Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-10-2007, 08:10 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
This is very important. DO have a backup supply of your vices! You don't want to consider going out in bad weather because you ran out of soft drinks/caffeine/alcohol/nicotine...
Thanks! That's something I had not thought of. I don't drink or smoke, or drink soft drinks. But I do enjoy one cup of coffee in the morning! So, I'll be sure to have an extra can of coffee in the pantry, in case I am snowed in. Actually, I do that already because I hate to run out.

Maybe by that time I will have been able to "kick the habit". I have been using half decaf in an attempt to wean myself off of it. So far, no luck in that endeavor.

Also, Frank has no problems driving in snow, so as a backup plan I could ask him to drive me somewhere to get supplies, or, I could call a cab.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2007, 12:48 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

W2R, I think the bigger issue in Missouri are ice storms and corresponding power outages. Watching the news it sure looks like Olklahoma and large parts of middle America are getting hit with the latest ice storm. About 250,000 are without power in Oklahoma. We don't get those big ice storms here, it is just too cold, but they seem common down there. Dangerous falling branches and powerlines. Can't walk or drive (the 4WD doesn't help).

If I lived in that part of the country I would get a generator for back up power.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:39 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Your car sounds like a good candidate for a remote starter! I've had them installed in the last few cars we've owned. I push the button, and the car fires up! I leave the defroster turned to 'on' and the fan set to about '3'. It melts the ice and snow off the windows in no time flat, and the car is nice and toasty when I climb in. It's also nice in the summer with the A/C!!!

There's a built in, pre-set timer on them so they will only run for 20 minutes...in case you forget about it....which I have a time or 2. Also, you don't have to worry about theft because if someone tries to put it in gear, or they press the brake pedal, the engine shuts off immediately. They are NICE!!!
Any car guys in here? I heard that it hurts the engine to start it with the heat or air already turned on. Anyone confirm that?
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:41 PM   #64
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Any car guys in here? I heard that it hurts the engine to start it with the heat or air already turned on. Anyone confirm that?
I think that's one of those things that was true 20 or 30 years ago; newer cars are designed not to have problems with such.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:51 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

We discussed the Wovel here, right?

Hey that was my local news! Just a side note, the female anchor sued her previous station for age discrimination and won a multi million dollar settlement . She Er'd soon after and I don't think worries about doing snow .
Old 12-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
W2R, I think the bigger issue in Missouri are ice storms and corresponding power outages. Watching the news it sure looks like Olklahoma and large parts of middle America are getting hit with the latest ice storm. About 250,000 are without power in Oklahoma. We don't get those big ice storms here, it is just too cold, but they seem common down there. Dangerous falling branches and powerlines. Can't walk or drive (the 4WD doesn't help).

If I lived in that part of the country I would get a generator for back up power.
Thanks, Martha. Frank is planning to get a propane generator for his house when we move there. I will probably play it by ear; maybe just keeping the water dripping will protect the plumbing, though I have no idea. I could always light a fire in the fireplace (or go over to his place) to stay warm, assuming it is cold due to electrical failures affecting the electrical fans that distribute the (usually natural gas) heat throughout the house. But maybe I will need a propane generator as well.

I have so much to learn about living in cold weather! I saved the link that somebody posted here for the metal things you put on the bottoms of your shoes with "teeth" to keep you from slipping on ice. And, I have been reading all the snowblower/snowshovel threads as well.

I do not want to drive on ice, especially. So, the big fully stocked pantry could come in handy for ice storms, too. I don't even want to walk on ice, and won't unless I need to (and then, only with the thingies on my shoes).

I have been keeping in touch with people in southern Missouri on the City data forum, and they said yesterday that they didn't have any ice yet because it was a little too warm so it was only down to central Missouri. Maybe today they will post differently. Sure sounds like it. I am picking their brains about how to cope with the weather up there, too.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:03 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Sure sounds like it. I am picking their brains about how to cope with the weather up there, too.
The most effective way to cope with weather in Missouri would be to stay in Louisiana.

Are you leaving New Orleans because the hurricane convinced you that you don't ever want to try that again? The monetary costs alone of you and your BF pulling up stakes and moving will be considerable, not to mention the personal and social costs. Didn't you say that you have been there a long time, and that he is a native?

Wouldn't it be less traumatic to go north just a bit, out of the full force of hurricane pathways- maybe to Lafayette, or Baton Rouge? You would still have Southern Louisiana culture, no snow, no expensive crap like generators to buy and maintain. I lived for years in an exposed area where my power sometimes went down 20 or more times a year. In fact, 2006 was the last straw, never again.

This stuff is a little bit of fun and a challenge when you are 20, 30, and even 40. But north of 40 I don’t see the attraction. Maybe would be worth it if someone left you a million dollars contingent on you living for 5 years in Missouri. I have read a good many of your posts, and I still can’t figure out the “why” of this plan.

Once years ago I was returning from a harvest time trip to my farm. I got to chatting with a young woman in Sea-Tac, while we waited late at night for a bus. I had a plan to move my family down there, for various reasons that I thought made sense. Finally after talking a while she said, “I really don’t think you want to do this. Maybe you should reconsider?”

That was all it took. By the time I got home I had decided to sell out down there and stay put.

Ha
Old 12-10-2007, 05:06 PM   #68
Gone but not forgotten

[quote=Want2retire;586590y thoughts/dreams about how I will handle the snow are that I could just shovel a path to the mailbox and leave it at that! If my house has no sidewalk, I can't think of why I would need to shovel any more than that. I don't intend to drive in the snow anyway (since I don't know how).

[/quote]

Even if you are not going anywhere you still should shovel your car out because you could have an ice storm on top of the snow storm and a real mess to handle .Plus sometimes it doesn't melt for weeks if it is really cold .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think that's one of those things that was true 20 or 30 years ago; newer cars are designed not to have problems with such.
Correct. When you turn the key to the start position, all the electrical accessories are temporarily shut off. When it springs back to the run position they are reconnected. A remote starter works the same way.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:06 PM   #70

Quote:
I plan to keep a very full pantry and to have some gym equipment so that probably I would have no reason to leave until the snow has melted. I hope I'm not being unrealistic. I am also planning to live within walking distance of various stores and commerce if possible.
Quote:
This is very important. DO have a backup supply of your vices! You don't want to consider going out in bad weather because you ran out of soft drinks/caffeine/alcohol/nicotine...
Quote:
But I do enjoy one cup of coffee in the morning! So, I'll be sure to have an extra can of coffee in the pantry, in case I am snowed in.
That's what we do here! The cupboards are full, the freezer is loaded, the fridge is well stocked, and we keep extra coffee and tea stored up, too. Also, if you don't use a lot of coffee, you can keep out enough for a week or so, and put the rest in a zip-lock and toss it in the freezer and it'll stay fresh for quite a while. In fact, last night when I was defrosting the freezer, I found a bag of coffee that I tossed in there in early summer....brewed some up today and it tastes as good as when I opened the can!

We have enough food and drink on hand to last us for weeks!

And don't forget to stock pile some toilet paper, kleenex, and paper towels.....but esp. T.P.!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
W2R, I think the bigger issue in Missouri are ice storms and corresponding power outages.........If I lived in that part of the country I would get a generator for back up power.
We've had a portable generator for a looooong time, just for that very reason! The only thing worse than your power going out, is your power going out in the winter! Brrrrrr! We can run the furnace, fridge, freezer, TV, and a few lights with ours.....oh yeah...and the 'puter!

Quote:
I don't even want to walk on ice, and won't unless I need to (and then, only with the thingies on my shoes).
About 20 years ago, I took a pair of my heavy steel-toe work boots to the local cobbler, and had him put golf spikes on them. Originally for working on damp, slick hillsides cutting weeds & trees, but then I found they worked great on ice too! Foooooore!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I have read a good many of your posts, and I still can’t figure out the “why” of this plan.
The reason that I don't talk here about my motivations for moving, is that I do not want to be what many people might perceive to be a whining, spineless Louisianian wanting the world handed to them on a silver platter. If I don't like it, I will just quietly move away. I do have my pride.

But you did ask.

I want to retire to a town with minimal crime and corruption, real, working infrastructure, extremely cheap housing and low cost of living, and adequate or at least minimal medical care available. I want to retire to a town where, with a near perfect FICO and payment record, I can buy insurance. I want to live at least 200 miles inland, where hurricane damage is not an issue.

I guess I am overly fragile. I just don't want to live in these ruins any longer. It's one thing to come here as a tourist, to the French Quarter where nothing was damaged, and gape at the wreckage on a devastation tour. It's quite another thing to live here day after day. Even though a few things are being rebuilt, every day I still see and remember all that I saw and felt here the week of the storm.

After ER, I have a CHOICE - - and in my opinion, the healthy choice for me is to make a clean break.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:11 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, W. That really makes sense. I'm not sure I ever heard it phrased to well. I can totally understand why you feel it's time to move on and put that chapter behind you.

