 every day of the year rather than 8 below for even one week.
The problem is that you get used to 115, 120, 125 so when it drops to the 60s, such as today, everyone is wearing quilted coats and sweaters. DW has the heat going, electric blanket and comforter on the bed.

My sister showed up from Wisconsin last month and had to unpack her shorts. We went to the Heard Museum and there were people wearing coats since it was only 70 out. I had long pants since it was chilly.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:18 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfpelican View Post
My answer to snow removal: Texas

Louisiana!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:27 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I remember last year seeing news clips of people in Buffalo who had to shovel snow off their roofs so they wouldn't collapse. Gotta love lake effect snow...NOT

Back in June this year, I was forced to go to Niagara Falls NY for a work-related class. First time ever in NY, and it sure looked different than I had expected. Really was beautiful with lots of water, greenery etc. Of course, I was nowhere near NYC and really didn't spend any time in Buffalo either except just to drive around the city once to say I'd been there. The small communities near Niagara Falls were great, with friendly people everywhere. I was thinking, man, I could live here! The one thing that did reverse that thought process was the large number of snow removal machines I spotted in people's yards. I figure there's a reason for all that stuff! I'll be making a return trip one of these days purely for a vacation, but there's no way I'd trade the balmy south for winter in any arctic like frigid chilly northern climate. Nice place to visit, but wouldn't wanna shovel snow there! Seriously, I love you folks "up there" but that's just too much damn snow!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:23 PM   #110
Full time employment: Posting here.

A few miles either way and you would be out of the snow belt.

Niagara Falls doesn't get near the snow that Buffalo does.

A long fetch over warm open Gt. Lakes water can set you up for impressive snow.

Buffalo and Rochester come to mind.

And us!
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote