My quarterly blood test ...

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
7:30AM was the earliest labcorp appointment I could get because I put it off so long. I was anxious going anywhere near where people congregate (the waiting room) and getting close to the lab technician. I woke up and had half a cup of coffee with milk before I realized what was doing and I dumped it and had a cup of black coffee. Fasting was required.

I got there, flashed my drivers license in the reader and they took me right in ..it’s never that crowded it’s creepy - someone walked out when I walked in. 2 minutes later I was getting my blood drawn.

The simple act of getting a blood test these days can be stressful. I did what I needed to do and all I can do is hope for the best. It’s a reminder to me how the virus affects everything.

Last edited:
I had my annual physical Tuesday PM and had to go back yesterday for my blood test. My Drs office had chairs in the waiting room widely spaced out, and they went through a Covid Q&A and temperature check before taking me back to the exam room. Blood draw was also done at Drs office. Any sick patients were told in advance or by note on front door they could only be seen via telemedicine call. All patients and medical personal had face masks and Dr even wore a face shield. I had no concerns at all about going.

6 or so years ago I "graduated" from quarterly to semi-annual blood tests for my condition. Each time it's stressful. With COVID, that adds an extra stress level. Hope all the numbers work out for you!

Thanks for posting. I need to have labs in 20-30 days and was wondering about the protocol. Good luck on your tests.

Hopefully my cholesterol is better this time. My labs got worse after eating differently for 3 months. I'm now back to logging my food in MFP and checking their database entries against my food as many don't have saturated fat broken out. I'm must be doing something different as I've dropped 10 pounds in the past 9 weeks.

I went to the eye doctor today, stopped at the door, temp check and questionnaire, about, have you been sick, traveled, etc. Signed paperwork, that you are there voluntarily. Must wear a mask, I had mine, but they had them at the door. Every thing washed with alcohol wipes. I was too soon on one machine the alcohol fumes burned my eyes.

And the worst part, 9:00 to 11:15, 2 hrs and 15 minutes for an eye exam.
And the place was packed. They list 8 docs for that place.

A competitor has a commercial about being herded like cattle, (Moo)
and says if you don't like that come see him. I might!

I'm with Kaiser in SoCal. Once a year I get blood work done. A1C, Liver, Kidney, Thyroid and Cholesterol, LDL, HDL, et al.

I'd like to have it done more often, I just like to see my numbers. I'm surprised Vitamin D levels aren't part of the test.

I had my annual physical yesterday and that included a full blood work up. My Doc called me today and told me she reviewed the results and all blood work tests were within normal ranges and there are no issues with kidneys, liver, etc..

My PSA test result was 1.15, Glucose 93, and lipid panel as follows:

CHOLESTEROL - 165 <200 (MG/DL)

TRIGLYCERIDES - 47 <150 (MG/DL)

HDL CHOLESTEROL - 66 >39 (MG/DL)

CALC LDL CHOL - 86 <100 (MG/DL)

For a 76 year old dude, I am happy. I still need to lose 10 to 20 pounds though!:blush:

7:30AM was the earliest labcorp appointment I could get because I put it off so long. I was anxious going anywhere near where people congregate (the waiting room) and getting close to the lab technician. I woke up and had half a cup of coffee with milk before I realized what was doing and I dumped it and had a cup of black coffee. Fasting was required.

I got there, flashed my drivers license in the reader and they took me right in ..it’s never that crowded it’s creepy - someone walked out when I walked in. 2 minutes later I was getting my blood drawn.

The simple act of getting a blood test these days can be stressful. I did what I needed to do and all I can do is hope for the best. It’s a reminder to me how the virus affects everything.
I was told having a diet pop was not fasting and had to return another day. I believe that would apply to coffee also. They want water only before those tests

I was told having a diet pop was not fasting and had to return another day. I believe that would apply to coffee also. They want water only before those tests

Black coffee is normally acceptable before a fasting blood test.

Interesting. I've never been told that (but then I never asked). I drink a lot of the stuff & I'm sure I've done it before my tests. I wonder how or if it affected the results.

I understood that fasting means no food -- i.e., any calories that need digesting -- which is why coffee or tea is OK, but not with milk. May be worth looking into.

Last edited:
Fasting and coffee question is rabbit hole territory, I always drink my coffee black and I side with the medical folks that say coffee is OK. YMMV

I just show up at labcorp at opening and get in right away. The appointment is probably good idea if the location is high traffic.

As a 60 year old dude I would be happy with those numbers, especially the HDL and triglycerides.
I had my annual physical yesterday and that included a full blood work up. My Doc called me today and told me she reviewed the results and all blood work tests were within normal ranges and there are no issues with kidneys, liver, etc..

My PSA test result was 1.15, Glucose 93, and lipid panel as follows:

CHOLESTEROL - 165 <200 (MG/DL)

TRIGLYCERIDES - 47 <150 (MG/DL)

HDL CHOLESTEROL - 66 >39 (MG/DL)

CALC LDL CHOL - 86 <100 (MG/DL)

For a 76 year old dude, I am happy. I still need to lose 10 to 20 pounds though!:blush:

As a 60 year old dude I would be happy with those numbers, especially the HDL and triglycerides.

Thanks, and DW's numbers are all over the place with high cholesterol. Guess that indicates hereditary factors influence these numbers since DW and I eat the same foods.

Maybe just me but I take a wet wipe or two that I keep in a snack bag so I can open it up and wipe my fingers etc whenever I touch something that might have virus... it stays wet inside the bag...

Then a small bottle of hand sanitizer in the car to use before driving off..

I just get an annual test too. Last one was good.

Back
Top Bottom