Nearly half a billion people globally now have diabetes

I have to assume there is some of that factoring in. My mother turned 75 and she was marked for the first time as pre-diabetic and as of last doc visit she is considered diabetic. I may be mistaken but I was under the understanding it takes usually 10 years to get to any kidney damage and 15-25 to get to kidney failure, so a diagnosis that late in life is not likely going to be the determining factor in her longevity and won't really impact the health care system as much more likely some other issue arises first.

Yep grandmother was diagnosed with diabetes at age 85...little point in modifying her lifestyle at that age.

Which is odd because our life expectancy is higher than years past even though we are a fast food nation by personal choice in general.

Other factors come into play, such as a reduction in infant mortality, medical advances to address childhood diseases, medical advances to allow people with various illnesses to live longer, safer food production, reduction in non-medical related deaths, etc.

Children are also drinking an incredible amount of calories from sugar including HFCS.

Lustig’s work really puts it into stark perspective.
In restaurants as an example there are free refills of soda in my area. That just adds to the excess sugar intake by personal choice. In my time there were no vending or soda machines in my school. Only the boxed lunch in my GI Joe lunch box .

Seed oils are linked to insulin resistance, macular degeneration and other ailments. It's the linoleic acid. For more info-this guy is a good source. --https://yelling-stop.blogspot.com/2021/05/the-seed-oilcovid-19.html Start at around the 7 minute mark.

Very though provoking how our oils have changed. All of his claims are based on peer reviewed science. His name is Tucker Goodrich.

And another good overview article by Mercola How Linoleic Acid Wrecks Your Health --https://www.naturalblaze.com/2020/12/how-linoleic-acid-wrecks-your-health.html

Last edited:
Seed and nut oils are linked to insulin resistance, macular degeneration and other ailments. It's the linoleic acid. For more info-this guy is a good source. --https://yelling-stop.blogspot.com/2021/05/the-seed-oilcovid-19.html Very though provoking how our oils have changed. All of his claims are based on peer reviewed science. His name is Tucker Goodrich.
That’s interesting, because there are still a lot of respected nutrition sites encouraging people to increase their linoleic acid intake even though it’s an omega 6 oil. They encourage using polyunsaturated oils to replace saturated fat in the diet to reduce CVD - although there are tons of recent papers showing no link to saturated fat and perhaps even some benefit.

Personally I avoid the seed oils, or any mostly polyunsaturated oils aka “vegetable” oils.

Last edited:
Seed oils are linked to insulin resistance, macular degeneration and other ailments. It's the linoleic acid.

I stopped buying and consuming industrial seed oils a long time ago, after reading about them, how they are made, and how unhealthy they are (and that includes vegetable oil and canola oil, which are basically in the same category). They are a relatively recent addition to human diets - we have never consumed anything like them for most of our evolutionary history. The L.A./Omega 6 is bad enough, but they also contain chemical residues, trans fats, and oxidized byproducts, none of which are healthy. Here is a short article about them, and how they are made (which may make you sick just reading it).

https://chriskresser.com/how-industrial-seed-oils-are-making-us-sick/

Pssst. It's the food.

Check out how the high fat/cholesterol/processed food trend (western diet) precedes diabetes.

They encourage using polyunsaturated oils to replace saturated fat in the diet to reduce CVD - although there are tons of recent papers showing no link to saturated fat and perhaps even some benefit.

Humans have been consuming saturated fat through our entire evolutionary history - our bodies are obviously designed to utilize it. The industrial seed oils are unlike anything we consumed for the vast majority of that time. The big food companies started pushing these industrial oils onto the market when they discovered how cheap they were to make, and thus how big their profit margins would be. Most restaurants use them for that same reason - they are relatively cheap, compared to healthy oils like olive oil, avocado oil, beef tallow, butter, ghee, etc..

Some nutrition researchers now believe that industrial seed oils may be the biggest contributor to chronic disease in the Standard American Diet. Even if you do not consume seed oils directly, they are added to many, many processed foods...........check the labels on things like crackers, cookies, bread, chips, etc., and you will usually find one or more of these oils in the list of ingredients.

I’m curious, if canola oil is a bad choice, what are good high smoke point oils that are better? We were using avocado oil for a while, but it’s so expensive I switched back. I also couldn’t find anything suggesting it was better.

And thanks to the op for starting this thread. I have a new primary care dr in the last few years and hadn’t noticed he wasn’t doing hba1c. Annoying.

I’m curious, if canola oil is a bad choice, what are good high smoke point oils that are better? We were using avocado oil for a while, but it’s so expensive I switched back. I also couldn’t find anything suggesting it was better.

And thanks to the op for starting this thread. I have a new primary care dr in the last few years and hadn’t noticed he wasn’t doing hba1c. Annoying.

*Oil, even the finest olive oil, is 100% fat, calorically-dense and nutrient-poor. Oil injures the endothelium, the innermost lining of the artery, and that injury is the gateway to vascular disease. For those with known heart disease, even adding a little oil can have a negative impact on heart health.

Unless you are cooking stuff at an extremely high temperature, several of the healthier oils would be suitable. Here is one list, showing the smoke points for various healthy oils:

These oils are the best to cook with due to having high smoke points, a high resistance to oxidation, and high antioxidant levels.
Coconut Oil

Smoke Point: 350ºF
Coconut oil is almost pure saturated fat, making it one of the best oils around to cook with. While it has a medium smoke point, the lack of double bonds makes it stable under high heat. (20)
Animal Fats (Lard and Tallow)

Smoke Point: 370ºF
While animal fats aren’t technically oils, they are excellent for cooking. The saturated fatty acids help resist oxidation and heat damage, leading to higher smoke points. (21)
Macadamia Nut Oil

Smoke Point: 390ºF
Macadamia nut oil has an excellent balance between monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats, making it more stable under heat due to having fewer double bonds. (22)
Olive Oil

Smoke Point: 405ºF
Olive oil is made up of mostly monounsaturated fats, making it a relatively stable oil in the face of heat. (23, 24) In addition, extra virgin olive oil contains many antioxidants, including vitamin E, which help it resist oxidation. (25)
Avocado Oil

Smoke Point: 520ºF
Avocado oil is the best choice for high heat cooking, with the highest smoke point of 520ºF. (26) That’s because it is mostly made up of monounsaturated fat, which helps it resist forming free radicals when heated.
How to Properly Store Oils

The way you store your oils can have a significant impact on retaining their smoke points, minimizing oxidation and avoiding rancidity.
As a general rule, you want to store oils in a cool, dark place. Exposure to heat and light (especially sunlight) can cause an oil to go rancid faster. (27)
The Bottom Line

It’s important to be aware of the varying smoke points of oils before cooking with them. Fortunately, oils made from Paleo foods tend to be the best to cook with. This makes it easy to choose the right oil to roast and fry without hesitation.

*Oil, even the finest olive oil, is 100% fat, calorically-dense and nutrient-poor. Oil injures the endothelium, the innermost lining of the artery, and that injury is the gateway to vascular disease. For those with known heart disease, even adding a little oil can have a negative impact on heart health.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with this. There is nothing unhealthy about consuming the right types of fat (the types of fat our bodies evolved to utilize). In fact, consuming a reasonable amount of these fats is critical for good health. And these fats are not necessarily nutrient-poor, either. Butter and ghee are rich in fat-soluble vitamins and trace minerals. Olive oil is high in antioxidants. Avocado oil has folate and Vitamin E.

The whole "saturated fat is bad for heart health" message started back in the 60s, and was based on badly-flawed studies that have since been debunked. There is a TON of more recent research which basically all disproves the notion that saturated fat in reasonable amounts is harmful to us.

Here is one article that summarizes some of the more recent knowledge on fats, and which ones are the best to consume.

https://draxe.com/nutrition/healthy-fats/

I know these threads on nutrition usually devolve into a disagreement about fats and related things, so I will just leave it at that. I would urge anyone who has questions about this to do your own research........there are many, many studies from the last several decades that are available online, for those interested.

I generally use olive oil for cold and warm foods, and avocado oil for when high heat is needed. Olive oil and high heat don't play well together. OTOH, on the very rare occasion where I have to fry up some food I use Canola oil since it is much cheaper than Avocado oil. I use it so rarely, that I am not concerned with any long term health issues from Canola oil. (Given how rarely I fry things, I should probably pop for the avocado oil. Blow that Dough, right?)

I have avoided seed oils for decades. I guess it's my Italian genes, but the idea of making pesto from soybean oil, or sprinkling corn oil on my veggies makes my blood boil.

I know these threads on nutrition usually devolve into a disagreement about fats and related things, so I will just leave it at that. I would urge anyone who has questions about this to do your own research........there are many, many studies from the last several decades that are available online, for those interested.

Yes, please do your own research. As noted, these threads almost always end up with counter-arguments (based on firmly held opinions) thrown back and forth. More of a debate between religions than anything truly helpful. Since you can find published studies to prove any random point you want to make, claiming you have the science on your side is a bit disingenuous in most cases.

I generally use olive oil for cold and warm foods, and avocado oil for when high heat is needed. Olive oil and high heat don't play well together. OTOH, on the very rare occasion where I have to fry up some food I use Canola oil since it is much cheaper than Avocado oil. I use it so rarely, that I am not concerned with any long term health issues from Canola oil. (Given how rarely I fry things, I should probably pop for the avocado oil. Blow that Dough, right?)
I don’t use olive oil for very high heat: 400+.

But tests show that good quality olive oil, even extra virgin, holds up quite well even at high heat, doesn’t create bad-for-you compounds, is quite stable etc.

I don’t do any deep frying. I may roast or grill things at the higher temps.

Yes, please do your own research. As noted, these threads almost always end up with counter-arguments (based on firmly held opinions) thrown back and forth. More of a debate between religions than anything truly helpful. Since you can find published studies to prove any random point you want to make, claiming you have the science on your side is a bit disingenuous in most cases.

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Yes, they tend to devolve into discussions that go nowhere. Mostly they prove that the Dunning-Kruger curve is spot-on. IOW, our perceived knowledge is actually less than our real knowledge. Those with a little knowledge often sound more certain than the very knowledgeable experts who realize how much they actually don't know.

Alas, I have had my own Mt. Stupid moments. More than I care to admit.

Attachments

• dunning-kruger graph.png
    dunning-kruger graph.png
    138.8 KB · Views: 25
I'll have to respectfully disagree with this. There is nothing unhealthy about consuming the right types of fat (the types of fat our bodies evolved to utilize). In fact, consuming a reasonable amount of these fats is critical for good health. And these fats are not necessarily nutrient-poor, either. Butter and ghee are rich in fat-soluble vitamins and trace minerals. Olive oil is high in antioxidants. Avocado oil has folate and Vitamin E.

The whole "saturated fat is bad for heart health" message started back in the 60s, and was based on badly-flawed studies that have since been debunked. There is a TON of more recent research which basically all disproves the notion that saturated fat in reasonable amounts is harmful to us.

Here is one article that summarizes some of the more recent knowledge on fats, and which ones are the best to consume.

https://draxe.com/nutrition/healthy-fats/

People can discuss topics without one side getting their hackles up and immediately pulling out the "science" card.

Do you agree that oils are calorically dense and nutritionally void? How about just calorically dense?

Let's say you are a current heart patient and have heart disease. How much "healthy oil" should you consume?

So step back a few years. You are not yet a heart patient and do not yet have heart disease. How much "healthy oil" should one consume at this stage of life?

Or say you are 25 and are "certain" you do not have heart disease yet even though signs of heart disease can be detected at 9-12 years old now. Now how much "healthy oil" should one consume?

These are tricky questions. With 50% obese and 75% overweight, now how much "healthy oil" should one consume per day?

Take a cup of broccoli. Now add 1/8th cup oil. What does that do to the calorie count?

