Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry to hear that your DH has cancer, however I am glad that they have caught it early which gives him a good chance of beating the darn disease. Hope you are soon updating us with good news.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2010, 07:11 PM   #22

Sorry to hear this. Best wishes, and hang in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
DH had a gig tonight and the doc called a few minutes before he left. He decided to go to the gig...
Cool that he is just carrying on . . .
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

He's got the best darn DW any dude could hope for! That fur sure will help him get better. Love you bbbamI. I know you both love music - I do too - so often the best way to communicate what you're feeling...You both will be on my mind.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Damn, so sorry to hear this news. Let me know, privately or otherwise, what I can do to help.

It is true that most prostate cancers that are localized can be cured or controlled for a full life expectancy. I know it will be rough at times until you get past this, but my intuition tells me it will work out fine. My heart is with you both.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

So sorry to hear this, B. The men I know who have gone through what your husband faces have had remarkable results with different types of treatment and I'll say a little prayer that you will be able to say the same about your dh's results soon.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Wow -- what sad news. My heart goes out to you and your husband. I know nothing at all about prostate cancer so I can't add much to what others have said, except that we care and are surely hoping for the best. Take care.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by purron View Post
he's got the best darn dw any dude could hope for! That fur sure will help him get better. Love you bbbami. I know you both love music - i do too - so often the best way to communicate what you're feeling...you both will be on my mind.

+1

r
Old 12-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #28

Tough break bbbamI. Sorry to hear about it. As you say, it is good that it was caught early.

My neighbour was diagnosed with prostate cancer at 60 and beat it. He has been cancer free for 4 years now. My FiL was diagnosed at 73. He was treated and his PSA readings barely register any more ie. he is in full remission.

All the best to you.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #29

I'm so sorry to hear this also, but glad that they caught it early. I'll look forward to updates when you have some news to share.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I can only imagine how you must feel right now. No one is ever prepared to be told they or a loved one has cancer. DH and I were just talking about cancer the other day (as we have had three friends recently diagnosed with differnt types)and how difficult and frightening it must be to get that news.

But we also talked about how amazing the treatments are today, how survival rates are better than what we heard when we were younger - especially when caught early. Stay positive and know there are lots of people here to talk to. We're all thinking of you and DH.
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #31
Administrator

So sorry to hear the news.

Stay positive, there is an excellent recovery rate with early detection. I only personally know 3 people who had prostate cancer and they were all treated successfully.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Yikes. You and he will be in my thoughts.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

As other have said.... the good news is it is prostate cancer... I used to talk to my BIL who read up on this (he did not have it)... the few things I remember him saying...

Most men actually have prostate cancer and are not diagnosed... Rich might be able to confirm or deny....

It is very treatable... and success is very high...

I remember an uncle of mine told us about his... I think he first found out about 15 years ago... he had some kind of radioactive pellets inserted... I really never got an update as to what happened.... but I do know he is still living... age of 88...

In the end... all will be OK.....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

BBB, FWIW about 10 years ago my father went through a radical prostatectomy after they found a stage IV tumor. He'd been avoiding doctors for a decade, and by the time he saw one his PSA was off the charts.

He went to a small community hospital, where by today's standards his surgeons were probably using stone axes and catgut. Everything turned out fine. He practically did it as outpatient, taking taxis between the hospital and his apartment. A decade later his PSA is still in the very low single digits.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tough news. If it's any help, my DW's uncle had PC a couple of years back. He was in his late seventies and came through fine. As others have indicated, worse things could happen. Hoping everything turns out well.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm so sorry to hear the news bbbamI. I'd like to join the amazing support group you have here. You and your DH are going to come through this just fine.
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:06 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

bbbam,
Very sorry to hear the news. This whole prostate thang appears to be a significant design problem in men. If it's any comfort, know that your DH has plenty of company. The treatment options are many, and from what I've seen it can be a bit intimidating to choose. The good news is that successful treatment (both in terms of longevity and preserving quality of life) is the norm. My FIL had some type of multi-axis beam radiation treatments for his prostate cancer last year--it left him feeling quite tired for a couple months, but he's much better now.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:23 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quoting you from another thread: "I have unconditional love in my life and I'm going to cherish every moment...."

He's very fortunate to have you in this fight with him... It will be tough but I'd put my money on the two of you!
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:41 PM   #39

I'm sorry to hear about your DH's pc. I wish the best for you and DH and am betting he is going to do well and beat this cancer.

My father went through pc and he had radioactive seeds implanted in the prostate. I don't remember what stage his was considered, but it was slow growing. He is doing well now 15 years later and the psa has remained low.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:30 AM   #40

Hey guys, doctors will take good care of him. How can we take good care of her?