Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
It appears to me that it would hurt as much to remove them as it did to put them in....

1. Why? Were the plates and screws causing some kind of problem?

2. Did you request removal or did your surgeon recommend removal?

3. did your insurance pay for the removal?
Ankle

The pain from removing them is nowhere near what it was like for the original surgery. The removal was really a non-event. It was done outpatient and I could immediately bear weight and it was just no big deal at all. I barely remember the removal it was so much a big nothing.

1. Not really. I could feel one of the screws through the skin if I tried to do so and could feel it if I laid my leg a certain way and it hurt a little. Wasn't a big deal.

2. Surgeon suggested it mildly, but didn't push it. He said it was optional but recommended it to avoid future problems.

3. Mine injury was under workers' comp. Workers' comp had no difficulty paying for it.

Jaw

20+ years ago I had jaw surgery and have titanium screws in my job. They are still there and I've never felt or noticed anything with them.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
A couple of questions for those who have had plates and screws removed. It appears to me that it would hurt as much to remove them as it did to put them in. This is not merely academic. I have had for years a couple of plates and numerous screws.

1. Why? Were the plates and screws causing some kind of problem?

2. Did you request removal or did your surgeon recommend removal?

3. did your insurance pay for the removal?
In my case one of the screws were not set properly and everytime i walked and the ground was uneven I wold feel pain. This was because there was a tendon that ran right over cross one of the screws during each motion. I looked at the x-rays and could see that the one screw was sticking up a bit. It was not countersunk flush, it was in on an angle. I showed this to the surgeon but he said no it was fine and would not be causing the problem. This went back and forth for close to a year and then I finally told him to take them out now, he still argued with me but did it and my pain was gone immediately. He was a brass new surgeon and wouldn't admit that he could do anything less than perfect.
Doesn't hurt to get them removed. You have to remember when you had the original surgery done there was trauma in the area so everything is painful due to the inflammation. When you have the screws, plates etc taken out later there is no additional trauma so the healing process is quick and nothing but a little discomfort where the incision is made. No big deal at all.
I don't recall having any insurance issue.
Good luck to you
twolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I went in for what was hopefully my last Dr. appoinment for the ankle I fractured on 1/2/13. I was told I can quit wearing the ankle brace and I can slowly start back on the eliptical and work back up to running on the treadmill and lifting weights.

I walked to the train this AM (a little over a mile) then went to the gym and did 1/2 hour on the bike and 3 minutes on the elipitical machine. I'm just going to slowly build up.

My ankle is a little sore, but I think it is from being restrained.

Good luck, OP. I'm guessing you will be back 100%.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Katsmeow, twolfy,

Thanks for the replies. My plates and screws are not bothering me at all now after several years and I have sufficient fat that I can't feel the plates and screws under the skin. So, I will leave them be for now.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I feel for you, OP.

I tore ligaments in my ankle 10 years ago and did it again 3 weeks ago. Doctor told me that a break might have been better because I would be forced to stay off of it and let it heal.

It is such a slow healing process especially since I'm 10 years older.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

OP here again. Was cleared to work on weight bearing by my surgeon! Been working with PT on range of motion exercises for a month, now working on my first steps again. PT expects me to be crutch free in 1-1.5 weeks, and out of my walking boot in another week after that.

The wrinkle is that it is not readily apparent that blood flow has been restored to the smaller bone fragments. This could lead to failure of the bone, and additional complications later. Doesn't seem like a full recovery from a break of the talus bone in the ankle is very common. However, I am looking forward to walking on my own again!
Omalley is offline   Reply With Quote