Join Early Retirement Today

Moving snow
Old 12-04-2007, 10:36 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Moving snow

We got about 10 inches of snow the weekend and I worked maybe 5 hours to remove it all. It took me 40 minutes to shovel the front steps and walk because of a big drift. The rest of the time was spent operating the monster snow blower.

I just heard that a lawyer I know, who is my age, died of a heart attack while snow blowing this weekend.

Any tips to minimize risks beside having someone else do the work?

For shoveling, I use a very light weight plastic shovel. I take small "bites". I push when I can, rather than lift. However, there is enough snow on the ground now that lifting is a necessity.

The snowblower is self propelled on tracks, but it is big and a lot of muscling around is required.

It is snowing hard again. I am thinking about having a tenant (who is a weight lifter) help this time around.

EDIT: I just read the forecast for this storm-- one to ten inches accumulation. Huh! Talk about a lack of confidence in a forecast. Given we are right by the big lake, it will probably be 12 inches.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

My answer to snow removal: Texas
Old 12-04-2007, 11:37 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
I just heard that a lawyer I know, who is my age, died of a heart attack while snow blowing this weekend.

Any tips to minimize risks beside having someone else do the work?
Something I read: don't start shoveling immediately after going outside. Take a few minutes to breathe the cold air.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
It is snowing hard again. I am thinking about having a tenant (who is a weight lifter) help this time around.
I believe this will be your best bet. BF does his neighbor's driveways/steps when it's time....also get to know your neighbors (bake cookies (if this is your thing), etc for thank you gifts)
Old 12-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Different shovels for different tasks. There are wider "plow blade" type shovels for pushing, and scoop type when you have to scoop. If you get enough snow (are you the one near Duluth? I think that would qualify!), it's worth investing in a couple different types.

Your shovel isn't so lightweight that it's flimsy, is it? I'm not sure of the physics, but it seems like a flimsy blade and/or handle can feel unbalanced and cause more stress on your arms. I have a nice graphite one seems to stay steady even if I overload it.

The "small bite" method is good. Time consuming, but safer than lifting a huge wet chunk. Make sure you are getting your whole body into it, not just your arms.

It's probably too late now, but some strength training before the season would help. Every year as we get older, we lose muscle. If you're not in shape for lifting, it can be dangerous. I think this is the #1 problem. A coach potato who gets out there with no exercise in the last two months and really exerts themselves shovelling a big wet snow is asking for trouble. I don't know what lifting would be best, I haven't done much weight training, though it's in my future.

Take breaks, and STAY HYDRATED. Spread it out over two or three days if you have to, especially if a thaw/freeze isn't predicted.

It is hilly? Push and throw everything downhill as much as possible, even if it means you have to walk back uphill for every row you do. Gravity is your friend.

Hire someone, or trade a dinner or a 6 pack for a neighbor or tenant to do it. I actually like shovelling snow. If I find out a neighbor doesn't like it or know they would struggle, often I'll just do it, but a small reward makes me much more likely to help.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:22 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Why does everyone up nawth shovel all that snow anyway. Why don't you embed heating strips in the concrete?
Old 12-04-2007, 01:14 PM   #7

Back during my w*rking years (TGIF...Thank God I'm FIRE'd) if we got a large or 'wet' snowfall, I would shovel from the front door out to, and around the cars before I went to w*rk. I'd come home at lunch time (only 2 miles away and a company truck) and shovel from the front door around to the back door. Then when I came home after w*rk, I'd shovel the patio and the sidewalk back to the workshop. Each shoveling expedition averaged about 10-15 minutes.

If it was a light snowfall, say 2-4", I'd usually just do it all at one time.....usually before I headed out to w*rk.

I do take breaks, sit on the glider on the patio, sip beverages, and watch the birdies flutter around too!

My plan now is to do about the same thing, however I won't even think about starting the expedition until mid to late morning, and plan on the 3rd expedition being complete by mid-afternoon....in time for a siesta!

I have a couple different style snow shovels....pushers & scoopers, and a nice lightweight TORO 16" 2-stroke, single-stage snowblower. It's light enough that I can pick it up with one hand and set it on top of a snow drift, and let IT work it's way to the bottom. It's similar to this one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TORO Powerlite snowblower.jpg (18.9 KB, 224 views)
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I fantasize about one day living far enough south that a single stage snow blower would make sense.

My two stage Honda:

Hey, Martha - Remember This Thread...
Old 12-04-2007, 01:30 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey, Martha - Remember This Thread...

...from last winter? (http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...vel-25547.html) This thing looks crazy, but it works. I'm not sure if I can use it anytime soon, since I had my hip replaced about a month ago - but the kids can try . We aren't really expecting any significant snows around the Pittsburgh area in the near future - just 1 to 3 inches of lake-effect snow tomorrow.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:51 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

While I have a 10hp 2 stage which works well for me. It is noisy/ heavy and requires gas/oil. This my second one, the first one was a 5hp and broke due to the straine of a big storm. I would recommend an electric snow thrower - here is a link to the Toro one - get the largest one. Toro - Homeowner Snowthrowers

Their light, quiet and require almost no maintenace. I addition you can buy re-furbished ones, which include a warrenty, and about a 30% discount. Make sure that you buy a good 100' electric cord. If your driveway/paths are larger then that go to a gas powered one. Or enjoy your self and hire a plow service.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:53 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I fantasize about one day living far enough south that a single stage snow blower would make sense.

My two stage Honda:
This looks like something that should only be operated by the state highway department.

Ha
Old 12-04-2007, 02:05 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmorton View Post
...from last winter? (http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...vel-25547.html) This thing looks crazy, but it works. I'm not sure if I can use it anytime soon, since I had my hip replaced about a month ago - but the kids can try . We aren't really expecting any significant snows around the Pittsburgh area in the near future - just 1 to 3 inches of lake-effect snow tomorrow.
I went to the website. Really cool!

I ordered the one with the tall redhead attached to the handles.

Ha
Old 12-04-2007, 02:38 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

The reasons that show throwing seems to bring on so many heart attacks (and I'm not really sure this is the case compared to other unaccustomed strenuous activities) may be:

1. Strenuous, unaccustomed, lots of bearing down (may decrease blood flow to the thorax)
2. Cold air causes blood vessels to constrict in the skin, making it harder for the heart to pump (higher resistance)
3. Dehydration underneath all those jackets, sweaters, etc.
4. BP goes up with really loud noise.

It's really not a healthy thing to do. Still, if you don't have underlying coronary disease, it shouldn't really increase the risk of a heart attack, just precipitates it now versus later.

I feel you should look at it just as you would running a mile in cold weather: if you haven't been doing it routinely there is some risk.

One of my least favorite parts about snow was having to get up 45 minutes early for w*rk, shoveling, coming in and getting ready, finding another half-inch of accumulation which I either had to shovel again or run over with my car, thereaby assuring its enduring icey presence for weeks or months more. Don't miss that part.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:48 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Rich,

Is the cold mainly the culprit? Lately I have been doing more activities that require anerobic bursts. I feel fine and seem to have the base conditioning for it, but it really puts the pedal to the metal.

In the past if I really went at it repeatedly my legs would be shot the next morning. Lately it is as if I had not been doing anything out of the ordinary; legs feel totally normal

I've basically thought it was probably healthy, and I am always well warmed up prior. Do you believe it is basiacally ok for older but fit people to hit it sometimes?

Ha
Old 12-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I don't like that "bearing down" part. I have to do that a lot with the snow blower.

My weight lifter tenant is going to help. I am going out to shovel the first load now. That I can do without straining myself.

But if I don't come back, bye!

Old 12-04-2007, 03:52 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I think that it's all about your prior conditioning. But it's hard to compare routinely jogging 3 miles with a 30-45 minute burst of 4-limb aerobic activity in the cold.

No science to suppor this (I doubt it is knowable) but if you anticipate snow-throwing type activity (even digging trenches would be similar), you should include both interval training (with some high intensity) and upper body multi-rep training as part of the plan. I think you're on the right track.

Or just take it slow and easy and check your pulse one in a while. Exertion in extreme heat and humidity is probably even more dangerous for most people. The bottom line is not to do anything you're not conditioned to do without a gradual build-up. I'm a big believer is heart rate monitoring as a guideline to aerobic conditioning.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This looks like something that should only be operated by the state highway department.

Ha
Looks like something Clark Griswold would have!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:47 PM   #18

Last year I dropped off my snow blower at my DS's house and moved to Fla. That was a good day.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:01 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Greater Kansas City - got me the old wood handled plastic snow shovel - Lowes I think.

Even at two years out of New Orleans - it is fun - no really big ones(snow storms) yet. The old timers say I'd sing a different tune if I'd been here in the 1970's.

The Golden Retriever thinks snow is the greatest thing since sliced bread - or at least swimming in Lake Ponchartrain.

If we ever got snow in New Orleans - people went nuts - got their video cams out and made the kids quick make snowmen before it melted.

heh heh heh - it will wear off.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:50 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Make sure you are in good shape.

I'm 64, kept the same weight all my adult life, and use common sense.

We just had another big dump in London and I did 3 walks/driveways. Easy cash.

We are in a snowbelt and expect this every year.

I think Khan might be a little south of the Lake Erie one but we get Lake Huron with a vengeance here.

I handbomb them and make sure they can all be done in < than an hour.

Basically you don't go all out and do a rush job. I'm retired and go for a few minutes and rest for a minute. Never had a problem.

If you are a fat smoker, call me and I'll come over and do a good job for you.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote