BPP
Greg
MyDream
Nords
FinanceDude
Eagle43
Martha
DanTien

Congratulations to the lucky winners. I will be sending out vouchers by the end of the week (DOG52 - no more than one prize per week, sorry).

Thanks for giving this new category the dignified and authoritative send-off it so richly deserves.
Feel free to give JG one of my vouchers. He probably needs it more than I do. :)

Nords said:
What does your spouse think of this plan, and what parts is she willing to help out with?
She doesn't care if I live to be 100, as long as the last voice I hear is hers. She offered to help in drop dead part.

DOG52 said:
Feel free to give JG one of my vouchers. He probably needs it more than I do. :)

Slick move, DOG. You're trying to back out by moving forward. ;)

BTW, Rich, Thanks for everything and the great new category, but I don't want a voucher. I'll just put my medical insurance card under my pillow and wait for a visit someday.

Rich: How about a couple of 'sticky threads' for this category:

Amusing lower-GI incident Monday

Homeopathy gone wild

Who's sicker: Republicans or Democrats?

How can a GI event be amusing??

I beleive in homeopathy to some extent.........

Of course, the healthiest would be Dems, just ask them.......... :D :D

Republicans just support big drug companies, counting on R&D to give them "superdrugs" to overcome their lack of willpower.......... :D :D :confused:

Ron'Da said:
For example, I'm diabetic. Diagnosed in 2001 (how that happened is a story in itself). In a nutshell, it's probably the best thing that ever happened to me (seriously...)

Since I'm managing it strictly by diet/exercise, I know what the "challanges" are, and how they can be addressed. I can't tell you what you should do, but I can tell you what I did, for the same situation.

- Ron

I would be very interested in this Ron. Two of my sibs are diabetic, and it appears that while I do not yet meet diagnostic criteria for DM, it seems that it likely could be in my future if I don't come up with effective interventions. Also, if they keep lowering the BG cutoff, they will likely include me in even with no change in my condition.

What do you do?

Ha

FinanceDude said:
How can a GI event be amusing??

Terrance & Phillip from South Park are always very amused by one particular lower-GI event. Of course, it's only amusing if it doesn't hurt. For example, hearing "Greg, you're not behaving like an adult, why don't you go over to the corner and sit on that stool," would amuse me and soil my pants, i.e. a lower-GI incident.

Ok, time for me to go away for a while.

All you need are a few young kids to understand lower GI event............... :eek: :eek:

HaHa said:
it seems that it likely could be in my future if I don't come up with effective interventions.

Ha,

Since I don't know your family history (and not an MD), I can't give my thoughts or opinion on what your risk is for developing diabetes. However, (if you haven't seen this yet) here's a start on some investigation for you:

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-prevention.jsp

You say that two of your siblings have diabetes. For me (based upon my own readings) this is a strong indicator of a family related condition, and you "may" be at risk. However, if your siblings did not actively "fight" (via diet/exercise) against the "pre-diabetes" condition (if indicated) and you do, your future prognosis may be much different.

One thing I will say (and any doctor will tell you the same thing) that the management of diabetes lies with you. Yes, there are doctors and medical support staff that will "guide" you, but you are the primary person to direct this support team in your "goal". Will you take responsibility for this? If so, your outcome will be much better than if you leave it "with the system".

What I'm saying is that it's a bit like doing your own financial planning (v/s giving it up to another person). You need to read, learn, experiment, and make modifications to "your plan" along the way. If you do so, you will be more successful than if you do not. Will you still have the disease if you take an active role? Yes... Will you still have to take insulin/pills? Maybe... Will you have a good (and long) life if YOU manage your disease? ABSOUTELY!!!

Hopefully, this slight intro will be of some value to you (and others?)...

- Ron

I go on vacation and come back to a new category! Great job!

So, is this actually a real place for medical questions? Cause I will spew a few of my own that I'm not embarrassed about but have hit me at an early age.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom