Join Early Retirement Today

My Mind Playing Tricks On Me Again
Old 02-06-2020, 11:38 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My Mind Playing Tricks On Me Again

Starting my day as usual, I was reading the news stories, when I came across an article of former baseball home ring king, Hank Aaron, responded about the Houston Astros' cheating scandal.

Had me seriously scratching my head, as I recall, clear as day (at least according to my memory) that Hank Aaron had passed away. There were news announcements and obituaries about a year or two ago .... or not! I even remember having conversations with people discussing his death.

The false memory is a strange feeling, to say the least.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Hank isn't quite dead yet, correct.
In fact, he isn't even 90 years old!

TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:23 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had that happen with David Crosby. Maybe 10 years ago, there was some reference to him, I thought "can't be, he's been dead for years". Whenever I heard something about him (rarely), I still thought he was dead. Then heard he was going on tour, OK, THAT was a bit much! Checked wiki, still alive! Don't know where I got the firm idea that he was eight miles high...

I'm still waiting for Ed McMann to show up with that big PCH check!
Old 02-06-2020, 02:17 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
I had that happen with David Crosby. Maybe 10 years ago, there was some reference to him, I thought "can't be, he's been dead for years". Whenever I heard something about him (rarely), I still thought he was dead. Then heard he was going on tour, OK, THAT was a bit much! Checked wiki, still alive! Don't know where I got the firm idea that he was eight miles high...

I'm still waiting for Ed McMann to show up with that big PCH check!
Yeah. When I read that Hank Aaron article, was like I had seen a ghost as I vividly "remember" the news coverage and highlights of his home run breaking Babe Ruth's record as his death was announced. The only thing I can think of now is perhaps the highlights was the home run anniversary and my mind assumed it was a death announcement.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:33 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Maybe you were thinking of Ted Williams.

For a while, I thought Elvis was dead.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:39 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

No. I thought Hank Aaron.

In my self-doubt, I thought, maybe Willie Mays. But he is still alive. Then perhaps Willie McCovey or Rod Carew as they both passed away about a year ago. But I know the difference between Hank Aaron and the both of them.

I think either (1) I saw highlights news coverage of Hank Aaron's anniversary of him breaking Babe Ruth's HR record, but my mind registered that was an obituary type store or (2) I stepped into a parallel universe and saw the future. Thing is, I'm not sure which two I'm more positive of .
Old 02-15-2020, 07:49 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

That's weird.

My recurring strange memory is that the New York Jets have won the Super Bowl.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:09 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
No. I thought Hank Aaron.

In my self-doubt, I thought, maybe Willie Mays. But he is still alive. Then perhaps Willie McCovey or Rod Carew as they both passed away about a year ago. But I know the difference between Hank Aaron and the both of them.

I think either (1) I saw highlights news coverage of Hank Aaron's anniversary of him breaking Babe Ruth's HR record, but my mind registered that was an obituary type store or (2) I stepped into a parallel universe and saw the future. Thing is, I'm not sure which two I'm more positive of .
Rod Carew is still alive.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:18 AM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

https://www.themarysue.com/memory-distortion-in-brain/

This theory/research can explain why older folks are said to have memory problems. They have had more time to revisit the memories and corrupt them. I hope it has been disproven in the last few years (article is from 2012). Maybe if I remember it next year the results will more to my liking! Haha
cbbennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:18 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
That's weird.

My recurring strange memory is that the New York Jets have won the Super Bowl.
Can't tell if you are serious, but if you are, google Joe Namath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn111 View Post
I was just going to look that up, because Carew was one of my favorite players growing up, and I'd think I'd remember if he passed.

I just ordered On Being Certain : Believing You Are Right Even When You're Not by Robert A. Burton. A friend recommended it. I can't recall if she said it helps with clarity in remembering, or helps explain why you feel certain about things that are wrong. Some reviews of the book say that he has an essay on Salon.com that covers the topic well, but since I'm now dating that friend I thought I should get the book.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:04 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I used to live in Kalamazoo, I can assure you, he's not dead.
Time2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:34 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I know, there's many people they say are dead that are alive and well. Back in the 80s I met Jim Morrison alive and well driving taxi in Chicago.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:13 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn111 View Post
What's going on here? I was sure he died in 2019

Well, at least I found an article that he had died once with a massive heart attack but the docs revived him with paddles and he had a heart transplant. I still thought that he had still died afterwards.

Now I'm leaning towards me stepping into a parallel universe theory .
Old 02-15-2020, 11:18 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Okay. So, I brought up an article listing deaths of famous athletes in 2019.

Very possible, I was thinking Rod Carew and Hank Aaron died but got them mixed up with Frank Robinson. All Hall of Famers and played in the same era.

Perhaps? But a part of my brain still "remembers" vivid discussions about them dying.

Guess, I wouldn't make a good witness .

My apologies to Hank and Rod.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:15 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Can't tell if you are serious, but if you are, google Joe Namath.
Nah, I was joking. But it does seem like a false memory.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

As time goes by I'm amazed at how memory is not to be trusted .My saving grace is that I am aware of this so I try not to rely on it (anything that needs to be done gets put on my calendar immediately) and I never insist that my recollection is correct. If I need to remember to bring something, I put in it front of my front door immediately.
Scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:28 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

You time slipped between parallel universes is all. Happens all the time. It's a bitch when actually caught between the two though. That's when you talk to someone in one universe but are physically still in the other. Everybody thinks I'm crazy when that happens.

I'm sure Dusty Baker is/was dead. My dad lived in an independent living facility where Dusty's brother lived. I'd often see Dusty during meals in the dining room, sometimes even sharing the table with my dad, him and his brother. I vividly recall when I was told he died one day while visiting. Today in the Sports section of the newspaper I read he's managing the Huston Astro's. Well, o.k. another time slip between universes I guess. At least in this one I'm FIRE, so there's that....
skipro33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:31 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
You time slipped between parallel universes is all. Happens all the time. It's a bitch when actually caught between the two though. That's when you talk to someone in one universe but are physically still in the other. Everybody thinks I'm crazy when that happens.

I'm sure Dusty Baker is/was dead. My dad lived in an independent living facility where Dusty's brother lived. I'd often see Dusty during meals in the dining room, sometimes even sharing the table with my dad, him and his brother. I vividly recall when I was told he died one day while visiting. Today in the Sports section of the newspaper I read he's managing the Huston Astro's. Well, o.k. another time slip between universes I guess. At least in this one I'm FIRE, so there's that....
Glad to see I'm not alone. But I actually knew Dusty Baker is alive.
BTW ... Dusty Baker was on deck when Hank Aaron hit his 715th HR to break Babe Ruth's record. Just sayin' .
Oh ... my mind was at it again last night as I was sure Michael Milken (the junk bond king) had died, but saw his name, alive and kicking, in the news yesterday.