My adventures with MOHS

5Miler

Recycles dryer sheets
To be clear, I have absolutely no complaints about the care I have been receiving through the VA.

During my regular checkup at the VA last January I brought attention to a small bump on the side of my nose that just didn't want to heal properly for several months. I was quickly scheduled for follow up and within a few days was seen by a local clinic for macro photos to be sent to the Dermatology Clinic near the main Atlanta VA hospital. Within a week I was contacted again to schedule a biopsy in late March.

I scheduled it for the end of March but ended up rescheduling for late May as I was set for a month of Scuba Diving on the island of Bonaire until mid May. Never having had a biopsy, I didn't know if it would be an issue with my trip or not. (It wouldn't have been).

It really didn't matter because Covid happened. The VA went into shutdown mode as did almost all elective surgeries in the known universe and my appointment was cancelled. I did get a video appointment with the Dermatology Clinic in May and again in September before I got a bit huffy with them. The Video appointments were apparently to ensure no tumors were growing to engulf my face of something. They quickly arranged an appointment for a biopsy three days after my last Video appointment and while I was busy enjoying the nose full of needles, had them also biopsy the tip of my nose which always seems red and a bit scaly to me.

I was called the next week with results and both areas were positive for Basal Cell which they told me during the biopsy was most likely. But they, like my MOHS surgeon, were quick to point out, if you are going to get a cancer it's the best kind to get. Anyway, they set up a referral for a local Dermatology surgeon near my home to do the MOHS procedure and to wait up to 4 weeks to hear from them. After 5 weeks I called to see what the issue was only to find no referral had been completed. So now it is early November and they start again on the referral. Two weeks later I get a call from the local Dermatology clinic and get a date for the procedure which was last Friday, Dec 4.

Great people, wonderful doctor at the local Dermatology center. They decided to only do one area at a time so the side of the nose was completed and as an added bonus, a patch of skin was taken from inside my ear to use as a graft on my nose. Goody, two wounds to deal with. They told me the other spot on the tip of my nose would need a graft also and it would be too much reconstruction for one session so I would be happier letting the first area heal a bit before continuing. I do see their point now. At least I didn't need to get an additional referral from the VA for the second visit.

Phase two scheduled for early Monday, Dec 28. I chalk all the delays up to me and my scuba fetish and Covid throwing the healthcare system into turmoil for most of the year. The other positive is the bandages on my nose from the biopsy and subsequent surgery have been covered by the use of a mask in public. Truly a win, win.

Im glad you got it checked! Went through this with DH at Walter Reed. Ended up teaching a lecture at Leavenworth with a pressure bandage (think bar of soap) strapped to his forehead. If you ever have a similar thing on another body part, think twice because they will want to do an excision vice MOHS probably. We did one of those, once, and it was such a huge deep cut and on his thigh as a runner they did 3 LAYERS of stitches. GNarliest thing Ive seen, and Ive seen a thing or 2. So stick with mohs wherever you can. We will go out in town with cash money if we need to do another body part and they wont do mohs. About a year later the mohs spot was just a pink spot, maybe another year it was a little paler than the surrounding area. Now I would have to look for it to find it. So it will settle in nicely i would bet for you.

Im glad you got it checked! Went through this with DH at Walter Reed. Ended up teaching a lecture at Leavenworth with a pressure bandage (think bar of soap) strapped to his forehead. If you ever have a similar thing on another body part, think twice because they will want to do an excision vice MOHS probably. We did one of those, once, and it was such a huge deep cut and on his thigh as a runner they did 3 LAYERS of stitches. GNarliest thing Ive seen, and Ive seen a thing or 2. So stick with mohs wherever you can. We will go out in town with cash money if we need to do another body part and they wont do mohs. About a year later the mohs spot was just a pink spot, maybe another year it was a little paler than the surrounding area. Now I would have to look for it to find it. So it will settle in nicely i would bet for you.

Thanks for the heads up on excision possibility. The MOHS is more than enough trauma for me at this point. The nose is doing very well but the donor site in my ear is sore as heck. Not looking forward to another round of MOHS as it is. All in all I would have to count myself fortunate though.

