Join Early Retirement Today

mRNA in our future
Old 04-13-2021, 12:04 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

mRNA in our future

Below is a great article written by Peter Attia about mRNA technology, how it came to be, why it worked so well with corona virus, its limits, and possible future discoveries. This is definitely geeky stuff, so YMMV.

https://peterattiamd.com/mrna-technology/

Quote:
First, as much as mRNA vaccine technology may seem like brand-spanking-new, cutting-edge innovation that appeared out of nowhere, it is neither uncharted nor untested technology. Possibilities for synthetic mRNA have been the focus of decades-long scientific research.
Quote:
To me, the current success of mRNA technology in COVID-19 vaccines calls into question what scientific “failure” actually means. It is a truism by now, but given how success is made possible by understanding how something doesn’t work, prior failings may be more aptly referred to as the ruling out of possibilities. Even if it didn’t hit the bullseye, what didn’t work got a process down the road a bit closer to potential success.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2021, 02:05 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting. Until recently I didn't know about the 2p mutation for the spike protein. Fascinating science https://cen.acs.org/pharmaceuticals/...OVID-19/98/i38
RetMD21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetMD21 View Post
Interesting. Until recently I didn't know about the 2p mutation for the spike protein. Fascinating science https://cen.acs.org/pharmaceuticals/...OVID-19/98/i38
Well now, 2p or not 2p, that is the question!
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:28 AM   #4

Posted this link in another vaccine thread, mRNA has an exciting future now that tons of money is being thrown at vaccines.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-world/618431/
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:57 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
To me, the current success of mRNA technology in COVID-19 vaccines calls into question what scientific “failure” actually means. It is a truism by now, but given how success is made possible by understanding how something doesn’t work, prior failings may be more aptly referred to as the ruling out of possibilities. Even if it didn’t hit the bullseye, what didn’t work got a process down the road a bit closer to potential success.
Close Quote:

Heh, heh, I tried that one years ago on DW (I think it might have been when I got bleach spots on a favorite blouse - or maybe it was charing a meat loaf because I wasn't familiar with the new oven.) She didn't buy it then and probably wouldn't now, but YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:00 PM   #6
Administrator

One can learn much from failure. Most of the stuff I know really well is due to the fact that I screwed it up the first time I tried it, and did not care to repeat the experience.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:42 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I spent majority of my time in the graduate school extracting DNA and modify the protocols and settings for optimization. There was several weeks I also did the RNA extraction and cDNA conversion for RT-PCR (the amplification step before the RNA based COVID test, arguably the most accurate method that also has the longest turnaround time). The only comment I have about the RNA is they are fragile as hell. If anyone invents a biochemical method to stabilize RNA sequence, or some sort of reagent that can form covalent or strong hydrogen bonds with RNA in vitro and break the bonds without destroying RNA on demand, it would help the RNA community tremendously.

With the low temperature requirement for transporting and storing RNA based covid vaccines, I wonder the percentage of the freezers that became the culprit destroying the vaccines with their defrost cycle feature.
teetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:21 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetee View Post
I spent majority of my time in the graduate school extracting DNA and modify the protocols and settings for optimization. There was several weeks I also did the RNA extraction and cDNA conversion for RT-PCR (the amplification step before the RNA based COVID test, arguably the most accurate method that also has the longest turnaround time). The only comment I have about the RNA is they are fragile as hell. If anyone invents a biochemical method to stabilize RNA sequence, or some sort of reagent that can form covalent or strong hydrogen bonds with RNA in vitro and break the bonds without destroying RNA on demand, it would help the RNA community tremendously.

With the low temperature requirement for transporting and storing RNA based covid vaccines, I wonder the percentage of the freezers that became the culprit destroying the vaccines with their defrost cycle feature.
I've been thinking about this from my electrical engineering background using the analogy of the invention of the transistor.

For years, the vacuum tube existed, and worked. Modern electronics like radios, radars and even early computers used them. But they were huge, burned massive power, created heat and had reliability issues.

Then right after WWII, the transistor was invented. The first transistor experiment was "chunky," yet other researchers saw the promise.

It took nearly a decade before everyone had little transistor radios they could bring to the beach. All you needed was a 9v battery. It took a few more decades before we had "microchips" so you could stream music at the beach.

I'm wondering if mRNA is going to follow a similar path? We'll see. I thought the section in the article above about samRNA was interesting! I see it as kind of the transition from discreet transistors to chips.

In any case, after years of slow languishing, this mRNA technology now has the attention of many researchers. Hopefully they will continue to address the issues teetee brings up, and others. I expect a lot of activity which may or may not advance the science significantly. Time will tell.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetee View Post

Standard residential fridge/freezer combinations have an automatic defrost cycle, but standalone freezers (upright or chest) normally have to be manually defrosted.

Similarly, I doubt any ultra-low-temperature freezer rated for mRNA-based COVID-19 vaccines automatically defrosts.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:37 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”

- Thomas Edison

and then he did find one way that worked !

Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mrna attia