At a restaurant, the salad has oil. The vegies have oil. The potato product has oil. The meat is seared in oil. The bread may be served with oil to dip in on the side. It is an oil-stravaganza.

Do you think the Mediterranean people were healthier because of the oil or because of the other food they ate?

I agree that everyone should do their due diligence. The "fat is healthy" voices are much louder than anyone else. Yes, eat bacon for every meal and drink the grease after. Bacon in olive oil is certainly healthier then. Double up the pleasure.

You can call me stupid by any means necessary. Dunning is my middle name. :D

Yeah, the old fat is good fat is bad argument.

Reminds me of visiting the dermatologist who admonishes me to avoid the sun and if I must go out in it, to layer on the SPF30+ sunscreen. Then my regular doctor mentions that I should make sure I get outside and get some healthy sunshine.

I'm just glad I always do what my doctor's recommend.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British and Americans.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British and Americans.

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British and Americans.

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British and Americans.

5. The Germans drink a lot of beers and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British and Americans.

CONCLUSION:
Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you!!.😂

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British and Americans.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British and Americans.

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British and Americans.

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British and Americans.

5. The Germans drink a lot of beers and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British and Americans.

CONCLUSION:
Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you!!.��

How do the British, Canadians, Australians, and New Zealanders fare, relative to Americans?

If they do better than Americans, then it has to be their accents.

PS. I have read that Japanese who emigrate to the US suffer the same maladies as the natives. Another proof that English is bad for you.

How do the British, Canadians, Australians, and New Zealanders fare, relative to Americans?

PS. I have read that Japanese who emigrate to the US suffer the same maladies as the natives. Another proof that English is bad for you.

Foods in the above mentioned countries are so expensive to buy in the grocery stores that they cannot afford to eat much.

Americans are somewhat fortunate in one way to have such affordable foods. But on the other side, cheap food allows us to "pig out" on a daily basis, get overweight and have diabetes which causes us to have heart conditions, renal failure and ultimately premature deaths. That's it in a nutshell.

Foods in the above mentioned countries are so expensive to buy in the grocery stores that they cannot afford to eat much.

Americans are somewhat fortunate in one way to have such affordable foods. But on the other side, cheap food allows us to "pig out" on a daily basis, get overweight and have diabetes which causes us to have heart conditions, renal failure and ultimately premature deaths. That's it in a nutshell.

I know we have posters here who are British, Canadians, Australians, and New Zealanders.

Any of you care to speak up to confirm that you do not eat much due to high prices of food? :D

PS. It's been more than 20 years since I was to Australia and New Zealand, but I have been to Canada more recently. I am afraid to say, I do not see much difference in girth size of Canadians vs. Americans. And I have read that Canadians also have an obesity problem. I have not researched into their diabetic condition.

Last edited:
Here is an interesting video I just ran across on the affects of sugar on our bodies..kind of like the super size me movie. Its a pretty well done journey of a guy in Australia who was eating a healthy low carb diet who switched to a typical diet with all the hidden sugars we consume and what happens to him over just 60 days.

https://youtu.be/SNr71oGoZC8

Be interesting to hear some opinions on it. It was enough to prompt wife and I to get an action plan together to get as much of those hidden sugars out of our lives.

The British are as bad off as the Americans. And I think the Canadians about the same. I can't speak for the other countries although I think Australia has a lot of trouble too.

I still remember an incidence back in 2003 in Italy. We were in Sorrento, walking down a long sloped street called Luigi de Maio to go to the marina to take a ferry to the island of Capri. We saw a group of elementary students, led by a teacher on a field trip. They were going in the reverse direction up the street, while we were going down.

There was a chubby girl, who could not keep up with her class mates. She was crying, and the teacher stayed behind with her to console her. The rest of the class was moving on, chattering between themselves. I did not see any kid taunting or bullying the poor girl. She just felt isolated.

Back then, which was only 20 years ago, I saw few overweight people in Europe. In recent trips, I saw that they were catching up with Americans, though still a few steps behind. Slim people were becoming a minority.

Back
Top Bottom