Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 10:51 AM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
A hot fire of dry wood generates very little smoke. It's hard to have a hot fire with green wood, so your theory is correct in that regard. But, you can also have a smoky fire with properly seasoned hardwoods. Just load up the stove and starve it for air. People do this to maximize burn time and reduce trips to reload the stove and, of course, just to have the stove put our less heat. This is especially true with a low tech stove.

Just sayin' that OP could buy his neighbor seasoned hardwood and still have most of the problem depending on how the neighbor runs his stove and what type of stove it is. It couldn't hurt though.

It would take:

1. Good wood
2. Good stove
3. Knowledgeable, interested stove operator willing to do things right.

The way OP has described things, it doesn't sound like there is any straight forward way to make this all happen.
Agree...mostly. Not a smoke expert but I have noticed that the smoke produced by green/wet wood is different. The "wet" smoke is more like steam to me. It tends to float closer to the ground and seems to linger....like in the pics the OP posted. Smoke from dry hardwoods seems to dissipate faster. Again...not an expert but this is what I have observed using a firepit and from neighbors that I know are burning wet/green wood.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2020, 10:54 AM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
I just knew this would be an interesting thread right from the title: Suburban folk move to rural area, then complain about rural life. It reminds me of situations here where:
* people complain about farm "smells"
* people complain about chickens (well, specifically roosters)
* people complain about the sound of gunfire in the distance

Even on the home front, the (ex) complained about new houses being proposed down the road (while living in a house that had just been recently built).

OTOH, wood stove operating properly and using seasoned wood should not be putting out smoke all day. I burn between 4-5 full chords of wood per year. I just looked outside and there is no, zero visible smoke coming out. Only when I first start up the stove or for a couple minutes after adding wood.

If your neighbor is splitting up big chunks of wood and then taking them in the house, there is an excellent chance that the wood isn't seasoned properly. In my case, I am using wood cut, split, and stacked early in 2019 and some earlier (2017, 2018). I'm cutting down trees, bucking it up, splitting and stacking wood for the 2021 winter...and even with that I am behind (should have had it done spring of 2020). Fortunately some of what I've been processing is "standing dead" trees (I own 40+ acres of mostly hardwood forest) so I think it can be ready for the next winter.

Someone also mentioned damping the fire down. This could also be an issue (and can be dangerous due to creosote build up). Combine that with green/high moisture content wood and its a bad situation. Not efficient to burn, lots of smoke, can eventually lead to a chimney fire.

Finally, I think the OP is on to something in terms of how much work to keep up a large house. My next move is smaller, and likely to not have any of the toys I've accumulated (lots of land, tractor, trailer, wood stove, steep roof, ...) I can only hope I get someone from the city who wants country life.
Thanks for your comments. He has a rooster and we hear gunshots in the distance, neither of which bother me. He is not using the stove correctly. The fire marshall was supposed to show him how to use the stove, but when the fire marshall visited me, he said, "My family had a wood fired stove as I was growing up and they smoke like that, I'm sorry, there is nothing I can do." All I can hope for is a chimney fire that burns the place down. Don't want the family hurt, just the problem solved.
Old 12-21-2020, 10:59 AM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
From what I've read here, I would expect the neighbor to be in serious danger of a chimney fire from creosote buildup. I'm a little surprised the fire inspector didn't look at that.

As to the OP's problem, we all make mistakes when choosing where to live. I certainly made my share. Fortunately, it sounds like he will be able to recover from this one.
Yes, I'm surprised the fire marshall did not closely inspect the stove and did not educate about chimney fires (the stove by rare chance was operating with less smoke than usual when the fire marshall visited).

Yes, we will get through this.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:12 AM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Walter View Post
Sorry to hear that.
In the meantime, you can get a box fan or two and tape some good quality furnace filters to the back of them and help clean the indoor air.

I dealt with neighbor issues in the past and it's nerve wracking at best. Moving might be your best bet and in the end you might come out ahead (maybe a better place or better floor plan, etc).
I got 3 box fans with MERV 13 filters duct taped to them. One draws in outside air.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:18 AM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I think OP should move, and it sounds like he is highly considering it.

Why? My sister went through something like this. She started seeing every possible defect in a house they bought and had severe buyer's remorse. The thing is, after a year of fret, it morphed into major depression. If your brain keeps getting bathed in negative thoughts, you are at risk of serious, clinical, major depression. This meant it went way beyond the house. Major depression is not to be taken lightly.

She got out of it through therapy and medical treatment. Part of the treatment was to sell the house, even though it was only 2 1/2 years old. She did, moved a few miles away, and I'm happy to report that she got out of this very scary episode and is doing well 15 years later.
Thanks JoeWras. I can see that happening to me. This has been consuming me over the last couple of weeks, not from an anger perspective, but one of fear and disappointment. Not sure why, but is and perhaps the pandemic has something to do with it. I think a nice day trip with DW down the highway where them air is cleaner would do is good.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:20 AM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
I don't know what AQI has to do with your situation. Obviously your problem is worse than where the AQI is measured.
That got me wondering if there are personal AQI devices, yes there are.
Here's a review, https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...ality-monitor/
I don't know how this would help you though, you already know it is bad enough for consideration to move away from it.
It may help monitor air quality while you make improvements to air infiltration.
Thanks Time2, I've wondered if these are available. I'll take a look.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:34 AM   #107
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateW View Post
Thanks JoeWras. I can see that happening to me. This has been consuming me over the last couple of weeks, not from an anger perspective, but one of fear and disappointment. Not sure why, but is and perhaps the pandemic has something to do with it. I think a nice day trip with DW down the highway where them air is cleaner would do is good.
My sister wasn't angry either, just fearful. But she also had small kids and felt latched to the house, which made it more intense. Therefore, I think your suggestion of going on down the highway on a nice day is excellent! Get away from the situation for a while, enjoy some nice air. Maybe you can get to the Blue Ridge parkway or something. A day with sun and crisp winter scenes can do wonders.