When I went for my surgery, I didn’t realize how large the incision would be. When they say they take a “slice” at a time until they get it all, one would think a slice is pretty thin. Not so. Thankfully, they got all mine on the first slice. Sure glad of that because any more and I think I would have been looking at a graft myself. Unfortunately, I had to go to work (pre COVID) with a Frankenstein set of stitches on my nose. One time that a mask would have been nice.

Glad to hear you’re getting along pretty well. Hang in there. I had a friend that had most of his nose reconstructed and when it was all done, he looked pretty good. Not that you couldn’t tell he had something done, but it turned out very good.

When I went for my surgery, I didn’t realize how large the incision would be. When they say they take a “slice” at a time until they get it all, one would think a slice is pretty thin. Not so. Thankfully, they got all mine on the first slice. Sure glad of that because any more and I think I would have been looking at a graft myself. Unfortunately, I had to go to work (pre COVID) with a Frankenstein set of stitches on my nose. One time that a mask would have been nice.

Oh yeah, I was fortunate there as well as they were able to get all of mine on the first slice as well. Probably won't be so lucky the next round as they couldn't visualize the margins as well so might take an extra whack or two at it. I think it's more an issue of circumference rather than depth this time but they estimate it to be the same size. Having visions of Jigsaw from the Dark Knight but the anticipation always seems worse than the reality.

I was having Mohs surgery about twice a year to keep up with squamous cell carcinoma on forehead, nose, and face. My dermatologist recommended 2 x 500 mg per day of niacinamide. It slows the occurrence of non-melanoma skin cancers. It’s cheap on Amazon. I’ve noticed a significant decrease in occurrences.

I have to admit to not being very diligent in applying sunscreen like I should have over the years. I spent my first 5 years in the military at Dover AFB in Delaware and pretty much lived at Rehoboth Beach every summer. Back then, baby oil was our sunscreen if you recall. I spend a lot of time cruising and on scuba trips as well so guess I'm paying the price now. I've finally taken to wearing ball caps in the summer as I'm becoming folic challenged these days.

I was having Mohs surgery about twice a year to keep up with squamous cell carcinoma on forehead, nose, and face. My dermatologist recommended 2 x 500 mg per day of niacinamide. It slows the occurrence of non-melanoma skin cancers. It’s cheap on Amazon. I’ve noticed a significant decrease in occurrences.

Here's an interesting if. it not a contradictory within itself article about niacinamide.

https://www.healthline.com/health/beauty-skin-care/niacinamide#topical-vs.-dietary

It touts many of the skin benefits when taken, but then goes on to say,

"However, there’s no way to guarantee that the nutrients in your diet are impacting your overall skin health. The only way to ensure that niacinamide is targeting your skin care concerns is to use it topically."
Overall the article portrays the supplement as doing so many great things for the skin that I wonder why there aren't commercials calling it a miracle.

Just looked on Amazon, found one 12% solution at $4.40, which is very cheap compared to other brands, so cheap, $16/oz vs $1.10/oz.

I'm a skeptical. Anyone know this company?

https://www.amazon.com/SenAllis-Cos...1&keywords=niacinamide&qid=1607688633&sr=8-14

Last edited:
Great people, wonderful doctor at the local Dermatology center. They decided to only do one area at a time so the side of the nose was completed and as an added bonus, a patch of skin was taken from inside my ear to use as a graft on my nose. Goody, two wounds to deal with. They told me the other spot on the tip of my nose would need a graft also and it would be too much reconstruction for one session so I would be happier letting the first area heal a bit before continuing. I do see their point now. At least I didn't need to get an additional referral from the VA for the second visit.

Best of luck with your procedures. My mum has had two of these done. One on her forehead, 17 years ago was a basal that needed a graft from behind her ear.

And then a mohs this summer on her nose that went a quite deep but they got it all. Didn't need any reconstruction but was a bit longer to heal.

In both cases, you would not know anything was done within months unless you were up super close.

Good Luck with your surgery. Seems a little slow though. Maybe because of Covid. I went to our Dermatologist for a regular visit. They noticed a suspected Basil Cell spot on my scalp. Took a biopsy then and there. Within 3 days the results were positive. I was scheduled for surgery the following Wednesday (actually 5 days later). surgery was completed in a couple of hours with 3 layer tests. All done.

Good Luck with your surgery. Seems a little slow though. Maybe because of Covid. I went to our Dermatologist for a regular visit. They noticed a suspected Basil Cell spot on my scalp. Took a biopsy then and there. Within 3 days the results were positive. I was scheduled for surgery the following Wednesday (actually 5 days later). surgery was completed in a couple of hours with 3 layer tests. All done.

Yes between the Covid closures early this year and dealing with the VA the delays are getting tough.

Heading in for round two of my MOHS adventure early this morning. The tip of my nose this time. The side of my nose has mostly healed up but the graft donor site in my ear is still pretty angry when I'm not gentle with it. Hopefully today will wrap it up. Not something I've been looking forward to I must admit.

Heading in for round two of my MOHS adventure early this morning. The tip of my nose this time. The side of my nose has mostly healed up but the graft donor site in my ear is still pretty angry when I'm not gentle with it. Hopefully today will wrap it up. Not something I've been looking forward to I must admit.

Good luck. It will all work out.

I'm back home, in and out in 1.5 hours. First session showed clear margins again and thankfully no additional grafts required. The doctor decided to cut a skin flap instead to close the wound as he said the skin in this area is pretty resilient The picture he took afterwards reminded me a little of Captain Hook with the line of sutures down my nose. The Doctor said he has done this once or twice before so he expected good results. I'll give him the benefit of doubt at this point.

Local now starting to wear off and it is beginning to feel like someone smacked me in the snoot. All of the earlier work is reported to be looking good so I'm done except for my follow up visit in 6 weeks. Thank Goodness. I know this isn't major but I'm not a fan when the surgical blades start coming out.

I had MOHS on the side of my nose and right after it looked so horrible I thought it would take forever to heal with a huge scar. But after a few months it was significantly better and after a year or two you can't notice a thing. So just be patient.

Had the big unveiling today with the bandage removal. Yeah, this will take some time to heal up. I'm sure it will be fine but most of my nose is bright red now as the line of sutures goes up most of the nose from the flap he cut. The graft on the side of the nose looks very good at almost 4 weeks since that surgery. I can start to lay on the ear if I do it gently (donor site for initial graft). I'm glad to say I'm done with all the slicing and dicing. Every day should be better from here on out.

Good to hear the second round seems to be good result, now just wait for the healing. Over time the scarring will subside, but it does take some time.

After the 6 week follow-up, does the dermatologist have you on a 6 month checkup schedule? I'm on 6 month basically for life as I have had several basal cell spots and one melanoma spot in the past. I see the dermatologist more than my primary physician :facepalm:

After the 6 week follow-up, does the dermatologist have you on a 6 month checkup schedule? I'm on 6 month basically for life as I have had several basal cell spots and one melanoma spot in the past. I see the dermatologist more than my primary physician :facepalm:

Nobody mentioned it yet but the Dermatologist Surgery Clinic that did the deed was a referral from the VA so they are probably done with me after the 6 week check up. The VA Dermatologist has not scheduled anything to date but I have my regular VA Primary Care visit scheduled for June so I'll see what the plan is then. Still scheduled for a month of diving in April/May in the Caribbean so guess I should invest in lots of sun screen.

Good to hear the second round seems to be good result, now just wait for the healing. Over time the scarring will subside, but it does take some time.

Same here with 1 Basal and 1 Melanoma.

Same here with 1 Basal and 1 Melanoma.

Standard OP for melanoma (according to my dermatologist and WebMD) is every 3 months, until nothing is detected for a year. After 3 melanomas and 3 basil cells, I expect to see the dermatologist every 3 months for a long time

Standard OP for melanoma (according to my dermatologist and WebMD) is every 3 months, until nothing is detected for a year. After 3 melanomas and 3 basil cells, I expect to see the dermatologist every 3 months for a long time
I passed the every 3 months for one year several years ago. Now it's perpetual 6 months. Have a big divot scar on my back where the melanoma was removed. Mine was caught early, thanks to my regular dermatologist visits from prior basal cell.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom