Join Early Retirement Today

My uric acid levels were reduced with a supplement
Old 04-16-2022, 10:06 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My uric acid levels were reduced with a supplement

I am currently on a Very Low Calorie (VLC) doctor supervised diet.
https://www.optifast.com/

One of the side effects of a high protein diet is elevated uric acid levels. I have been on two of these diets now in the last 5 years, and each doctor did regular blood work including uric acid.
The first diet was ~5 years ago.
Initial value = 7.7
during the program = 6.6 and 6.5

This diet initial value = 7.7
during the program = 8.3 and 8.4
This is flagged as a high level, > 8.0
The doctor prescribed a round of colchicine, the traditional uric acid reducing medication, after the first result. As we can see, it did not help. One of the side effects of colchicine is gastric upset or diarrhea after the 2nd pill, and I had no side effects whatsoever.
After that second result, I ordered a supplement with good reviews from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After 10 days of this supplement, my lab results were 7.2 !!

High uric acid levels have been connected with higher mortality.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...P%20%3C0.001).

It also has negative effects for those of us with arthritis.
It is not just about the gout
The recommended therapeutic level for gout patients is < 6.0
I will update this thread as I get more results.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2022, 10:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
The doctor prescribed a round of colchicine, the traditional uric acid reducing medication, after the first result.
This isn’t correct. Colchicine is used to treat gout but it does not lower the uric acid level. We use allopurinol for that. If anyone was expecting colchicine to impact the uric acid level that was not going to happen.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 10:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
This isn’t correct. Colchicine is used to treat gout but it does not lower the uric acid level. We use allopurinol for that. If anyone was expecting colchicine to impact the uric acid level that was not going to happen.
thanks Steve.
I looked at allopurinol and the side effects. I am hoping this supplement gets it done.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:45 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...I ordered a supplement with good reviews from Amazon. ...
Obviously SGOTI posting on Amazon is a more reliable source than your doctor.
Old 04-16-2022, 11:00 AM   #5

Most doctors are not against using supplements.
Unlike typical SGOTI anecdotal " I got better" my post included blood test results. I will follow up with more of these results as I get them.
I don't have gout but just like shingles, I don't need to have it to know I don't want it. My DFIL had both and it was terrible for him.
I do have osteoarthritis all over to some extent, and also spondylosis. My hopes are to help prevent more damage and dodge the gout bullet. I don't expect any symptomatic results from this supplement, as I am trying to stay ahead of a potential problem.
Old 04-16-2022, 11:37 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Just curious why you intentionally seem to have a diet that raises uric acid levels and then take a supplement to lower UA? Why would you not simply change your diet? Like an anti-gout diet to lower UA levels? I get my UA levels tested at a lab every now and then, plus have UA paper at home so I can adjust my diet as needed.

Arthritis is linked to high UA levels - Exploring the Link between Uric Acid and Osteoarthritis - PMC (nih.gov)
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 11:46 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Most doctors are not against using supplements.
Your point is?
Quote:
Unlike typical SGOTI anecdotal " I got better" my post included blood test results. ...
Your anecdote implies that you believe correlation proves causality. With all the other stuff going on in your body, this is a walk onto thin ice.

But, really, I don't care. My comment was simply from a continuing sense of wonderment over people who seem to believe that the internet is a better resource for health information than their doctor is. Anyone who believes this, IMO needs to find a doctor whose knowledge and resources they respect.
Old 04-16-2022, 11:46 AM   #8

it is a short term doctor supervised diet. I'll be off it in 6 months or less.
My obesity is far more dangerous to my overall health at the moment, and once I get that down and managed I will be transitioning to something I can literally live with.
Old 04-16-2022, 11:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Your point is?
Your anecdote implies that you believe correlation proves causality. With all the other stuff going on in your body, this is a walk onto thin ice.

But, really, I don't care. My comment was simply from a continuing sense of wonderment over people who seem to believe that the internet is a better resource for health information than their doctor is. Anyone who believes this, IMO needs to find a doctor whose knowledge and resources they respect.
I and my doctor have nothing else to go by with regards to uric acid levels but these blood tests.
As noted this is a short term diet, but it is worth noting that in both cases my pre-diet uric acid levels were in the high normal range.
In the other diet program, the level went down without any specific actions. Unfortunately that program is no longer available in my area or I would be all over it.
Old 04-16-2022, 12:02 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
it is a short term doctor supervised diet. I'll be off it in 6 months or less.
My obesity is far more dangerous to my overall health at the moment, and once I get that down and managed I will be transitioning to something I can literally live with.
Got it. On more or less the same diet, DH's UA levels will go down and mine will go up, so I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out which foods raise and lower UA levels. There is a body of interesting research I never knew until recently, like tomatoes can raise UA levels - Positive association of tomato consumption with serum urate: support for tomato consumption as an anecdotal trigger of gout flares - PubMed (nih.gov).
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 04-16-2022, 12:09 PM   #11

That tomato thing is quite annoying, as DW simply loves toms but they are bad news for her osteo and rheumatoid arthritis.
She really misses a big salad with a huge pile of tomato on top.
Old 04-17-2022, 12:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Obviously SGOTI posting on Amazon is a more reliable source than your doctor.
Good luck finding a doctor who is knowledgeable in nutrition.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 07:51 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That tomato thing is quite annoying, as DW simply loves toms but they are bad news for her osteo and rheumatoid arthritis.
She really misses a big salad with a huge pile of tomato on top.
Nightshade vegetables (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and eggplant) can be inflammatory, so that makes sense...
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 05:17 PM   #14

I'm not a huge fan of optifast (family, not personal experience), I won't go there too deeply. One thing I'll say is that weight came off and they were not hungry. Long term health and weight is a challenge.

Anyway, about supplements, personally, I probably wouldn't go just on what's on Amazon reviews. But if I thought the ingredients were safe, and I had periodic tests scheduled, I might make the small investment and track the results.

In my experience, many of the herbal remedies have a history, usually in distant parts of the world. And so you can find studies (of various levels of credibility) on those remedies. So you can search on the ingredients and condition, sometimes that results in the discovery of a research paper. Most of these are pretty cr*ppy observational methodologies, but the reason for doing the study was probably because generations of people in that area had been convinced it worked. Then the pharmaceutical companies swoop in, figure out the molecule doing the heavy lifting and get a drug out of it. Progress!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:04 PM   #15

The heavy lifter of the ingredients is the tart cherry. Black cherry juice has been used to treat gout for a long time.
Old 06-03-2022, 07:16 AM   #16

Another blood test in and it was 6.9
I'll get blood work in another month and post again.
The rest of the numbers are OK, but the cholesterol is really low now.
Old 06-03-2022, 11:02 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

High uric acids levels can come from consumption of fructose: table sugar, fruit juices, sweetened beverages, sweetened foods.

Dr. Richard Johnson is an expert on uric acid and metabolism and diet. He is often interviewed for podcasts, etc.

You don’t necessarily have to avoid high purine foods, you have to avoid excessive fructose.

Attia podcast #194 – How fructose drives metabolic disease | Rick Johnson, M.D.
https://peterattiamd.com/rickjohnson2/
Old 06-03-2022, 12:33 PM   #18

I've had none for the last 3 months and my uric acid went higher and higher so I'm thinking fructose is not the deal here
Old 06-03-2022, 01:22 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Glad to hear your UA levels are coming down. That seems to be an important, but often overlooked, biomarker for longevity. We keep close tabs on our levels these days.
Old 06-03-2022, 01:24 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Gout is the disease of "kings". Has been for centuries. High fat/cholesterol/animal product lifestyle.

Whole food, plant based lifestyle. Not a diet.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote