New Blood Pressure Guidelines

I’ve been drinking an Apple cider vinegar tonic every morning and evening for the past couple days and I’ve seen my BP drop. I monitor every day and had been in the 120/75 zone for a long long time but last week it was around 145/95 and up to 160/105 in the mornings. I hate meds so I looked for something natural and found vinegar. I knew about it and took it before, not sure why I stopped but I’m sold on it now

I didn't know this was a thread on floss. Come on admin tell these people to stay on topic.

Yes, stay on topic please.

We want to give the world at least an appearance of not being a bunch of old geezers. :D

I didn't know this was a thread on floss. Come on admin tell these people to stay on topic.

It's not a thread on floss, it's a thread on Frank Zappa music. Stay on topic.

Is that a Mexican poncho? Or is that a Sears poncho?

Laughter works!! So does exercise and sex hopefully we can move on to discussion of these other lifestyle interventions?

Last edited:
That's interesting, since my dentist blamed my caries on not flossing adequately. But research shows you're correct (Pubmed health)

I've been using prescription 1% sodium fluoride toothpaste, but lately I am also using a stannous fluoride toothpaste, since that attacks decay-causing bacteria, whereas sodium fluoride doesn't. Or at least that's what google tells me.

I read the link you provided and it says the studies were not long enough to determine that cavities were prevented or not prevented. It did say there was a significant link to the prevention of gingivitis

So your dentist could still be correct if you were not flossing, as you would have given enough time for the cavities to form.

I'll keep flossing as healthy teeth have been shown to relate to general health.

I read the link you provided and it says the studies were not long enough to determine that cavities were prevented or not prevented. It did say there was a significant link to the prevention of gingivitis

So your dentist could still be correct if you were not flossing, as you would have given enough time for the cavities to form.

I'll keep flossing as healthy teeth have been shown to relate to general health.
Right - I got out that it wasn't definitive, not that it was wrong.

I know that if I don't floss, there will still be some food stuck between teeth.

If flossing does help with gingivitis as that study indicates, then it's also probably helping with inflammation in the mouth.

Last edited:

I certainly would not want to discourage you from flossing. I floss 2x daily. It is interesting, though, that the evidence for any health benefit (heart health, caries, gingivitis, etc) is low. Some studies show very low, but statistically significant benefits, and some not. And there's no correlation to Blood Pressure, which we were reminded was the original thread.

This thread has become pretty worthless

Personally I think we're giving these new BP guidelines exactly as much gravity as they merit. Manipulation of numbers to cause more people to take medications deserves ridicule.

OTOH, manipulations of numbers to cause people to exercise and eat different things to help reduce their blood pressure is to be lauded.

I don't agree. Manipulation to change people's behavior is never a positive. Education to change people's behavior, like some of the anti-smoking campaign, was positive. But not manipulation. It reminds me of the person that is sneaking the hoarding wife's stuff out of the house. It may result in accomplishing what the husband wants, but not through positive means. Therefore, IMO, not laudable.

Back
Top Bottom