Old 12-21-2020, 12:11 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
.... As for selling the house, you will have a disclosure issue. You now are fully aware of this issue and denying it will put you at risk financially when the sellers find out. ...
I'm not so sure since the disclosure is of defects with the house, not the neighborhood. For example, if the school that serves that neighborhood was crap... worst in the US.. the seller would not need to disclose that. This smoke issue seems to be more in that category to me than a defect specific to the house.

You need to disclose faults with the property... but not the neighborhood.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 12-21-2020, 12:39 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

That's what I was trying to think of before. The "fault" is the behavior of an obnoxious neighbor; if those had to be disclosed, nobody would ever sell a home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

Old 12-21-2020, 12:55 PM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

Legal actions

1. Move
2. Buy & use air filter
3. Talk NICELY to smokey neighbor (who is in the right legally) and see if there is a compromise
4. Buy smokeys house :-)
Old 12-21-2020, 12:55 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, I'm surprised the fire marshall did not closely inspect the stove
There are probably legal limits as to his "inspection"...you know, that whole due process thing and all.

And wishing their house to burn down? Nice.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:28 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

I agree with the poster that you provide the neighbor properly seasoned wood (starting about a week before you list your house) IN EXCHANGE for what they are using at the moment. You can stack it on your property and tell them that they can have it back when your house sells.

Agree with increasing the efficiency of your air filter system. Short term those stand-alone filter units are great but I would remove them when selling the house.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:44 PM   #113

Quote:
I'm not so sure since the disclosure is of defects with the house, not the neighborhood. For example, if the school that serves that neighborhood was crap... worst in the US.. the seller would not need to disclose that. This smoke issue seems to be more in that category to me than a defect specific to the house.

And I think the key here is do not even think of selling By Owner. Wait till Spring, get an agent, and let them price it to sell fast. Do not be home for any showings, do not attend the closing - make this 100% a business transaction, with no opportunity to even be asked things that might slip.

Delete the FB posts now, speak to no other neighbors about it.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:49 PM   #114
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
And I think the key here is do not even think of selling By Owner. Wait till Spring, get an agent, and let them price it to sell fast. Do not be home for any showings, do not attend the closing - make this 100% a business transaction, with no opportunity to even be asked things that might slip.

Agreed. Speaking as someone who despised the last house we lived in for 23 years, don't stay. It really doesn't get better. Also realize where you move to might have its own set of annoyances. I'm learning that now, albeit a lot less and more manageable than our previous house.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:11 PM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post

This is one reason when we look at homes, I ask the agent if the owner can be present. They usually comply. My strategy is to have my wife talk to the agent and then I walk around with the owner and complement things around the house and property and then let them do most of the talking. They usually let things slip without knowing.

For example, one house we looked at the owner stated there is small airplane noise due to a small airport being close by...major red flag. He also said there was very strict rules about what can be done with the property such as even cutting a branch on an oak tree. Another major red flag. We ended up passing on that.

Wait till spring, when the air is clear and put it on the market if nothing gets resolved.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:20 PM   #116
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Virginia puts the onus on the buyer to do due diligence and the disclosure statement signed by the seller states he makes no claims as to the fitness of the property and provides warranties or similar wording and notes the buyer should do their due diligence prior to purchase.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:22 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Walter View Post
He also said there was very strict rules about what can be done with the property such as even cutting a branch on an oak tree. Another major red flag. We ended up passing on that.
We see that a lot with the HOAs here in Central Texas. Unfortunately, a lot wasn't spelled out in the area we moved into because the 120 house tract was still in a building phase when we purchased a lot late in 2018. The HOA was held by a holding company and not much other than the basics were spelled out. The last house build completed in May 2020.

So, just this past week we received both an email and snail mail about the rules and regulations for our HOA. Nearly everything outside must be approved by the HOA, and heck, I think if I want to replace some perennials I planted in April of this year, I might need that approved too (they use the word "landscape" to cover themselves).

California has its own set of regulations that drive homeowners up the wall, but I could do just about anything with the landscape I wanted. Replace a tree? No problem. Remove the lawn? No problem. Now, if the yard were to turn into an eyesore or full of weeds, that would get a reaction from city officials.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:33 PM   #118

I think you've come to the right decision: plan a move for Spring/Summer and invest in some mitigation (filtration) for the short term. It would be different if you both loved everything else about the house but that is clearly not the case. No point in trying for a permanent fix for the smoke when the other issues remain.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:01 PM   #119

TL,DR all

To exclude the smoke smell infiltration, the RAGAGEP solution is a pressurized interior so the exterior atmosphere will not infiltrate, BUT that requires an uncontaminated source of fresh air, which, sounds like, you do not have!

Therefore, SELL! And next time, beware!
Old 12-21-2020, 06:05 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
All I can hope for is a chimney fire that burns the place down.
That is very, very sick. Just sayin' ........