Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2007, 05:51 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
My weight lifter tenant is going to help.
So what are the liability issues involved if the tenant has a heart attack, blows out his back or gets partially eaten by your snowblower?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2007, 06:52 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
So what are the liability issues involved if the tenant has a heart attack, blows out his back or gets partially eaten by your snowblower?
I don't care! I admit it! I am DONE blowing snow. He is out there right now. He is much faster at this than I am and he uses good ergonomics.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:00 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Awww...the snowman is frowning...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Old 12-04-2007, 08:38 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I don't care! I admit it! I am DONE blowing snow. He is out there right now. He is much faster at this than I am and he uses good ergonomics.
Lesson 1: always weigh more than your snow thrower.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:50 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't worry about my heart while shoveling snow... but my back, that's a problem. Last time I shoveled snow, a couple of years ago, halfway through I picked up a shovelfull and within 5 seconds was flat on my back from the back pain. I crawled back in the house, rested for a week, and haven't shoveled snow or anything else since. I have a history of a bad back, and realize there are good and bad ways of lifting, with the knees instead of the back, etc. But snow shoveling is particularly difficult to do do that with, the natural motion is one of using the back instead of the knees as one throws the snow.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:12 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
No science to suppor this (I doubt it is knowable) but if you anticipate snow-throwing type activity (even digging trenches would be similar), you should include both interval training (with some high intensity) and upper body multi-rep training as part of the plan. I think you're on the right track.
Thanks Rich.

Ha
Old 12-04-2007, 11:24 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

While I'm probably a candidate for suffering the "big one" while moving snow, my real worry is my left knee. A lifelong problem, it required surgery after I injured it going down a river bank (North Fork River, Arkansas) carrying two fly rods and helping DW.

Now, seven years post surgery, it's extremely sensitive to being bent forward, as in when my left foot slips and moves ahead of the rest of me.

Winter before last, while running the snow blower down our sloped driveway, my left foot slipped ahead, god-awful pain hit my left knee, and down I went. The pain from my knee was so terrific I didn't even feel myself hit the icey asphalt. I'm laying there gasping and wondering what to do next when I noticed the racket from the snow blower was getting louder. You guessed it......... that frickin' thing had swiveled around and was coming back at me! Yeah, I managed to roll out of the way. But, in those 2 or 3 seconds it took, I contemplated all the crazy, dangerous things I've done in my life and how dieing by snowblower in my driveway was going to be a pathetic way to go...... And only months before RE!

Bought my son a new Toro snowblower Saturday and dropped it off a few hours ago. Unlike my old beast, it has a safety lever you have to keep engaged for the blades and auger to turn. If you let go, it stops. Normally, I'd consider this kind of OHSA crap unneeded and just another thing to break. Not now. Looked like a pretty good feature to me!

Be careful Martha!
Old 12-04-2007, 11:41 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Wow, what a story. From long time observation of friends, their parents, church members etc I have come to believe that a suburban or rural lifestyle that involves upkeep and maintenance should have an actuarially determined price added to it. There are many dangers, and many people are injured doing these routine chores. Permanently injured too often.

As an example a chain saw is a hard to use tool that is treacherous in the hands of a professional, let alone a homeowner. Then there are ladders, roofs, tree trimming, etc., etc.

I am happy to bid all that stuff adieu.

Ha
Old 12-05-2007, 12:38 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am happy to bid all that stuff adieu.
And I'm following right along behind you.......

Among the things I no longer can/will do:

Climb towers to do antenna work (to support ham radio hobby).
Work under my car while it's on jack stands or even ramps.
Do strenous work alone (tough on DW who has to hang around watching).
Swim long distances alone.
Run rapids.
Etc.

And this may be the last year for moving snow myself........ Probably shouldn't even do it this year, but since I already tuned up the snow blower.......
Old 12-05-2007, 06:10 AM   #31
gone traveling

Cold Snow Heavy weight of the snow being well out of shape, As Rich said would you run a mile in 20 degrees if you have not done it most of your life? Its a risk. GO SLOW!

I always loved snow shoveling, but alas I am away from the snow, except for the odd snows in NC. But hey it never even rains here anymore!!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:41 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
that frickin' thing had swiveled around and was coming back at me! Yeah, I managed to roll out of the way. But, in those 2 or 3 seconds it took, I contemplated all the crazy, dangerous things I've done in my life and how dieing by snowblower in my driveway was going to be a pathetic way to go..
Youbet, what a story!

The snow has stopped. Bob did a beautiful job of snow blowing and I stuck to the shovel. I don't mind the shoveling at all, but I agree with Rich, snow blowers shouldn't weigh more and be bigger than you are.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:56 AM   #33
Gone but not forgotten

Besides heart attacks ,winter is a great time for fractures especially wrist fractures .People routinelly put out their hand to stop their fall on a slippery road and fracture their wrist . It's also a big fractured hip time . Winter a real bonus for Cardiologists and Orthopods !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:18 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

If you have sticky snow, spray your shovel with Pam or some other cooking spray. At least you won't have to lift the same snow twice. Also works great on the bottom of your sled or toboggan.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:37 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Winter before last, while running the snow blower down our sloped driveway, my left foot slipped ahead, god-awful pain hit my left knee, and down I went. The pain from my knee was so terrific I didn't even feel myself hit the icey asphalt. I'm laying there gasping and wondering what to do next when I noticed the racket from the snow blower was getting louder. You guessed it......... that frickin' thing had swiveled around and was coming back at me! Yeah, I managed to roll out of the way. But, in those 2 or 3 seconds it took, I contemplated all the crazy, dangerous things I've done in my life and how dieing by snowblower in my driveway was going to be a pathetic way to go...... And only months before RE!
Was that evil snowblower's name Christine?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:38 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How much snow did you get? We got 5 inches, and the plow made it 18 inches at the end of the driveway.................

Old 12-05-2007, 08:54 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Oh well think positive - my old stomping grounds in SW Washington are underwater - the I-5 closure made the news out here.

Only have one relative(Aunt) on the hill in Kalama overlooking a dry? part of the freeway.

I take snow to sandbags anyday - I remember late one Christmas Eve home from college - sandbagging the Coweeman River in the freezing rain.

when you are ER'd you get to shovel on your time - not the snow's time.

heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:15 AM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Leave the snow where it is and move yourself south.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:19 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have one of these with a plow attachment.

Mike D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bobcat632.jpg (3.5 KB, 85 views)
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:24 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I have one of these with a plow attachment.

Mike D.
SWEET!!!!