Join Early Retirement Today

More news on the 2020,2021 &2022 cliff
Old 03-06-2021, 06:33 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

More news on the 2020,2021 &2022 cliff

From https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/91512
Bold is mine
The bill would also eliminate a "subsidy cliff" that stops subsidies abruptly for people with incomes over 400% of the poverty level, and instead would continue the subsidies beyond the 400% level, limiting the percentage of income those higher earners pay toward their premium to 8.5%, resulting in a gradual decrease in the subsidy as income rises, she said in a phone call.

A "repayment holiday." In addition, the bill addresses the miscalculations that may have occurred at the beginning of 2020, when taxpayers using the advance tax credit had to estimate their coming year's income in order to calculate the credit they would receive. Usually, if people estimate their income too low and receive too large a credit, they have to pay back the excess the following year.

"But people's income was all over the place in 2020," and they could have ended up owing the government a lot of money. So a provision in the bill says that "just for 2020, there's a repayment holiday," said Pollitz. "People can still claim additional credits if those are due, but if their income bounced around and they earned more than projected, they don't have to repay" the extra tax credits. And there is one other provision of interest in this area -- if a person received as little as 1 week's worth of unemployment insurance, any income above 138% of the poverty level would be disregarded when calculating eligibility for tax credits. The Senate version of the bill also includes a similar provision for calculating cost-sharing subsidies.

Also from https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10....9.337315/full/
Bold is mine..
Building On The ACA
The Ways and Means proposal would make significant changes to bolster the ACA and improve marketplace access and affordability. The proposal would:

Extend ACA subsidies to higher-income people who do not currently qualify for 2021 and 2022;
Increase ACA subsidies for lower-income people who already qualify for 2021 and 2022;
Provide maximal ACA subsidies for individuals that receive unemployment benefits in 2021; and
Prevent taxpayers who misestimated their income in 2020 from having to repay excess premium tax credits at tax time.
GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2021, 06:47 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
From https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/91512
Bold is mine
The bill would also eliminate a "subsidy cliff" that stops subsidies abruptly for people with incomes over 400% of the poverty level, and instead would continue the subsidies beyond the 400% level, limiting the percentage of income those higher earners pay toward their premium to 8.5%, resulting in a gradual decrease in the subsidy as income rises, she said in a phone call.

A "repayment holiday." In addition, the bill addresses the miscalculations that may have occurred at the beginning of 2020, when taxpayers using the advance tax credit had to estimate their coming year's income in order to calculate the credit they would receive. Usually, if people estimate their income too low and receive too large a credit, they have to pay back the excess the following year.

"But people's income was all over the place in 2020," and they could have ended up owing the government a lot of money. So a provision in the bill says that "just for 2020, there's a repayment holiday," said Pollitz. "People can still claim additional credits if those are due, but if their income bounced around and they earned more than projected, they don't have to repay" the extra tax credits. And there is one other provision of interest in this area -- if a person received as little as 1 week's worth of unemployment insurance, any income above 138% of the poverty level would be disregarded when calculating eligibility for tax credits. The Senate version of the bill also includes a similar provision for calculating cost-sharing subsidies.

Also from https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10....9.337315/full/
Bold is mine..
Building On The ACA
The Ways and Means proposal would make significant changes to bolster the ACA and improve marketplace access and affordability. The proposal would:

Extend ACA subsidies to higher-income people who do not currently qualify for 2021 and 2022;
Increase ACA subsidies for lower-income people who already qualify for 2021 and 2022;
Provide maximal ACA subsidies for individuals that receive unemployment benefits in 2021; and
Prevent taxpayers who misestimated their income in 2020 from having to repay excess premium tax credits at tax time.
So, assuming this passes, what happens to the folks that already filed their 2020 federal taxes and had to repay some of their subsidies? Will the IRS circle back on these returns, or does the person have to file an amended return?

Just curious, since I always file in April.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:52 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt55.5 View Post
So, assuming this passes, what happens to the folks that already filed their 2020 federal taxes and had to repay some of their subsidies? Will the IRS circle back on these returns, or does the person have to file an amended return?

