Music During Exercise?

SunnyOne

Recycles dryer sheets
I've started walking, sometimes jogging, around a track for exercise.

I'd like to have music to accompany my exercise.

What kind of portable player would you recommend that would not be obtrusive?

I was looking at clip-on music players that I could easily use and pair with bluetooth for a wireless experience - no cords, no heavy weight devices - but they seem to be MP3 oriented. It's been a while since I've gotten out my MP3 files, I have mostly been listening to streaming - but I remain open to anything - the point is that music motivates me to exercise longer and more effectively.

THANKS

iPod Shuffle - been discontinued for some time, but still available on eBay for about $40. Alternatively, you can get one of these from Walmart, which is similar form factor (maybe 2 inches x 2 inches at most) and only costs $11 - add your own micro SD card of any size:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mini-Shuffling-MP3-Player-with-USB-Cable-and-Headphones/209253007

This is a more expensive option, but may be more of what you're looking for:

https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Spotify-Music-Player-Gully/dp/B07KJZJG7H

Last edited:
Many streaming services allow you to download tracks, albums, and playlists to listen to offline on your 'phone. I do this with my Tidal subscription.

-BB

I use an old iPhone, download podcasts and listen to them while exercising.

I have never liked running with a phone - too bulky (and I think the OP is female) so those armband phone holders don't fit well, kept slipping, and made me feel off balance.

A lot of leggings and some biking/compression style shorts will come with a phone pocket that might be more comfortable.

Personally I'd drop the track and map out some local routes - neighborhoods, parks, trails, etc., where the scenery is enough motivation.

If you Google mp3 player for running I'm sure you'll get plenty of ideas. If you want to stream, you'll have to pay a subscription. Load it up with music that you like, and different playlists. I walks mostly and listen to podcasts.

Good device ideas above.
On the music side, if you have Streaming, some services have playlists of music which is all the same beat.
For example, Spotify has playlists where all the songs are 135bpm all the way up to 190bpm.

I can't help much because the device I like best plays mp3s and uses corded headphones.

I'd suggest finding a small waist pack of some kind to put your phone in. Especially if you get off the track, which I agree with, it's probably a good idea to have your phone anyway. Look for a pack made for running, so it doesn't bounce. Some come with a water bottle which would be handy for summer or longer distances.

The Apple watch with the cellular option plus AirPods and Apple Music fits the bill.

I like something like the PowerBeats Pro earphones since they clip over my ears. They NEVER fall off.

Last edited:
I run and bike listening to my iPhone. Phone in my shorts/pants pocket running. Handlebars holder for the phone on my bike.

Watch YouTube videos while lifting weights. No music/sound while hiking.

I need a better solution for running though. Phone bounces around too much

I just use my phone. We have an amazon music subscription on top of the prime subscription. It ends up being $10/mo and we use it all the time. I’ve set up a bunch of downloaded playlists, but will also just stream from their music channels. If you don’t want to use your phone, an Apple Watch or old iPod will work.

I use a Spibelt to hold my iPhone with podcast, music or audiobooks playing and have wireless earbuds with ear hooks. I only use one earbud and tuck the other in my shirt so that I can hear cars.

My setup is the Apple Watch with downloaded podcasts and music, paired with AirPods. I use both AirPods if walking with no traffic, or one AirPod while biking or walking where I need to be more aware of my surroundings.

When I ran with my phone I carried it in a Running Buddy which worked very well. Its a magnetic pouch that clasps to your shorts and did not bounce at all.

I've now upgraded to a Garmin Vivoactive 3 +Music watch. I can download up to 500 songs, podcasts, etc. from several different paid subscription services. I use Spotify. Garmin sells several watches that allow music downloads.

Crazy question- wondering about these watches, whether they get really sweaty under those bands, usually wide and silicone-like. I know, I know....

When I ran with my phone I carried it in a Running Buddy which worked very well. Its a magnetic pouch that clasps to your shorts and did not bounce at all.

I've now upgraded to a Garmin Vivoactive 3 +Music watch. I can download up to 500 songs, podcasts, etc. from several different paid subscription services. I use Spotify. Garmin sells several watches that allow music downloads.

I'd like to leave the phone at home and just play music from my watch. My 5 year old Garmin Forerunner 235 doesn't do it. Thinking about upgrading to a Garmin 945. But I have Apple Music and Garmin 945 cannot download music from Apple Music. Thinking about switching to Spotify. What a nightmare.

I used to run while listening to music, but lately prefer running in peace and quiet.

However, I still like to carry my phone with me just in case. I recommend a small waist pouch for the phone and Spotify or similar streaming if you want music.

I use either have a generic mp3 player or my android smartphone. I prefer mp3s to control what I l want to hear, plus I can easily convert my vinyl album/CD tracks to mp3 format (or in pinch download the track from youtube and convert it). I set it to shuffle play, because timing my workout to the tempo of the song playing makes for a unique and interesting workout every time.

I would love to listen to music when walking, however I really wouldn't care walking to the tune of Colonel Bogey's March--by John Phillip Sousa. It sure has the beat, however.

Crazy question- wondering about these watches, whether they get really sweaty under those bands, usually wide and silicone-like. I know, I know....
I've never felt like I had a problem with getting sweaty under a watch first. I sweat when it's warm if it my effort is high, but not any worse under a watch. For really long runs I might have to loosen it a notch if I swell up much due to retaining fluids, but I'm talking a marathon or longer on a warm day.

There are lots of different band styles and materials. My woven nylon sport loop band breathes quite well.

Back
Top Bottom