Need help - hate gyms

gayl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I really hate going into gym's so I've managed to increase my activity by speed walking 2.5 to 3 miles a day changing elevations (live at base of a mountain) leaving me breathless at the end. Whereas that's great for my bone density (at 1.1) and heart rate, it doesn't do much for my upper body, primarily arms. Can you suggest something that will help with firming up those upper arms?

carry some small dumbells and do curls or presses as you walk

Dumbells, push-ups and pull ups. Start small with 3-5lb while walking, then actually focus a portion of your total workout to strength training and a portion to cardio. They also make resistance bands that would work. I bought some handles and screwed them to 2x4 and wrap the resistance band around the handle. Mounted a couple handles in various positions so I can go low, High or in the middle when I pull.

Swimming. Unless you hate pools, or your only pool is in a gym.

My city has excellent public pools for a very reasonable price, with a huge senior discount.

Yes, dumbbells don't take up much space and can work your muscles very well. Pushups are another great exercise that requires zero equipment. I have a pull-up bar that fits in a doorway and can be installed or removed in about a second.

Google and utube have it all.

I'd also suggest barbells.

I don't hate gyms - I just don't like to exercise, ha.

"Triangle" push-ups are good for triceps (the upper arm muscles that sag when you hold your arms out):

(Really the best thing is tricep dips, but then we're back to the gym unless you can rig up a dip stand in your home).

Do the ones that you strap on your wrists count? Right hand cut off in a significant injury. It was reattached but it's hard for me to hold things for a significant amount of time. But if wrist weights count, then I'm putting in an order for Dick's Sporting Goods Black Friday sale

Last edited:
An upper body workout using adjustable dumbbells. I have Bowflex adjustable dumbbells and they work fine and take up very little room. Haven't been to a gym in many years.

Bowflex SelectTech | Bowflex

+1 I have a set of the Bowflex dumbbells and there isn't much you can't do with them, helps to also have a decent flat or reclining weight bench for some dumbbell exercises.

You really don't need to do much more strength than pushups and a good core workout. Pullups are good too if you're feeling really froggy.

Do the ones that you strap on your wrists count? Right hand cut off in a significant injury. It was reattached but it's hard for me to hold things for a significant amount of time. But if wrist weights count, then I'm putting in an order for Dick's Sporting Goods Black Friday sale

Read a long time ago that using weights while you walk isn't beneficial. Don't remember why. Maybe something to do with your form while walking and doing the exercise correctly. I keep my walking separate and don't know that I'd want to lug weights for 5 or 6 miles. I do chair dips, forearm planks, dumbbell curls. I don't know why but pushups are hard for me to do but have no problem doing several different kinds of planks.

The most important thing with dumbbells, pushups or any exercise. Do it slow, deliberate in proper form. Fast, jerky motions do not exercises the designated muscle, and increase the chance for injury.

Wow, I'm so sorry about your hand! What a lot for you to have to adapt to!

I wonder if putting your weight on the re-attached hand (to do push-ups) might be an issue?

You really don't need to do much more strength than pushups and a good core workout. Pullups are good too if you're feeling really froggy.

I do push ups and crunches 3 X per week - 3 sets each to muscle failure. That's enough for me. (plus 3 to 5 mile hikes 5-6 days per week). For the push ups, I do diamond (triceps focus, standard, and wide (pectoral focus).

The beauty for me is needing absolutely no equipment besides shoes and clothes. :)

Maybe I just don't "get it", since I love my gym. But anyway my sincere and well intentioned advice, is to try different gyms! Surely there is one near you that you would love too. Gyms are very different from one another, in atmosphere, equipment, types of people that go there, employees, sounds, open air feeling, classes, and so on.

If you find a gym you love, it could change your life! Or, at least it could change your workout. :D

Not sure, Amethyst, but need to do something! Found a 3lb & a 2.5lb babybell weights in the garage. Starting there (lighter one on right.... yep, unbalanced). No excuses

W2R, some people just don't like to be inside .... different strokes for different folks

RedBadger, great examples :)

Last edited:
Weights for building muscle, and a rowing machine for full-body muscular endurance. I love my Concept 2 rower. Turn up the volume and turn on the subtitles with your favorite streaming service, and row away!

Weights for building muscle, and a rowing machine for full-body muscular endurance. I love my Concept 2 rower. Turn up the volume and turn on the subtitles with your favorite streaming service, and row away!

Better yet, find a lake or river to paddle or row outdoors.

I belong to a gym, just so I have an option in really bad weather. Over the past couple of years my definition of "really bad" gets more and more narrow. At some point I should probably cancel my membership.

Dumbbells, bike riding, golf and yard work is pretty much it for exercise. Oh yes....walking the mutt daily. I could probably use more upper body work but not going to worry about it.

Already you have a lot of great suggestions. I think youtube.com should be the first place you look for exercises that are suitable for you and that you might like. The videos are quite instructive and browsing for exercises is sort of interesting.

I do all the things already mentioned except go to the gym. I'll put in another plug for resistance bands which are inexpensive and found at big box sports stores or online. Videos on youtube.com show numerous ways on how to use them. They are a lot easier than weights, so are good for starting.

Back
Top Bottom