Good question, we will probably file as close to the deadline as possible. If this passes I hope turbo tax can get updated quickly.
GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:00 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
Good question, we will probably file as close to the deadline as possible. If this passes I hope turbo tax can get updated quickly.
If the politicians were thinking, if they're going to change the 2020 tax rules this late, maybe they should've extended the April 15th filing deadline.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:36 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt55.5 View Post

From what I've received as a Tax Aide volunteer, we just don't know yet. It could go either way.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:12 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post

And Medicare at age 60 as well...
This COVID relief bill doesn't address Medicare - right?
Old 03-07-2021, 09:16 AM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The subsidies are higher under 400% FPL with this bill for 2021 and 2022, and the cliff is gone.

jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:22 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchjav View Post
This COVID relief bill doesn't address Medicare - right?
I searched the bill for Medicare, it only has something about reminding people to sign up for it in a timely manner.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:46 AM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
The subsidies are higher under 400% FPL with this bill for 2021 and 2022, and the cliff is gone.

I am wondering if anyone (exchanges, someone else?) will adjust the subsidies midyear if/when the bill becomes law. And would it be retroactive to Jan 1? I would qualify for another ~$150 per month subsidy, or $1,800 per year. Otherwise, I'll have to wait until next year to get the extra money back, and I may already be getting a big refund assuming I don't get the $1,400 check if they use my 2019 return.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:31 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I am wondering if anyone (exchanges, someone else?) will adjust the subsidies midyear if/when the bill becomes law. And would it be retroactive to Jan 1? I would qualify for another ~$150 per month subsidy, or $1,800 per year. Otherwise, I'll have to wait until next year to get the extra money back, and I may already be getting a big refund assuming I don't get the $1,400 check if they use my 2019 return.
The law is for 2021 so they should adjust the APTC and you will get some back at tax time as well.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:15 PM   #71

I am hoping for the Medicare 60 thing to happen, but envision a compromise at 62. It dovetails with the earliest SS.
Looking at the ACA and available plans, we are still going with the union offered retiree medical at retirement time in ~23 months. My wife would be more comfortable with that level of coverage.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:02 AM   #72

Will I get a revised marketplace eligibility notice that includes the 8.5% and a revised eligible amount based on the Gold Plan?
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:17 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
Will I get a revised marketplace eligibility notice that includes the 8.5% and a revised eligible amount based on the Gold Plan?
I did see in articles that they wanted to change the subsidy calculation based on the cost of a gold plan but didn't see anything in the actual plan that was submitted. Did anyone see this change in the plan?
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:55 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I did see in articles that they wanted to change the subsidy calculation based on the cost of a gold plan but didn't see anything in the actual plan that was submitted. Did anyone see this change in the plan?
Not in this bill. This is only a temporary measure that gives more subsidies.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:28 AM   #75

Quote:
Not in this bill. This is only a temporary measure that gives more subsidies.
I agree with your "Not in this bill" as I looked and could not find that the Gold is replacing the SLSCP. What are you referring to when you say "This is only a temporary measure that gives more subsidies?"
Old 03-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #76

Quote:
I agree with your "Not in this bill" as I looked and could not find that the Gold is replacing the SLSCP. What are you referring to when you say "This is only a temporary measure that gives more subsidies?"
It is only for 2021 and 2022.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:34 AM   #77

Quote:
It is only for 2021 and 2022.
I hate to be so dense, but are you saying the 8.5% is only temporary?
Old 03-08-2021, 10:35 AM   #78

Quote:
I hate to be so dense, but are you saying the 8.5% is only temporary?
Yes.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:13 AM   #79

I'm curious to see if anyone has read or heard how the COBRA subsidies will work? My husband lost his job late last year and has been on COBRA which is running about $1000 a month. It would be helpful to know if we have to wait until 2021 tax filing or will subsidies be available prior to that?
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:52 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
I'm curious to see if anyone has read or heard how the COBRA subsidies will work? My husband lost his job late last year and has been on COBRA which is running about $1000 a month. It would be helpful to know if we have to wait until 2021 tax filing or will subsidies be available prior to that?
The bill says:

Quote:
(A) REDUCTION OF PREMIUMS PAYABLE.—In the case of any premium for a period of coverage during the period beginning on the first day of the first month beginning after the date of the enactment of this Act, and ending on September 30, 2021, for COBRA continuation coverage with respect to any assistance eligible individual described in paragraph (3), such individual shall be treated for purposes of any COBRA continuation provision as having paid the amount of such premium if such individual pays (or any person other than such individual’s employer pays on behalf of such individual) 15 percent of the amount of such premium.
This sounds to me like your premiums would immediately be reduced by 85% through September. I didn't read far enough to see whether there's some reimbursement process that the insurance company (or employer in the case of a self-insured company) would go through to be repaid for the 85% discount.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote