Join Early Retirement Today

Nail fungus
Old 11-30-2006, 04:18 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Nail fungus

I hate to be the initiator of a thread about groaty nails, but I wonder if anyone has any success in eradicating nail fungus without taking a systemic oral medication. I know that it is effective but I don't like the idea of continuously bathing all my cells in a med in order to kill spores in a toe. On the other hand, i am so anxious to be rid of this loathsome condition that I would probably consent to the nail being pulled out (with anesthesia of course). I have been putting drops of a fungicide on the ugly digit for months and don't seem to be improving the situation. As to the oral med, has anyone taken it with no side effects?
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Nail fungus
Old 11-30-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

You mean Lamisil? I took it for a year with no side effects. However, I'm still waiting for my nail to get better . . . .

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:36 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Yup; Lamasil is the one I have read about. Has the prescribing doc given any explanation for why it hasn't worked. I thought the course was typically several months but less than a year.
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:40 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I took Lamasil for a while and developed bad headaches. Switched to another medicine can't remember the name. My nails cleared up after many months, a year later the fungus was back. What can I say??
Old 11-30-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
You mean Lamisil? I took it for a year with no side effects. However, I'm still waiting for my nail to get better . . . .
Glad it was easy and effective for you.

The fungus often returns even when "cured" AND the drugs costs a small fortune . The cure rate is at best 75%.

The more effective drugs nauseate 11% of takers and have a 3% "chemical" hepatitis rate (usually but not always mild). Rash: 9%, headache 4%.

I guess it would be a good bet if you were having pain from the thickened nail interfering with shoes or walking, or if you were a foot model. Most can keep things in check with good nail care. My experience is that the ladies usually opt for treatment despite the above, probably because of open toe shoes and cultural norms. The guys usually say something like, "forget that sh@#."

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:03 PM   #6

Quote:
My experience is that the ladies usually opt for treatment despite the above, probably because of open toe shoes and cultural norms. The guys usually say something like, "forget that sh@#."
Right you are, except that my doctor was the one who said "forget that sh@#." I wanted it, but she convinced me that I shouldn't do it. Nothing wrong with my liver or kidneys or anything, but she just wanted to err on the safe side.

I've heard from MANY people that Vicks VapoRub might do the trick, if you apply it every day for a year or so... I'm not that dedicated, so I don't know.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We were visiting Greg's elderly uncle yesterday, checking up on him. As usual, he was running around his trailer home in his underpants. He also had to take his socks off and show us his toenails. He had the toenails on the big toes removed because they were so groaty and made it hard to put on his shoes. His other nails were still there though. Yuck!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:36 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here's a treatment that works: Remove nail. Scrape away nail fungus. Keep toe clean and dry while new nail grows back.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
Here's a treatment that works: Remove nail. Scrape away nail fungus. Keep toe clean and dry while new nail grows back.
Method for removing nail? Pliers?

Old 11-30-2006, 05:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurf
Yup; Lamasil is the one I have read about. Has the prescribing doc given any explanation for why it hasn't worked. I thought the course was typically several months but less than a year.
No explanation other than it doesn't work in every case. Also, the manufacturer states that it can take up to year for the new, non-infected nail to grow in, so I guess that's their out - "you haven't waited long enough."

Old 11-30-2006, 05:43 PM   #11

I was prescribed a nail gel "NonyX" by a podiatrist that I was seen for a plantar faciatis (heal) problem. He recommended using it daily for a few months and filing the nail with a heavy duty file once a week. 6 months later the fungus is still there. My family doctor did not recommend Lamisil and told me to deal with it unless it becomes a painfull proposition.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:52 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I seriously whacked a nail and as the brusied mess grew out I ended up with a fungus filled "groaty" toe nail for maybe 5 years - soft, yellow, ugh. This was a long time ago so I don't remember the details. At some point, I got a massive injection of penicillin for something (I swear it wasn't an STD) and voila, that nail cleared up. I never had another problem with it.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:00 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I did the Lamisil thing. It made me a little queasy for the three months I took it. My toenails looked better for a year and now they look bad again. Not gross or anything, just not nice. Whatever ...
dt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:24 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Cut sugar/refined carbs/out of your diet, and start treatment (topical or oral).

Fungus/yeast just love sugar.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:27 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Method for removing nail? Pliers?
The fungus causes the nail to separate from the rest of the toe, so yes, pliers work(s) nicely. To achieve good separation, you gotta cut the nail aggressively often and do a little digging around the edges.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:33 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
The fungus causes the nail to separate from the rest of the toe, so yes, pliers work(s) nicely. To achieve good separation, you gotta cut the nail aggressively often and do a little digging around the edges.
So you guys are not only DIY auto mechanics, home remodelers and financial planners, you are also DIY surgeons

Ha
Old 11-30-2006, 07:43 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
So you guys are not only DIY auto mechanics, home remodelers and financial planners, you are also DIY surgeons
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Not good. I've seen a few toes and feet lost to posterity from home "care."

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:03 AM   #18

I had, not a nail fungus exactly, but something that was affecting the top layers of skin just under the nails on most of my fingers and toes. I chalked this up to gardening or generally being in contact with new fungi after moving from the US.

The $$$ oily paint-on fungicide I tried didn't seem to help, so I started blotting my finger- and toe-tips with cider vinegar on a cotton ball (white vinegar would probably work, too, but the cider smelled nicer). Cleared it up completely in just a week or two, and I was not even all that diligent about application (maybe I did this about 5-6 times in all). This may not work in all cases, but I think most kinds of nail fungus don't like an acidic environment.

Worth a try since it costs nearly nothing and no side effects (except smelling a bit like a tossed salad).
Here's hoping for less groady feet!

P.S. I would also try to go around barefoot or in sandals when possible (perhaps not out to dinner at this point!), reapply the vinegar after using soap (which is basic rather than acidic) on your feet, and make sure your socks, when you wear them, are scrupulously clean (i.e., not yesterday's )
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:03 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Not good. I've seen a few toes and feet lost to posterity from home "care."
10 toes = plenty of redundancy. You'd hardly miss one or two.

I remember my mom taking me to the doc a couple of weeks after smashing my thumb. Blood was pooled up under the nail and hurt a lot. He did "paperclip surgery": Opened up a paperclip, heated it over a flame, and melted through the nail. The blood/etc jetted out and my thumb felt better immediately (the nail fel off a while later). This made several impressions on this 8 YO boy:
-- "Wow, cool!"
-- "Hey, I could have done that myself"

To preserve the sanctity of medical trade secrets/decorum, doctors really shouldn't let patients see this kind of thing directly, and they should use some kind of $5000 instrument to perform the procedure.

samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:54 AM   #20

I kept my tootsies done up red for quite a while and then noticed a yellowish hue and thickening. Stopped the polish and began using Rubbing Alcohol or Hydrogen Peroxide on a cotton ball after the morning rain room dance. It took a while to grow out, but the difference was noticeable within about 3 or 4 weeks as I recall. Only affected my big toes. Now when I paint up (the toes) it is only left on for a week then back to nude.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote