New Crown with the Post

oceanmd

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hello,

After a hard bite, the crown became loose and the crown with the attached post fell out.

Now, there is nothing left of the tooth above the gum line.

The original crown was placed 12 years ago after the root canals treatment.

My question: is it possible to place another post with the new crown if the root is in good condition, without a crack?

Did anybody have this done?

3-D X-ray is scheduled for next week. I am trying to educate myself about different possible options before my appointment.

Thank you

Last edited:
Not your situation but when I had a tooth break completely my dentists partner who I've never trusted told me my only option was an implant. I declined and waited till my dentist came back from vacation and he either added to or made me an entire new bridge, I can't remember which but it's still in place to this day. If you have healthy teeth on each side that might be an option for you.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/10921-dental-bridges

Last edited:
My previous dentist would never place a crown if there was not enough natural tooth left. At than point, it was extraction and implant/crown.

My question: is it possible to place another post with the new crown if the root is in good condition, without a crack?

The way you described it, I would say no. But only your dentist can answer that.

About 7 years ago I was having a tooth crowned and after they got done, I had to wear a temporary for a couple of weeks. The day before my appt (a Sunday of course) I was eating chinese food and realized I had a loose crown in my mouth. I spit what food I had in there and found it. I cleaned it up and brought it with me the next morning. What I hadnt noticed was that it wasnt that the crown had come loose but the post had broken off.

All that being said, they did a root canal, did something called a buildup and then posted it again. Then I had to wait on a new crown cause the old one was no good. Surprisingly my dentist did not charge me any extra for that and I was not charged for a second crown. It was installed and I have had no further issues with it.

Hello,

After a hard bite, the crown became loose and the crown with the attached post fell out.

Now, there is nothing left of the tooth above the gum line.

The original crown was placed 12 years ago after the root canals treatment.

Did anybody have this done?

3-D X-ray is scheduled for next week. I am trying to educate myself about different possible options before my appointment.

Thank you

it all depends on how much sound tooth structure you have above the bone level. you need a minimum of 2 mm of tooth to put the crown on plus 3 mm for healthy " biologic width" above the bone. sometimes you can do crown lengthening by removing some bone to expose more tooth. it all depends on how much bone you have, if you have any gum disease, and how much tooth is left to work with.

About 7 years ago I was having a tooth crowned and after they got done, I had to wear a temporary for a couple of weeks. The day before my appt (a Sunday of course) I was eating chinese food and realized I had a loose crown in my mouth. I spit what food I had in there and found it. I cleaned it up and brought it with me the next morning. What I hadnt noticed was that it wasnt that the crown had come loose but the post had broken off.

All that being said, they did a root canal, did something called a buildup and then posted it again. Then I had to wait on a new crown cause the old one was no good. Surprisingly my dentist did not charge me any extra for that and I was not charged for a second crown. It was installed and I have had no further issues with it.

I had a similar thing with similar outcome back in 1999. It was my first day in New Orleans, at my new job (the one I retired from), and I broke it off at the gumline eating a green salad that apparently had a tiny pebble in it. Anyway the broken tooth made me look awful, like a snaggletoothed old hag, and I knew that was not any way to impress new co-workers or supervisors. I didn't know a dentist or anybody in Louisiana so I picked a dentist at random. I choose one who had an office in the "high rent district", figuring that if rich people liked him then maybe he was good.

He had a newly graduated dental student helping him out, and I got the student that very same afternoon after work. Oh well! The student saved my tooth with a buildup, the same way Jeffman52's tooth was saved. I was thrilled, and so was the young dentist. I was his very first patient ever.

In fact I was so impressed that he is still my dentist 25 years later. Best dentist I ever had.

TL ; DR Yes, I had that happen and a dentist fixed it. Go to your dentist ASAP.

I had a similar experience about 22 years ago. My dentist sent me off to have a crown lengthening (odd term for what's really a gum shortening) after which I had a post and crown installed. That lasted 21 years until last spring.

I was having a small area of decay fixed on it and got the uh oh sound. By the time all the decay was cleared, the tooth was again too short for a crown. Options were another crown lengthening which wasn't guaranteed since I'd already had one there, a bridge, an implant or just extract and let it go.

I went with the implant which was competed last fall. A crown lengthening may do the trick for you and is a good option.

Ding, ding, ding, ding! I think we have a winner for "dentist of the year award." Nice that you found him/her.

I had a similar thing with similar outcome back in 1999. It was my first day in New Orleans, at my new job (the one I retired from), and I broke it off at the gumline eating a green salad that apparently had a tiny pebble in it. Anyway the broken tooth made me look awful, like a snaggletoothed old hag, and I knew that was not any way to impress new co-workers or supervisors. I didn't know a dentist or anybody in Louisiana so I picked a dentist at random. I choose one who had an office in the "high rent district", figuring that if rich people liked him then maybe he was good.

He had a newly graduated dental student helping him out, and I got the student that very same afternoon after work. Oh well! The student saved my tooth with a buildup, the same way Jeffman52's tooth was saved. I was thrilled, and so was the young dentist. I was his very first patient ever.

In fact I was so impressed that he is still my dentist 25 years later. Best dentist I ever had.

TL ; DR Yes, I had that happen and a dentist fixed it. Go to your dentist ASAP.

Heh, heh, W2R's dentist get's second place for "dentist of the year."

Ding, ding, ding, ding! I think we have a winner for "dentist of the year award." Nice that you found him/her.

To add to that, I had an argument all worked up in my head on how she should at least meet me half way in the cost... but boy was I surprised at no extra charge. She is a really good dentist and a great person. She bought the practice from my previous dentist so I wasn't sure if I was going to like her or not. Turns out I had nothing to worry about:dance: and not sure my previous dentist wouldn't have charged me. I was sad to have to find another one when we moved.

To add to that, I had an argument all worked up in my head on how she should at least meet me half way in the cost... but boy was I surprised at no extra charge. She is a really good dentist and a great person. She bought the practice from my previous dentist so I wasn't sure if I was going to like her or not. Turns out I had nothing to worry about:dance: and not sure my previous dentist wouldn't have charged me. I was sad to have to find another one when we moved.

When we moved to the Islands, I found a good dentist, but I get most of my dental w*rk done at my old dentist when we return on "vacation." That's how much I like him and trust him. Having said that, he is NOT cheap. It's important to find someone you really trust and who treats you fairly.

They are still out there!!:)

Back
Top Bottom