Of course the trials and tribulations of life will go on, and every relocation has its risks and potential. It did seem like a drastic change when I read about your plans, but I think I can understand your motivation. And, hey, if SW Missouri doesn't work out you can go wherever the heck you want.

All the best. I have a feeling it will work well for you. Good place to heal wounds and rebuild a sense of belonging and permanence.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:13 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Rich. I didn't think anyone would "get it", but you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Even if you are not going anywhere you still should shovel your car out because you could have an ice storm on top of the snow storm and a real mess to handle .Plus sometimes it doesn't melt for weeks if it is really cold .
It would be really nice if I could find a home close to businesses, so that I can walk there if necessary. I am sure that after being housebound for two or three weeks, it would get old. I have heard of people using salt, sand, and/or kitty litter on ice if they really need to go someplace; is that feasible? If not, then I would have to just walk somewhere, stay home, or call a cab.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
And don't forget to stock pile some toilet paper, kleenex, and paper towels.....but esp. T.P.!!
Good idea! I never would have thought of that.

Quote:
We've had a portable generator for a looooong time, just for that very reason! The only thing worse than your power going out, is your power going out in the winter! Brrrrrr! We can run the furnace, fridge, freezer, TV, and a few lights with ours.....oh yeah...and the 'puter!
That's amazing! Must be quite a generator. That is really all that a person would need.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:27 PM   #75
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Want2, I've often wondered about what it must be like to be a resident of post-Katrina NO. Thanks for the insight. Sounds to me like a move to MO might be just what the doctor ordered...
Old 12-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Want2, I've often wondered about what it must be like to be a resident of post-Katrina NO. Thanks for the insight. Sounds to me like a move to MO might be just what the doctor ordered...
Thanks. I think you're right!

Now, all I've got to do is tough it out for 698 more days, at which time I will be free of my "golden handcuffs" since I will finally qualify for lifetime medical. Then, I can leave. Staying here has probably been the hardest thing I have ever done, and leaving here will probably be second hardest.

Like Rich said, if I don't like it, I can always move someplace else.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:14 PM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
You know reading this thread makes me think I missing out on some of life's finer moments. NOT

Move to the east coast for a couple of years. Learned my lesson. There are some really good reasons why real estate prices are high in HI and CA.

MB
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:42 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

It would be really nice if I could find a home close to businesses, so that I can walk there if necessary. I am sure that after being housebound for two or three weeks, it would get old. I have heard of people using salt, sand, and/or kitty litter on ice if they really need to go someplace; is that feasible? If not, then I would have to just walk somewhere, stay home, or call a cab.
Do you plan to get a garage? That will eliminate the ice scraping overnight.

You can use salt or chemical ice melter on your driveway if it's too icy to shovel. Don't use it on 6 inches of snow. In all but the rarest occasions the streets should be plowed clear within a day or two. The biggest problem will clearing the end of your driveway where the plow leaves a pile. Cat litter or sand are good to carry in your trunk in winter in case you get stuck, so you can put them under your drive wheels for traction. I also carry a small shovel.

You can drive mid day when the streets are just wet, but overnight it can freeze back over, so the days after a big storm try to avoid early morning and evening driving, until you learn to handle it better. In the next 30 years you may get snowbound for 2 weeks once, I'll bet. Check back with me in 2037 and let me know if I'm right.

I think you stated your case well for leaving New Orleans.

I get tired of hearing the "move to florida" advice whenever someone mentions snow in a bad way. At least if I get snowed in, I'm in my own home and have my own bed. I wouldn't want to have to be ready to pack my valuables every time a storm brews off the coast of Africa, and maybe even have to evacuate now and then. I love all four seasons, and no weather keeps me inside for very long, though 115 degrees in Arizona would put me back in as more quickly than 8 below will.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:12 PM   #79

Quote:
That's amazing! Must be quite a generator. That is really all that a person would need.
It can handle ~46amps continuous, and ~70amps peak, so it'll run what we need to power up. It'll run about 13-14 hours on 1 tank of gas, and I keep enough gas on hand for at least 2 fill-ups, enough for 24+ hours continuous operation, or several days if only run occasionally. If I need more gas, the roads should be clear enough by that time to venture out and refill, even if I have to drive to the next town. We have hot water heat with a natural gas furnace, and the circulating pump is rated at a measly 0.75amps! So we have ~45amps leftover for the rest of the stuff.

If worst come to worst, I also have a portable kerosene (Kero-Sun) heater out in the workshop that I can bring in to warm up the house.....with a window cracked open to vent the fumes.

And to make a little cash on the side, I can rent out my old generator (now my spare) to the neighbors.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:26 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I understand too. Thanks for the eloquent answer.

Ha