Need Advice on Groin Pull

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Two years ago I suffered a groin pull (strained hip adductors) on my left hip. I slid playing squash and there it was. Ice and rest for a while seemed to take care of it.

Lately I have been exercising in high volume- mostly walking and some sprinting. Nothing very trying.

But my groin pull seems to be reactivated. I can be walking along and suddenly I get a stabbing pain that makes me feel like I might fall to the ground and makes me want to cry out. Then it’s gone. It never hurts when I am not on the leg.

I need to keep exercising because of various other health issues that seem to be held at bay by keeping on trucking, so I am looking for some aggressive method of dealing with this injury. I am thinking stretches and maybe using adductor-abductor machines, plus any other hip machines that my gym has. I am a bit afraid of squatting as I don't want to hit the floor with a barbell on top of me!

Any suggestions as to stretches and or exercises or anything else?

Thanks, ha

I'm a back-muscle-pull man myself, by try googling groin pull exercises, etc. if you haven't already. I believe consistent back exercises have helped me avoid injuries (to the muscles, at least :( ).

But my groin pull seems to be reactivated. I can be walking along and suddenly I get a stabbing pain that makes me feel like I might fall to the ground and makes me want to cry out. Then it’s gone. It never hurts when I am not on the leg.

If your avatar is your personal trainer then that might be one cause of your symptoms!

Dumb question-- I know you dance but how sure are you that the pain is coming from a pulled adductor? This is also an area suspectible to nerve pinches (like sciataca), lower-back strains that express their symptoms in other areas, or even a tear. (I once had a knee pain that turned out to be caused by a tight iliotibial band.) So maybe the first step would be an exam with a sports physician or a physical therapist.

I need to keep exercising because of various other health issues that seem to be held at bay by keeping on trucking, so I am looking for some aggressive method of dealing with this injury. I am thinking stretches and maybe using adductor-abductor machines, plus any other hip machines that my gym has. I am a bit afraid of squatting as I don't want to hit the floor with a barbell on top of me!
Any suggestions as to stretches and or exercises or anything else?

600-800 mg of ibuprofen before walks or other significant exertion.
Swimming, especially with flip turns (squatting & thrusting).
Cycling, with caution if you haven't done much of it.

In the long term, I've done wonderful things to my adductors & hamstrings with the book "Stretching Scientifically". Neither one of us is ever likely to pose with the author but I have no problem kicking anything at head height without notice. He's an opinionated & somewhat authoritarian Eastern European, and you shouldn't push his stretches until your injury has healed, but once you're comfortable with his stretches you won't re-injure yourself. His passive stretches hold positions for 30-60 seconds (without bouncing) to let the muscles gradually stretch and accomodate to the extension.

Especially effective is his concept of stretching into a comfortable position, clenching the leg muscles hard for 15 seconds, then relaxing and quickly stretching a bit farther, clenching for another 15 seconds, relaxing & going another bit farther, and so on for a minute. Repeat once or twice more, and then don't do it again for a couple days.

Speaking of caution, the following picture of an adductor stretch may make you wince:

http://www.drbackman.com/adductor-thigh-lga.jpg

Last edited:
Have a nephew who heard his parents talking about the growing spurt he was going through. We don't let him forget that he told lotsa people about his groin spurt.

Nords...
your link seems to have an extra http// in it. The stretching scientifically one.

Sorry to hear about your injury, I know just how painful and frustrating a groin pull or injury can be. I had a recurring injury that dogged me for years. I finally beat it by going to a "Sports Medicine" facility. The Doctor there gave me ultrasound therapy 1x per week for about 6 months, and put me on a regimen of hip stabilization exercises, "core" work with a balance ball, and gentle stretches.

DH and I (and a couple of family members and friends now) have had very good success with these types of injuries (soft-tissue-related pain) by going to practitioners of Active Release Therapy (Active Release Techniques®). The people we've been to have been chiropractors, but physical therapists and others can also be certified.

Essentially, they work on the problem area (or whatever's causing it, as with Nords' IT band) manually, and also give you stretches and exercises to do at home. We have found it to be very effective, as have the five or so others that we've recommended it to, with injuries ranging from acute to very long-term.

Thanks for these suggestions. I have Kurtz' book, so I started doing the ballistic or swinging leg stretches each am, and it is definitely helping some.

I also see that there are a number of Active Release chiropracters nearby so I might well call one of them.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom