My heart attack

One of my relatives went on Long Term Disability (LTD) and after a few years the insurance company realized she would not get better, so to save themselves money, they forced her to go on SS disability (which reduced by a lot what the insurance company pays).

+1.
LTD benefits supplements SSDI benefits so if SSDI benefits and other income such as workers compensation benefits are less than 60% of salary the insurance company is on the hook for the balance unless of course a cash settlement is reached.

Last edited:
My pain was concentrated in the middle of my back not much in chest. I've had back problems in the past so that's what I thought it was. I went to the ER and all seemed OK until some tests came back and then I had 10 people around me stripping my clothes off, pushing meds into me. Then down the hall in the bed, the nurses at trot, to the cath lab. Wam bam thank ya ma'am.
The cardiologist was very good, and told me after the procedure that I'd beaten what was known in the biz as the "widow maker".
All and all a hell of an experience that I would't recommend.

Thank you for bringing up this topic. Your experience was nearly identical to mine-annoying pain between my shoulder blades that felt like I needed to see the chiropractor. I could not get comfortable sitting or lying down. About half an hour later, I became nauseous, but did not throw up. I keep the heart assn. "symptoms of a heart attack" magnet on our fridge, but the chest pain/arm pain, shortness of breath did not apply to me. I took some 1/2 dose asprin (2-3) anyway and tried to get comfortable. We were driving home from another state through rural areas, so I decided to wait and see. When we arrived home, I called the 24/7 nurse on our ins. She told me it might be a heart attack, but not sure. Said to have DW drive me to ER and tell the receptionist I was having a heart attack and that would put me at the front of the waiting line, for immediate care.

It was 8 hours after initial symptoms that I was before a Dr. They helicoptered me to regional heart center and I got 2 stents. "Widow-maker" was blocked 90%. Lucky to be alive. Heart has some damage, but it still pumps OK so Dr. is not too worried.

6 years later, I feel like I am able to do most anything-(except snow shoveling, per Dr.). Because of the stents, meds, and yearly Cardio Dr. appt., I feel like I am better off than many men my age who do not think they have problems-until it is too late.

I have researched online about the back pain thing and also only found that sometimes women get those symptoms. Heart assn. is doing a disservice to future male heart attack vics by not making back pain common knowledge.

EKG hardly finds anything, from the experience of people I know who had heart artery blockage. I don't think an echocardiogram would detect that either. I am surprised that an echocardiogram would cost that much.

A while back, I was quoted $1500 (my portion) for an echocardiogram. I told them I would be on Medicade a few months later, and what would it cost then? $85. Since that was still before my next cardiologist vist, I waited.

I went to a EMT / Paramedic first aid class and the guy teaching the class explained symptoms and said if you think you are having a heart attack you probably are ( don't mess with it ) . One of the other things he said was that he considers CPR useless. He said that it has changed and they no longer blow into your mouth . Any how we asked what should we do . He told us survival rate with CPR is less then 10% . He recommended we buy a defribilator around 600 .00 . Maybe he was trying to sell these machines but we all had to learn how to use it . They are easy to use and I have friends who carry them in their car's . They are also pretty cheap you can find them around 600.00 on Ebay . he said your chances with a Defrib. are over 88%

Thanks for posting on this important topic. The back pain thing kind of freaks me out as I've had periodic back pain for 50 years. :(

A dumb question , every year with my physical I get an EKG . Everything shows OK Is this enough . My father died with a heart attack ?? Should I do more ??
EchoCardiogram, Radiation stress test, Agiogram. I have had them all. Long story that started on 2000 in Malaysia, recurred in Vancouver 5 years ago. Doing another round next year. So far so good. Tachycardia occurs under extreme duress. Solution: Sit down, calm down, take it easy for 5 minutes then resume. Use a puffer to extend duration before it sets in. (My mountain climbing has been seriously curtailed.)

Last edited:
EchoCardiogram, Radiation stress test, Agiogram. I have had them all. Long story that started on 2000 in Malaysia, recurred in Vancouver 5 years ago. Doing another round next year. So far so good. Tachycardia occurs under extreme duress. Solution: Sit down, calm down, take it easy for 5 minutes then resume. Use a puffer to extend duration before it sets in. (My mountain climbing has been seriously curtailed.)

Have had tachycardia since I was a teenager. Never had any negative effects (except fear). Longest bout was about 2hrs one time only - most are 10-15min. Recurrence about 1-2 times/year.

No correlation from any potential triggers - stress, caffeine, etc. Nothing matters - can happen just sitting still. All kinds of tests with nothing found, or concerns by docs.

I'm convinced it is electrical. Not worrying about it. Exercising regularly and eating the best I can. Nothing else I can do.

Kind of a funny story about lower back pain. I have an annual physical every year , so my Doc asks me how are you feeling . I tell him fine but my lower back has started hurting . Of course he says old age . I go through all of my blood tests and he calls me to do it again . Ok I have never been sick . I go do it again , he then calls me to go see a nephrologist ( kidney ) Doc. I go see the kidney doctor more blood tests . Then he wants me to go to the hospital for 3 days . I told my LW I feel fine this is just some sort of gimmick ! She forces me to go to the hospital 3 days later I have two doctors and a CT Scan guy come in my room to show me the results of the CT scan . I had a Tumor Stage 4 renal Cancer . I was scared badly the oncologist told me if I let it go there would be problems . Two weeks later they removed the kidney and the cancer no more back pain . I asked the surgeon who removed my kidney how do you live to an old age he said you get an illness like what I had and you are under care the rest of your life . Every 6 months my kidney and bloodwork is looked at .

Get out as soon as you can.

My father had a high stress job. He had a number of medical issues and had been hospitalized several times.

He retired early-at 58. He moved to the west coast. Started golfing 18 or 27 holes 3 days a week for nine months of the year. His health improved dramatically- almost overnight.

He lived, traveled, and enjoyed his DB pension and his retirement, for another
30 years.

The question should not be how many more years do you want to work but how many years of retirement do you want to enjoy.

I took his example and ER'd at the same age.

I'm very glad for you that you didn't ignore the warning signs.

Yes, you have received the one free wake-up call that we can all hope to be lucky enough to have. Mine was 15yrs ago and the change in lifestyle has been worth it.

Like others have said here, if you can avoid the work / stress lifestyle earlier rather than later it will be for the good. If you do go back to w*rk try to make sure they respect your need for less stress...a letter from your physician may help (it did for me). And of course, cardic rehab NOW, and counseling on diet and exercise is in order. It's really worth it ;)

Don't feel glum or down, you have a whole new life ahead .

_B

Have had tachycardia since I was a teenager. Never had any negative effects (except fear). Longest bout was about 2hrs one time only - most are 10-15min. Recurrence about 1-2 times/year.

No correlation from any potential triggers - stress, caffeine, etc. Nothing matters - can happen just sitting still. All kinds of tests with nothing found, or concerns by docs.

I'm convinced it is electrical. Not worrying about it. Exercising regularly and eating the best I can. Nothing else I can do.
When it broke out on the third leg of my last stress test, they called code blue and four cardiologists showed up in two minutes. I have had SVT attacks while relaxing and they always recover in a minute or two. VT takes longer, often 5 minutes. Then I have other symptoms which go away in an hour or two.

Going through another set of tests in May. Routine.

No heart problems, yet (cross fingers) unless you count bradycardia. When i was about 40 I was in for a routine pre-op physical (rotator cuff surgery) and they hooked me up to the EKG, turned the lights down and let the machine run. I had to have a brief talk with the MD after - they needed to know why my resting pulse rate was 40. After i explained that I was a runner, everything was hunky-dory. When I was in grad school I would donate plasma. I would make sure that I either biked to the facility or would take a quick jog around the property when I got there because they wouldn't let me donate if my pulse was under 50 and I needed the money to support my golf habit.

Unfortunately, as many of you have related, none of this is any guarantee that I'm not a walking time bomb. That's what's so scary about the ticker.

When it broke out on the third leg of my last stress test, they called code blue and four cardiologists showed up in two minutes. I have had SVT attacks while relaxing and they always recover in a minute or two. VT takes longer, often 5 minutes. Then I have other symptoms which go away in an hour or two.

Going through another set of tests in May. Routine.
I have occasional SVT. They installed a loop monitor to look for aFib when my brother turned up with that following identical symptoms. But all it is is SVT. I get it a couple of time a year always when I am exercising. If I lay down and raise my feet it goes away in a few minutes.

What is the puffer you mentioned? How does that work if you don't know when the SVT is going to come on?

Pay for an angiogram (if necessary) and take 81g coated aspirin every day.

Fortunately, one cannot buy nor swallow a pill that is 1000 times the oft-used 81 mg.

What is funny is that 81 mg is not a meaningful number other than some study used 81 mg and not 75 mg nor 80 mg nor something else. The number 81 shows how ridiculous medical science can be sometimes. And even funnier is that 81 mg is not modified for the weight of the person taking the aspirin.

Fortunately, one cannot buy nor swallow a pill that is 1000 times the oft-used 81 mg.

What is funny is that 81 mg is not a meaningful number other than some study used 81 mg and not 75 mg nor 80 mg nor something else. The number 81 shows how ridiculous medical science can be sometimes. And even funnier is that 81 mg is not modified for the weight of the person taking the aspirin.
Blasphemy! We may have to take away your medical insurance to teach you. :bat:

Congratulations on your new lease on life! I had exactly the same thing happen in September and I wound up with 4 stents. I feel like the luckiest person alive.

Take care of yourself first and do whatever the doctors tell you. I can't imagine going back to work after a heart attack. Treasure every day as the gift that it is. Best wishes to you.

Wow... how lucky you went to ER.

Stay with us as you begin your retirement. I am sorry you had this experience, glad you got the medical intervention as needed.

Looking forward to many, many reports of your post-retirement fun & enjoyment.

Congrats on seeking the correct medical attention and living to share your story. I also worked rotating shift work for almost 36 years. I retired from one of the oil companies and the long term disability is one of the unknown benefits very few people understood IMO including myself. As others have commented on this benefit you have earned, don't go on "old Joes" knowledge or a brand new HR departments knowledge of it. Even though their intentions may be sincere, do your homework dig down and get in contact with the correct person someone will know. Believe me no one cares more about it than yourself because in most cases we are all just a number. I have seen many people give up getting the LTD and going ahead to retire. Good luck.

What is the puffer you mentioned? How does that work if you don't know when the SVT is going to come on?
The puffer is for my mild case of COPD diagnosed in an MRI a few years ago. Only a preventive measure to avoid excess heart stress during climbing.

(I don't think it has any effect of Tachycardia.)

Back
Top Bottom